my thought on bomb....a year on...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KUEFC09U2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
well not quite a year, but close, and i must say i have grown even fonder of this album, i loved it when it first came out, but i love it even more now for some reason, the songs are speaking to me more, Miracle drug has become one of my fav U2 songs of all time, along with COBL and sometimes,

just thought i would share that with y'all, even though am pretty sure we will get some comments of a negative nature in this thread :)

Well after a year, I still enjoy it. I'd still rate it very high among other U2 albums - no.3.

In particular COBL and Crumbs grew on me, but I can't get to enjoy A man and a woman.

Last edited:
U2girl said:
Well after a year, I still enjoy it. I'd still rate it very high among other U2 albums.

In particular COBL and Crumbs grew on me, but I can't get to enjoy A man and a woman.

Oh yes, you can. You like the single version. :wink:

i liked it form the beggining and now i love it, number 3 on my list

It has some great songs on it. Tied for 2nd with JT for me, witch AB being my favorite.

I loved it at first, just because it was new U2. It's gone up and down since then and right now it's pretty low. It doesn't hold a candle to UF or Joshua or Achtung or Zooropa or Pop.

It's maybe not the "concept" album that some people wanted but..it's consistently packed with great songs. I thought it was their 3rd best album when it came out, my opinion hasn't changed one little bit.

****** Fast cars - should 've been first single

***** - crumbs , best song , i'll drink to that

***** Miracle Drug - great song

****Yahweh - simple , but good

***Vertigo - nice and short

*** - Original of the species
sweet

*** - sometimes

Love And Peace Or else

glam rock , done that

city of blinding lights
u2 playing u2 =streets

man and a woman - b-side

Still love the album. Fast Cars has surprisingly grown to be my favorite song on the album. Right behind it comes Crumbs and Miracle Drug.

Great, great songs.

I've loved the album since the release, I was going through a difficult time and the songs on there seemed like they were made about my situation, twas weird

Miracle Drug, Vertigo, All Because of You, and Yahweh were my insant favorites, and now I don't listen to them as much

COBL, Original, Sometimes, Love and Peace, Fast Cars, and Crumbs I listen to alot now

I'll say what I've always said:

To me HTDAAB has a lot of incredible songs, but doesn't flow very well and therefor is not a great "album" to me.

It has managed to stay in regular rotation for a year and I've listened to TJT maybe 4 times in the last year, so I do really love the songs. It just seems that you could mix and match them any way and it doesn't really change the dynamic of the album.

One place I think U2 missed is they should have had Sometimes/OSC/COBL in order and have them seguing together...you should try it, it has an awesome flow!

great album, no weak songs on it.

vertigo = when it first came out loved it. then it got overplayed and the I-Pod commerical absolutely killed it for me. But now that it has died down and the AD is gone, it's a brilliant song. Great rocker. A couple mistakes though. Dont like the "all of this can be yours, no one gets hurt" bridge that much.

Miracle Drug = this song is still incredible. the opening guitar riff is so beautiful, the opening verse is amazing as well. I think the second verse struggles, especially the "reason is on our side...love...love..." i dont like the way Bono sings that. But after that, pure magic. Edge's guitar solo, then his verse, and then the powerful chorus sung by Bono is phenominal.

Sometimes = beautiful song, the lyrics are great cause I can relate to them and the chorus is simple yet heartfelt. I got tired of it with the tour because honestly, the live version hasnt done much for me at all, I like the album version a lot more. But my best friend past away in late August due to cancer (he was only 26) and this was the song that I played a lot after it happened. Helped get the tears out...the second verse of this tune was a perfect statement about our friendship.

Love and Peace or Else = good song, love the music and Edge's guitar solo at the end. In the end , though, I listen to it when I wake up or when I'm working out. I don't really "pay attention" to it, I just find Bono's lyrics to be kind of cheesy. Especially the end with "where is the love?".

City of Blinding Lights = Maybe the best track on the CD but its killed because of horrible production. I rarely listen to it on album, strictly live bootlegs. Edge's guitar just pierces through the speakers, incredible. Still, beautiful song which I thought would have been a bigger hit. That chorus is so addicitive.

All Because of You = Was my favorite song off the BOMB in the beginning, I've grown tired of it. But still in-your-face rock tune which I like because of Edge's guitar riffs. Still think the guitar solo followed by the "I'm alive!!" verse is a great u2 moment. Think it fell out for me because of the live version, I think it is really bad compared to the album version.

Man and a Woman = like this song more and more. ya its soft, and cheesy, and it sounds like something michael jackson might do. It's still got a killer bassline though. it's a great song.

Crumbs from Your Table = another song that I like more and more, one of my favorites on the album. Just a great rock tune, good to sing along to.

One Step Closer = great atmospheric track, probably my least favorite off of the album. Still a very good song, reminds me of "for the first time" but not as good.

Original of the species = like COBL, bad production, can you even hear Edge's guitar? it dissapoints me because of it's potential. Listen to the Conan O'Brien performance, that was great. Could have been a Beatles song.

Yahweh = good song but I like the alternate version better. Love the way the song ends, but it's on the bottom half of the record for me.

Over time, I don't know where I would rate this record. It is definetly behind AB and JT but definetly ahead of ATYCLB and War. I had it above Boy, Zooropa, and Pop but after a year I'm thinking it might rise above them or sink below them. We'll see how it stands the test of time. I believe it will.

I will say though that the statement Bono made about it is dead on. A great collection of songs but....

namkcuR said:
I loved it at first, just because it was new U2. It's gone up and down since then and right now it's pretty low. It doesn't hold a candle to UF or Joshua or Achtung or Zooropa or Pop.

Ditto... every word.

after nearly one year the dust had settled i can say that i don't like the dismantled bomb. my ratings after one year:

VERTIGO 6/10 - nice
MIRACLE DRUG 3/10 - boring and live a desaster
SYCMIOYO 3/10 - boring and overrated
LAPOE 9/10 - best song
COBL 6/10 - nice
ABOY 5/10 - nice, the last minute is fantastic
AMAAW 3/10 - boring
CFYT 4/10 - ???
OSC 7/10 - sounds like a zooropa leftover
OOTS 5/10 - nice
YAHWEH 6/10 - the alternate version is more interesting stuff

overall i rate the socalled bomb 5/10. that means its mediocre. i have a big problem how they sound on the last two albums. its too polished and overproduced and too many chimes. i hope they do better and rawer next time.

Well most of you will know I'm a huge fan of this album, but I do kinda agree with the comments about it's flow. It has 11 very good songs, but the flow could be better.

My ratings, all outta 5:

Vertigo - 3.5
Miracle Drug - 4
Sometimes - 4
Love and Peace or Else - 4
City of Blinding Lights - 5
All Because of You - 4
A Man and a Woman - 4
Crumbs From Your Table - 4
One Step Closer - 3.5
Original of the Species - 4
Yahweh - 4
EXTRAS
Fast Cars - 3.5
Smile - 4
Mercy - 5

What can you say about an album which has songs like
Miracle Drug
Sometimes You Can´t Make It On Your Own
Original of the Species
Love and Peace or Else
City of Blinding Lights
One Step Closer

:heart: :heart: :heart:

How to Dismante an Atomic Bomb is an incredible piece of art

I loved (and still do) ATYCLB but got bored very quickly with Bomb. I gave it another chance recently and while I like several songs, MD and SYCMOYO drag this down too much to recover.

I'm vowing to not read any band members comments about upcomming albums. When I hear, "this is going to be a monster driven by Edge's angry guitar" and get this, I can't help but be disappointed.

Who knows, maybe they have the above discribed album on a shelf somewhere ready to dust off and release in the future.

babyman said:
How to Dismante an Atomic Bomb is an incredible piece of art

Yes, and McDonald's is an incredible five-star restaurant, providing only the highest quality in cusine, with caviar, champagne, and fine wine.

I was listening to Miracle Drug the other day and noticed Edge's verse for the first time, made me smile. I can't believe I hadn't even noticed it in concert or anything.

great album, but nowhere near on par with their past stuff. VERY disappointing to get home with the record, put out the lights and switch on the stereo. (something I'd always wanted to do and I had FOUR years to wait for a new album)

Vertigo is still fantastic, but I heard 'Miracle Drug' when it leaked and have to say I was kind of worrying about the album and waited for the album to come out before listening to the rest, since I wanted to wait anyway.

But, yeah...throughout I was getting really disappointed at what a waste of time it was getting psyched up for some huge ROCK-OUT after all the quotes people piled up. 'Love and Peace or Else', 'All Because of You' and 'Vertigo' count I guess, but anyone who says it was the 'rocky' album they were expecting is just kidding themselves.

Thankfully, I loved 'A Man and a Woman' (what the HELL was that B-side 'acoustic' version) but then 'One Step Closer' came on and it just pissed me off...there's some slide guitar that makes it sound like a country ballad and that 'busy intersection' line made me cringe when I first heard.

finally, 'Original of the Species' [fond memories with that one] and 'Yahweh' bloody SAVED the entire album. just as I was getting really disappointed with it!

The album is like the really good friend who always annoys you with crap jokes or something, but you really like for the positive stuff. There's what I consider filler considering the awesomeness of 'Are You Gonna Wait Forever?' and 'Fast Cars' [speaking for yanks, there... I naturally REVELLED in the track's glory on my glorious british compact disc] but some tracks are the best U2 have done for quite a while, so I think it's worth

7/10

It has gained very little ground with me, since tanking right out of the gate after the first chime of Miracle Drug. As others have said, it was hyped to be something it's not. Furthermore, the following songs rank with the most easily forgotten songs every put to vinyl by U2:

Miracle Drug
Sometimes
City of Blinding Lights
All Because of You

It ranks "decent" due to Crumbs, Yahweh, and of course Vertigo.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom