My thoughts on why How to Dismantle sucked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFly84138

The Fly
I think the entire album from start to end is the most contrived, uninspired, musically and lyrically boring part of U2's catalog. "Vertigo" sounds like a last minute throw away with a bubble gum over-the-top hook that is repeated 50 times too many along with the "all of this can be yours" breakdown which is laughable and pathetic every time I hear it. Other songs such as "Miracle Drug," "Love and Peace or Else," and "All Because of You" represent U2 at their creative worst; overused subjects mixed with cheesy hooks and the same pop formula-intro, riff, verse, bridge, chorous repeat for 4 minutes. The reason why this album pissed and continues to piss me off is knowing what they are capable of with such recordings as Pop and Achtung Baby. Even The Joshua Tree album had different ideas about pop music and developed them into unique songs, whether it be gospel, soul or light ballads. Now they just sound like an excellent parody of themselves. I'm absolutely not a U2 hater nor do I ascribe fans according to what era of the catalog they prefer, all I'm saying is now that I've had roughly 7 months to digest the album I think the entire work is grossly lame and forgettable.

wow, i've never heard the other side before.
i don't think it's U2 at it's creative worst though!!
"Somtimes" is a great song and i think it's the best in the album, what do you think since your all anti-bomb
i'm not taking the piss i promace i just wanta know what u think

because i think fast cars sucked!!

I agree with you in some points but I'm very far to say that i don't like HTDAAB. I like it, you don't, each one with his views :|

City of Blinding Lights, One Step Closer, Sometimes, Crumbs from your table and Yahweh are five great songs. I'm not tired of saying it :wink:

The BEST songs on HTDAAB ...

Vertigo :dancing:
Miracle Drug :drool:
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own :applaud:
A Man And A Woman :love:
Original Of The Species :bow:
Fast Cars :wink:

The rest of the songs on The Bomb ... total disappointment !!:sad:

TheFly84138 said:
I think the entire album from start to end is the most contrived, uninspired, musically and lyrically boring part of U2's catalog. "Vertigo" sounds like a last minute throw away with a bubble gum over-the-top hook that is repeated 50 times too many along with the "all of this can be yours" breakdown which is laughable and pathetic every time I hear it. Other songs such as "Miracle Drug," "Love and Peace or Else," and "All Because of You" represent U2 at their creative worst; overused subjects mixed with cheesy hooks and the same pop formula-intro, riff, verse, bridge, chorous repeat for 4 minutes. The reason why this album pissed and continues to piss me off is knowing what they are capable of with such recordings as Pop and Achtung Baby. Even The Joshua Tree album had different ideas about pop music and developed them into unique songs, whether it be gospel, soul or light ballads. Now they just sound like an excellent parody of themselves. I'm absolutely not a U2 hater nor do I ascribe fans according to what era of the catalog they prefer, all I'm saying is now that I've had roughly 7 months to digest the album I think the entire work is grossly lame and forgettable.

Wow, Ive been waiting for someone to come out and say this...I agree 757%. All the songs are sub-par, maybe except crumbs and original. No flow at all it sounds like a greatist hits compilation by some high-school band. Havent listened to this album since December :madspit:

Well... I wouldn't say that I completely agree or disagree with you. But prepare to get flamed to the depths of hell for posting that. :wink:

I'll try to keep this short as this subject has been discussed to death here. Despite problems like over-production, mediocre lyrics and recycled sounds, I like the album overall because a.) Songs like Miracle Drug, Love And Peace, City, Crumbs and Yahweh are all pretty decent and remind me of the good stuff from their past! b.) Songs like All Because Of You, A Man And A Woman, Original and Fast Cars at least attempt on going in new directions. c.) It's upbeat overall with a very hopeful end in Yahweh. 'The sun is coming up on the ocean. This love is like a drop in the ocean.' Music that radiates a feeling of hope is I think much needed in these troubled times. But I'll also be quick to agree that the album has it's minus points too like the ones I mentioned before. And that Vertigo is nothing more than a big, dumb, unnecessarily loud opener with cheesy lyrics. Okay, the guitar bridge and the ringing sounds are pretty interesting. But that's about it.

I think I agree for the most part.

ATYCLB is better.

Niether are any match for any of the first nine U2 records.

HTDAAB is top 3 all time U2 albums, behind AB and JT. It's a straight rock record w/o the gimmicks of Pop. They sound comfortable in their own skin on this album, and they play off their strengths.

MrBrau1 said:
HTDAAB is top 3 all time U2 albums, behind AB and JT. It's a straight rock record w/o the gimmicks of Pop. They sound comfortable in their own skin on this album, and they play off their strengths.

I agree, with UF and HTDAAB pretty much neck in neck for number 3.

MrBrau1 said:

HTDAAB is my 3rd fav too, but behind War and AB instead. With every passing day, I'm getting more and more comfortable placing Bomb ahead of JT. I think it is stronger as a whole, the 2nd half of Bomb beats the 2nd half of JT by a comfortable margin. That doesn't mean I don't love One Tree Hill, but I've never got into In God's Country (now that song is U2 playing to all the stereotypes) and OOTS/Yahweh is head and shoulders above Exit/MOTD (live Exit is much better).

For the dude that hasn't listened to HTDAAB since December, it transformed into a total azz-kicker around Feb/March. :wink:

And to ShaunVox, back off bitch! :D

To each his/her own though...

Last edited:
2Hearts said:

the 2nd half of Bomb beats the 2nd half of JT by a comfortable margin. That doesn't mean I don't love One Tree Hill, but I've never got into In God's Country (now that song is U2 playing to all the stereotypes) and OOTS/Yahweh is head and shoulders above Exit/MOTD (live Exit is much better).

:ohmy: :shocked: :rant:

I wholeheartedly disagree on those blasphemous comments! :D

TheFly84138 said:

I dont think its that bad, its not there best, but it still is pretty dang good. And I dont think you have a good argument with the " intro, riff, verse, chorus, bridge" They"ve been doing that since they were together. However, Im still psst at U2 for not releasing it earlier without all the added production, and changes. Im pretty sure though that U2 will not release another safe album again

2Hearts said:

HTDAAB is my 3rd fav too, but behind War and AB instead. With every passing day, I'm getting more and more comfortable placing Bomb ahead of JT. I think it is stronger as a whole, the 2nd half of Bomb beats the 2nd half of JT by a comfortable margin. That doesn't mean I don't love One Tree Hill, but I've never got into In God's Country (now that song is U2 playing to all the stereotypes) and OOTS/Yahweh is head and shoulders above Exit/MOTD (live Exit is much better).

Oh my god. Are you kidding me?

Every song on JT is better than any song on HTDAAB. There is a reason why JT is considered one of the great records of all time.

Exit is dark, brooding, angry, superb rock. Mothers Of The Disappeared is a gorgeous, haunting, moving ballad, and reaches heights Yahweh can't even dream of.

And In God's Country is ridiculously catchy. They should play this song live more often, it's simple, relatively easy to play, not long, and it is a GREAT rock song.

JT = :drool:

Last edited:
smurf_sista said:

:sad: yea i was, apart from the lame U2 suck coz.... there old no one has ever given me a proper reason :sad:

i feel really stupid now :sad:

Eh, it's alright. I guess I've just seen way too many threads like this on this forum before. Once you've been here a little longer I think you'll see what I mean. No hard feelings. :wink:

MrBrau1 said:

If you honestly think this record doesn't have the gimickry of Pop, I feel sorry for you. Vertigo is a gimick.

What gimickry was there on Pop, again? I'm not talking about the videos or tour, just the music on the record.

actually elevation still manages to be even more gimmicky than vertigo.

imagine that, wow...

The album version of Elevation has some funk to it. If it had been given more oomph and Bono actually searched for a theme and lyrics that had more depth than your average advertising jingle, it has potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom