My thoughts on why How to Dismantle sucked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yimou said:

Let me help you.

1) Walk over to your CD collection and pick up ATYCLB
2) Now walk over to your stereo and put the disc in But DONT PUSH PLAY
3) Now sit down and relax.... Think about something nice for a few minutes.
4) Now you are ready to begin so choose song three and push play
5) Can it be true you ask !!, and yes it is true. What you are listening to is indeed a crap song.
6) When the song is over then feel free to take a few more minutes to relax.
7) Take the CD out of the stereo and put it wayyyy back in your collection.
8) Now hurry over to your computer and rewrite the part about U2 not making crap songs.

:wink:

And you are welcome.

as MrBrau1 we actually do have out own opinions, and really dont need people telling us what we do and dont like

so i really am sorry if i offend people by actually thinking HTDAAB is in my humble opinion in the top 3 of U2 albums, but your gonna tell me otherwise. so obviously what i think isnt what i think

I think there's some truth to what Earnie is saying.

We all WANT Bomb to be a U2 great, but its far, far from it. The same wishful effect happened with fans, other musicians, and even the music press, with their excessively fawning reviews when it was released.

"Its so much better than 99% of what's out there today" is a tired argument. How does it stack up against "War"? Or "Zooropa"?

Step away, and go have a listen to the U2 back catalog. I did recently, and have no intention of depressing myself by putting Bomb back into rotation.

MumblingBono said:

We all WANT Bomb to be a U2 great, but its far, far from it. The same wishful effect happened with fans, other musicians, and even the music press, with their excessively fawning reviews when it was released.

"Its so much better than 99% of what's out there today" is a tired argument. How does it stack up against "War"? Or "Zooropa"?

Step away, and go have a listen to the U2 back catalog. I did recently, and have no intention of depressing myself by putting Bomb back into rotation.

:applaud:

MumblingBono said:

For the last time, if you don't want to listen to it, don't! But, people , stop stating your opinion's as fact. My God, some people like the album.

And I prefer this album to Zooropa.

Earnie Shavers said:
The Bomb and ATYCLB are not bad albums, they're excellent. Very high quality. It's just that to me and many others they are over there while U2's other 9 albums are over here. It's not so much a comment on their quality, just how they feel. I honestly - not just when talking about them here, not just when talking about them with friends outside of here (where I have to build some sort of defence against "U2 are f*cked now") - but in my own head, honestly can't even begin to compare those two against War or The Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby or Zooropa. There's one pile of comparable U2 CD's sitting on the left hand side of me, Boy through to Pop, and on the right hand side of me there's ATYCLB and HTDAAB. The only things they happen to have in common for me is the band name on the front, the names of the individuals who made them, and the fact that every now and then there's a sound or feeling that reminds me of the other band that made those other 9 records, but it's usually a pretty fleeting moment and generally a pretty superficial version of what it is it makes me remember. I'm sure there are many that are very happy with what U2 have become. I'm sure that's all genuine. I'm sure there are plenty of people who see no change and are sure without a doubt that the songs on these last two albums are as good and as deep and as creative and exciting as those on the other 9 albums. For me though, I wouldn't waste my time making an argument for Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own against Running To Stand Still, I honestly couldn't do it. Sometimes may or may not be a good song in one sense, on a technical level, but it's not, to me, even in the same category or genre as Running To Stand Still. The last two albums aren't bad, they're just not the same thing as the other nine. U2 are now in the business of making tight, tidy, high quality, safe, shiny pop albums. I will compare those two (and any others in the future along those lines - which sadly is what I bet we get) only with each other and say they are both outstanding in achieving their goal. But versus other U2 albums? Whats generally thought of as the worst of the other nine? October? It's not a great album for sure, but it's got more feeling and spirit in one track then these last two albums combined. What's generally thought of as the worst song off Achtung Baby? Tryin' To Throw Your Arms? So Cruel? Ultraviolet? What's regarded as the best off the Bomb? Miracle Drug? Original of the Species? An album of songs at the level of quality of So Cruel, or an album of songs at the level of Original of the Species. Holy shit, I know what I would choose in a heartbeat. I don't listen to the type of music that Elevation is. Or Crumbs. Or Original of the Species. Or All Because of You. Whether it's by U2 or anyone else. I find it dull and boring and uninspiring, even when it's technically outstanding songwriting, I give it respect for that, but it does nothing for me and if it weren't for the fact that it was U2, I would never have bought HTDAAB or ATYCLB. I would have downloaded Love & Peace and In A Little While, and Beautiful Day reminds me of a Canadian gymnast I was having a fling with during the Sydney Olympics, so I probably would have downloaded that (good times), but the rest....... comparing it to Stay? To Where The Streets Have No Name? To One? To Promenade? To Out of Control? Yeah right. That's only two steps away from comparing Creed to U2 with any seriousness.

Remember how everyone raved over ATYCLB, then HTDAAB was released and suddenly ATYCLB goes pummeling down everyones charts? Here's my prediction... If U2 indeed still have it in them (I believe they do) and still have the balls, and go and release another album of great, amazing music along the lines of their previous nine, there will be a collective sigh of relief from EVERYONE in here and a general feeling of "Ooooooh I forgot about how good they could do this", and HTDAAB will slide, slide, slide down those charts as well. I sincerely hope they prove me right by releasing such an album, rather then another one of these...

In summary: The Bomb doesn't suck. It's just not fair to compare an album in the category of The Bomb & ATYCLB to an album that falls into the category of Boy, October, War, The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree, Rattle & Hum, Achtung Baby, Zooropa & Pop.

Thanks for letting me - and lots of people who enjoyed the last two albums - know how I should feel about the last two albums, about how they compare to the U2 catalogue (trust me, they're doing just fine where I'm standing), how songs from those compare to the "previous 9 albums" (4 out of my top 10 U2 songs are from ATYCLB and Bomb, thanks for asking. And that includes Running to stand still and Sometimes. And So cruel and Original of the species.) Thanks for assuming on my behalf what I will think of the Bomb when the next album comes. Thanks so much for telling me what eras of U2 to avoid and what to like.

Posts and attitudes like this make me hope they make another type of album like this (they do work in trilogies), then hopefully all this crap will go away.

I seriously can't believe how many of you are completely blowing Earnie's post out of proportion. I've read over it a few times now and I still don't see where he stated any of his opinions as fact or where he ever told anyone what to think about ATYCLB and HTDAAB.

All he did was SUGGEST that MAYBE people would feel a certain way once the next record is released. That is far from telling anyone how to feel about the records. And before that suggestion, were the words "Here's my prediction". As in why he thinks will happen, not what he knows will happen. Big difference.

Geez.

Discotheque, The Fly and Numb all fall into the same category: they were thrown out there to make the public believe that U2 was still fresh and new and still full of new ideas. Each song is good, but I still prefer Numb to Discotheque, and I think the brilliance of The Fly was years ahead of its time. Discotheque was fun for a few months, but now when I hear it, it sounds so contrived and boring. Its not as good to me as say Gone or Please, but it is definitely better than Staring At The Sun.

OK, so the last two albums have been overhyped, no doubt, but they are not "false" or "crap". That's overblown rhetoric thrown around the blue crack walls that never really sticks. The 90's U2 fanatics just can't come to grips with the fact that U2 is a Pop/Rock band who play guitar, bass and drums and decided they wanted to return back to that format. Nothing wrong with that, right? I mean the band is finally able to write nicely crafted songs. Songs that don't meander and wander to and fro and they want to showcase that at this period of time. So we have these last two albums, good for the boys to follow their hearts and minds.

U2 will experiment again, but they won't experiment to the point of releasing a UF or Pop. Albums, which while very good to great but have some moments which are completely out of focus, or have songs that just aren't truly finished to the bands liking. I won't impose my views on those albums because I don't really care to. Music is all personal preference friends.

namkcuR said:
I seriously can't believe how many of you are completely blowing Earnie's post out of proportion. I've read over it a few times now and I still don't see where he stated any of his opinions as fact or where he ever told anyone what to think about ATYCLB and HTDAAB.

All he did was SUGGEST that MAYBE people would feel a certain way once the next record is released. That is far from telling anyone how to feel about the records. And before that suggestion, were the words "Here's my prediction". As in why he thinks will happen, not what he knows will happen. Big difference.

Geez.

Amen..

thanks guys.... nice to know how i will feel once a new album is out, i dont need to buy it now, as you guys have already told us all what will happen

oh i love the bomb, but i must hate it :huh:

KUEFC09U2 said:
thanks guys.... nice to know how i will feel once a new album is out, i dont need to buy it now, as you guys have already told us all what will happen

For the last time, he said it was a PREDICTION!! Do any of you know what a prediction is?

Main Entry: pre·dict
Pronunciation: pri-'dikt
Function: verb
Foretell on the basis of observation, experience, or scientific reason

Obviously scientific reason doesn't work here. But it's a prediction based on past observation and experience.

Step away, and go have a listen to the U2 back catalog. I did recently, and have no intention of depressing myself by putting Bomb back into rotation. [/B]

I've done this as well. It's U2's 3rd best album, behind AB and JT.

ponkine said:
hey !!! so you`re back, I missed your intelligent comments ...

haha....you have absolutely no insight whatsoever, its the same repetitive drivel trotted out time and and time again without anything to back it up, so you use a gazillion smilies to pad things out.. when you can make a coherent argument, let me know! :)

MrBrau1 said:

I've done this as well. It's U2's 3rd best album, behind AB and JT.

1.AB
2.Zooropa/Pop(Tie)
3.Joshua Tree
4.War/The Unforgettable Fire(Tie)
5.Rattle And Hum
6.Boy/October(Tie)
7.ATYCLB
8.HTDAAB

namkcuR said:

1.AB
2.Zooropa/Pop(Tie)
3.Joshua Tree
5.Rattle And Hum
6.Boy/October(Tie)
7.ATYCLB
8.HTDAAB

Our top 3 has some similarities:

1.AB
2.JT
3.HTDAAB
4.Boy
5.War
6.UF
7.Zooropa
8.ATYCLB
9.October
10.R&H
11.Pop

KUEFC09U2 said:
it really is the zooropa and pop lovers that hate HTDAAB

wow

And what's funny about that is that those two albums are the most leftfield albums they've ever made. They share little with any of the albums that preceded them, save AB. Kudos to U2 for making them and taking chances, but that doesn't necessarily make them great.

I stand by my assertion that those who discovered U2 in 92 - 98 are the most vocal fans of Zooropa/Pop. Those albums intertwine the experiences they had during those albums heydays. Great, I love War and Joshua Tree for similar reasons, but I'm not going to discredit anything else they made afterward for these reasons.

namkcuR said:

1.AB
2.Zooropa/Pop(Tie)
3.Joshua Tree
5.Rattle And Hum
6.Boy/October(Tie)
7.ATYCLB
8.HTDAAB

Zooropa is indeed better than The Joshua Tree. :bow: :bow:

And there was me thinking you were just a 90's obsessed U2 fan...

Sleep Over Jack said:
What a fucking awful post.

Sleep Over Jack said:
haha....you have absolutely no insight whatsoever, its the same repetitive drivel trotted out time and and time again without anything to back it up, so you use a gazillion smilies to pad things out.. when you can make a coherent argument, let me know! :)

jack, the personal attacks need to stop now. thanks! :wave:

KUEFC09U2 said:

Riiiiight, look, as has been pointed out, it's just a prediction. If I'd said "I predict that in 5 years The Bomb will only have grown in stature and recognition" I'd be greeted with a round of applause and agreeance, Because I dared suggest that it will fall, not rise, that's where your problem is. I'm sure I wouldn't hear a whisper of complaint if I'd said it will rise. I am NOT questioning any individuals beliefs in the album or tastes in music.

Earnie Shavers said:

Riiiiight, look, as has been pointed out, it's just a prediction. If I'd said "I predict that in 5 years The Bomb will only have grown in stature and recognition" I'd be greeted with a round of applause and agreeance, Because I dared suggest that it will fall, not rise, that's where your problem is. I'm sure I wouldn't hear a whisper of complaint if I'd said it will rise. I am NOT questioning any individuals beliefs in the album or tastes in music.

I have absolutley no problem with that. Who know's if more or less people who will like the album 5 years from now?

I do disagree with the first post in the thread

"I think the entire album from start to end is the most contrived, uninspired, musically and lyrically boring part of U2's catalog"

NEIN!

TheFly84138 said:
I think the entire album from start to end is the most contrived, uninspired, musically and lyrically boring part of U2's catalog. "Vertigo" sounds like a last minute throw away with a bubble gum over-the-top hook that is repeated 50 times too many along with the "all of this can be yours" breakdown which is laughable and pathetic every time I hear it. Other songs such as "Miracle Drug," "Love and Peace or Else," and "All Because of You" represent U2 at their creative worst; overused subjects mixed with cheesy hooks and the same pop formula-intro, riff, verse, bridge, chorous repeat for 4 minutes. The reason why this album pissed and continues to piss me off is knowing what they are capable of with such recordings as Pop and Achtung Baby. Even The Joshua Tree album had different ideas about pop music and developed them into unique songs, whether it be gospel, soul or light ballads. Now they just sound like an excellent parody of themselves. I'm absolutely not a U2 hater nor do I ascribe fans according to what era of the catalog they prefer, all I'm saying is now that I've had roughly 7 months to digest the album I think the entire work is grossly lame and forgettable.

Gotta say your absolutley right! They say they are better song writers now, this is bollox of course. A U2 song used to be written in a different way than other bands. Now its "lets hit you with the chorus 25 times and here's another chorus just for good measure". U2's past 2 albums have that "best of" feel to them. No structure just single after single. Chorus after chorus, pop tune after pop tune.

Yeah but Edge says "their best work is still in front of them"......
I don't have that belief myself!:wink:

Earnie Shavers said:
The album version of Elevation has some funk to it. If it had been given more oomph and Bono actually searched for a theme and lyrics that had more depth than your average advertising jingle, it has potential.

The album version of Elevation is actually pretty good where they don't overplay the whoooooosss and it had SOUL. The single version sounding like a rehashed Busted kiddie version or something and sucked big time!:wink:

MrBrau1 said:

I feel sorry for you not being able to see through middle-aged men playing hipsters. Vertigo a gimmick? And Discotheque isn't?

Discotheque is a GREAAAAAAAAAAAT song! Vertigo's ok but hasn't got that creative genuis of Discotheque!:wink:

MrBrau1 said:

For me, it the worst squander of a guitar riff in the history of rock.
This perfect riff (recorded on an acoustic guitar BTW) sits second chair to stylized beats and trendy production. What a waste.

And you say this because in Discotheque we had no Edge chimming, twanging echo laden 80's guitar.:wink:

yimou said:

Let me help you.

1) Walk over to your CD collection and pick up ATYCLB
2) Now walk over to your stereo and put the disc in But DONT PUSH PLAY
3) Now sit down and relax.... Think about something nice for a few minutes.
4) Now you are ready to begin so choose song three and push play
5) Can it be true you ask !!, and yes it is true. What you are listening to is indeed a crap song.
6) When the song is over then feel free to take a few more minutes to relax.
7) Take the CD out of the stereo and put it wayyyy back in your collection.
8) Now hurry over to your computer and rewrite the part about U2 not making crap songs.

:wink:

And you are welcome.

Gotta say this is spot on! SYCMIOYO sucks big time and reminds me of Aerosmiths contrived terrible awful fuckin' nonense "Don't wanna miss a thing", christ I hate that song!

rjhbonovox said:

And you say this because in Discotheque we had no Edge chimming, twanging echo laden 80's guitar.:wink:

You truely are one of the dumbest posters on this board. I LIKE the riff in Discotheque. Go back and do your homework.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom