My theory on the title of the next album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rockonedge

Acrobat
I'm sure you guys have done this before, but when i was thinking through all the albums i kind of started to notice a pattern..its just for the albums, i left out the best ofs and eps

Boy - not really a specific song on the album, more of a general theme

October- there's a song, "October" on the album

War- again, no specific song, more of a theme

The Unforgettable Fire- the song "The unforgettable fire" (a very beautiful one at that too! :D )

The Joshua Tree- theme

Rattle and Hum- this is where it doesn't quite fit the pattern, but "rattle and hum" is taken from a song, BTBS, which is on the album

Achtung Baby- not from a song or a song itself (technically, even though i think its said during the fly, but i can never hear it :scratch:) a sort of theme perhaps. or a tribute to producers lol

Zooropa- the song zooropa

POP- the anti theme, but a theme. if POP's pop, then maybe i would listen to top 40 :rolleyes:

All That You Can't Leave Behind - gotta fudge the pattern a little bit, but its from "walk on" which is a song from the album....so it work in a way.

so if you missed that, starting with boy its:

theme
song
theme
song
theme
song
theme
song
theme
song

which would then possibly mean that the title of the next album's title would be a theme that connects the songs somehow rather than being a specific song. what do you all think?

I suggest taking less of the wackey tabacky.... ;)

Seriously Rockonedge, and I'm not trying to be mean or condecending here, but do you REALLY think that U2 puts that much thought into these types of things?

I mean, it's an interesting theory and all, but I think that sometimes we as fans look waaaaaaayyyyyyyyy to much into stuff like this. As a musician, I can tell you, when you're jamming in the studio, and you're trying to think of lyrics and titles, you don't always get all deep and philasophical and esoteric. Sometimes you just put down the first thing that comes to mind.

I think of Achtung Baby as a perfect example. They just wanted something flip and nonsense as a title. It just of well have been "A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicylcle". And that might just have been a better title IMO.

popkidu2 said:
I suggest taking less of the wackey tabacky.... ;)

Seriously Rockonedge, and I'm not trying to be mean or condecending here, but do you REALLY think that U2 puts that much thought into these types of things?

Well, surely they did not plan that, but that is just coincidentally how it's been. I think that's all that rockonedge is saying. If that coincidental pattern were to continue is what rockonedge is getting it.

Originally posted by Bonochick

Well, surely they did not plan that, but that is just coincidentally how it's been. I think that's all that rockonedge is saying. If that coincidental pattern were to continue is what rockonedge is getting it.

:yes: Thats what i meant, it was just a weird pattern i notice thats all and i was wondering if anyone else noticed and it could be a fun way to predict what the new title really could be. :) lol i know they didnt' mean to do it that way :p

I am inclined to agree with Strato Edge. Hanover Quay studio is to be demolished, probably early next year. So it wouldn't surprise me if U2 honoured it in their next album.

Keep the Faith!

I think they should call it Full Metal Jacket after one of the songs that is supposedly on it. I think it's a cool name for a song and an album and it is descriptive of the "rawking" sound that we are expecting from the album as a whole.

Mango said:
I think they should call it Full Metal Jacket after one of the songs that is supposedly on it. I think it's a cool name for a song and an album and it is descriptive of the "rawking" sound that we are expecting from the album as a whole.

The band might garner some legal problems if they used that title due to the use of "Full Metal Jacket" on a semi-old Kubrick film... Not that there would be any confusion.. but you know what I'm saying...

Last edited:
I hope if anything, anything they call it at all, that they don't make it a self-titled album.

That is so unimaginative and boring.

Given the history of the band, that seems like a mundane idea, so I hope that they keep with the trend.

Probably more likely that the new title will be a 'theme'.

Full Metal Sunglasses?
Full Metal Skull Cap?
Full Metal Glasses?
Full Metal.....uh.....T-Shirt?

Seriously, I'm just mad that U2 broke up their 'every album has a different letter of the alphabet' pattern with ATYCLB. Now they'll have to make an extra album in their career to finish the pattern.

Back
Top Bottom