My thoughts on the U2/IPod/ITunes venture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
As I watched the video clip of the announcement, all 45 minutes of it, I became acutely aware of three things:

One, Steve Jobs is tragically in love with himself.

Two, I cannot wait to hear this new record.

Three, Jobs is good at making things sound better than they are.

In the video, he said the 400 songs in 'The Complete U2' would be comprised of all of the albums including the new one, 25 rare tracks, and some live stuff(Bono may have added the 'some live stuff' part). How much you wanna bet it's just the audio of the concert videos/dvds they've released? So 6*20 tracks per concert, that's another 120 right there. Let's say the albums are 12 per(rounding), 15 albums, that's gonna be close to 180. 180 + 120 = 300 + 25 = 325, and that's already most of the 400. Maybe some live boots. I wouldn't expect anything truely rare or unheard of though. All I can say is that we better be able to pick and choose tracks, because to pay $149(or $99) for a collection of music most of us already have is just stupid, and ultimately pointless. If we can choose to download just the 20 tracks we don't have, that's fine. I have a bad feeling about it though.

As for the IPod...I LOVE IPod. I HAVE an IPod. And it works just fine, and it's already got the entire U2 catalog plus the rest of my music collection on it. The U2 IPod looks very sleek, and the signatures and poster are nice bonuses, but there's no way in hell anybody who already owns an IPod should shell out ANY money for this. It's the same thing on the inside.

The bottom line is, if you're a U2 fan who doesn't own an IPod and doesn't own that much of their music, than this whole thing is a great deal for you, $450 for an IPod and the entire U2 catalog. But if you already own an IPod and/or the bulk of U2's catalog, pass this up. Load your U2 catalog onto your white IPod, put your earbuds on, start the music, and close your eyes. There is no difference. Don't be fooled by Jobs' enthusiastic praising of his own product as if it were the second coming of Jesus.

Last edited:
namkcuR said:
...because to pay $149(or $99) for a collection of music most of us already have is just stupid, and ultimately pointless. If we can choose to download just the 20 tracks we don't have, that's fine. I have a bad feeling about it though.

The bottom line is... if you already own the bulk of U2's catalog, pass this up. Don't be fooled by Jobs' enthusiastic praising of his own product as if it were the second coming of Jesus.

I chopped up your post a lot, but I think we're on a similar page here. Thank you.

I agree completely with your post. I do not have an ipod but have wanted one, so I will get it. Not sure if I will get the digital box set, probably not worth it to me. I hope I can download what I don't have individually.

While you do not say this outright, I also think that if someone does not want/need any of this, then just don't buy it. Stop whining about U2 selling out. If you don't buy it, it does not adversely effect you.

Oh, and I would hope that Steve Jobs is better at making things sound better than they are. How do you think he has gotten successful?

In the computer industry it is called the Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Feed.

I should have said "Reality Distortion Field" actually. I like Steve Jobs, not sure why you made that comment. All Apple equipment in this house.

However, he could sell oil to Saudia Arabia.

I dont have an ipod. But I will be buying the U2 one, and probably the boxed set. I do already own all of their releases, but most of my cds are in pretty bad shape. So $99 really seems like the best way to go, rather than either downloading all their music track by track off of kazaa or soulseek, or buying a hard copy of each album.

i've a mini disc.
But i've sorta wanted an iPod, and i am going to get the U2 One.
I wont be getting the iTunes however...until they are avalible in australia.

bono_man2002 said:
I wont be getting the iTunes however...until they are avalible in australia.

That's one of the reasons why I'm opposed to this. What is the use of this product if the much-promoted unreleased tracks are only available to people in four countries worldwide? That's poor marketing and distribution. Though I'm not worried - I am very doubtful any of these recordings will be anything we haven't heard. Not only do I have The Fool, I have a LOSSLESS copy. My personal preference is lossless music and I have no interest in the iPod.

namkcuR said:
In the video, he said the 400 songs in 'The Complete U2' would be comprised of all of the albums including the new one, 25 rare tracks, and some live stuff(Bono may have added the 'some live stuff' part). How much you wanna bet it's just the audio of the concert videos/dvds they've released? So 6*20 tracks per concert, that's another 120 right there. Let's say the albums are 12 per(rounding), 15 albums, that's gonna be close to 180. 180 + 120 = 300 + 25 = 325, and that's already most of the 400. Maybe some live boots. I wouldn't expect anything truely rare or unheard of though.

Well ... I just did a quick count of the songs listed on this page and there are approximately 620 songs that have been officially released and featured all or some of U2 in some capacity.

Re: Re: My thoughts on the U2/IPod/ITunes venture

Axver said:

Well ... I just did a quick count of the songs listed on this page and there are approximately 620 songs that have been officially released and featured all or some of U2 in some capacity.

Well its no uncommon for U2 to shortchange their consumers. The "complete U2" isn't really that complete after all.

Cheers,

J

Re: Re: Re: My thoughts on the U2/IPod/ITunes venture

jick said:

Well its no uncommon for U2 to shortchange their consumers. The "complete U2" isn't really that complete after all.

Cheers,

J

Oooh he's just soooo controversial!

jick said:

Cheers,

J

Explain, when have we been shortchanged before? The only thing that bugs me is the amount of time between albums, but most bands would't even still be around at 25 years, so who am I to complain?

Though I am concerned about this complete U2 thing, don't want to buy it for a few songs, which are probably nothing special anyway.

What about the bigger picture - is this just the beginning? Will U2 start releasing digital box sets of live concerts eventually? I know that there would be a lot of work remastering, etc. but wouldn't this be the format/medium best suited for mass marketing live shows?

Think of the possibilities...

Re: Re: Re: Re: My thoughts on the U2/IPod/ITunes venture

bsp77 said:

Explain, when have we been shortchanged before? The only thing that bugs me is the amount of time between albums, but most bands would't even still be around at 25 years, so who am I to complain?

Shortchanged? U2's career is riddled with shortchange:

-releasing unfinished album (POP)

-cancelling Popmart Raleigh show

-cancelling second European leg of Elevation Tour

-making cd's available only to Propaganda subscribers

-promising to release THTBA as a single with a new mix of Playboy Mansion but it never got released

-constant delays with every album (Pop was promised an autumn 96 release, HTDAAB should have been done late last year)

-despite taking forever to make albums, we only get 11 songs (other bands give more)

-promising to include the (in)complete U2 with the iPod then changing the promise

-being one member lacking in the `93 oz gig

-cutting short a Lovetown european date because of a bad voice

-having a short setlist on the second slane show because they started the concert late as they watched football (soccer) and waited for it to finish before starting the show

Oh well, I can go on and one. I think you get my drift. U2 does shortchange.

Cheers,

J

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My thoughts on the U2/IPod/ITunes venture

jick said:

Shortchanged? U2's career is riddled with shortchange:

-releasing unfinished album (POP)

-cancelling Popmart Raleigh show

-cancelling second European leg of Elevation Tour

-making cd's available only to Propaganda subscribers

-promising to release THTBA as a single with a new mix of Playboy Mansion but it never got released

-constant delays with every album (Pop was promised an autumn 96 release, HTDAAB should have been done late last year)

-despite taking forever to make albums, we only get 11 songs (other bands give more)

-promising to include the (in)complete U2 with the iPod then changing the promise

-being one member lacking in the `93 oz gig

-cutting short a Lovetown european date because of a bad voice

-having a short setlist on the second slane show because they started the concert late as they watched football (soccer) and waited for it to finish before starting the show

Oh well, I can go on and one. I think you get my drift. U2 does shortchange.

Cheers,

J

Oh my God. Compare that to other bands that have been around this long. That list is pathetic, try waking up on the right side of the bed.

Let's see what you mentioned:

You mention Pop being unfinished AND taking too long to finish. There is a slight contradiction there. You also love that album, so why do YOU bring that up?

Cancelling shows. Yes, that is bad, but everyone has done it. Doesn't make it right, but if that is all they have cancelled, bravo.

CD's only available to Propaganda subscribers. That is called a fan club and they let their loyal fans get stuff. Just a stupid complaint.

Not releasing Hand That Built America as a single. Fine if that bothers you, but not a big deal to most.

Only 11 songs. This has been discussed ad nauseum elsewhere, but at least they make quality songs, not a really long album with filler. Most CDs over an hour feel long.

Not including the complete U2 in the ipod. Would of been great, but did the band ever promise that? I think we just heard that there would be an ipod and all the songs, and we made the connection ourselves.

One gig without one member. Completely ridiculous, in 25 years that happened once. Most bands have had people get fired, overdose, quit, etc. Oh, would you have them cancel instead, I thought that was a grievance.

Bottom line, when are you actually happy?

jick said:

Cheers,

J

I don't think that's a valid criticism. As I said, all those songs feature U2 in 'some capacity'. I did not check each individual song to see the involvement of U2 - some were simply written by Bono or featured Edge's backing vocals for one line or whatnot.

I guess it depends what you count as 'the complete U2'.

yes Jick... U2 are sooooo shortchanged...

they even got time to go to Sarajevo and wanted to play for FREE...

they just think of themselves...

Sometimes I think you just want them to retire so you can "prove your points"...

:|

This is stupid...

Back
Top Bottom