My theory on the quickly sold out GAs on TicketBastard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missmacphisto

Refugee
BOMB TICKETMASTER!!!!!!
mad.gif

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

Good point Melon.

I would definitely subscribe to the conspiracy theory in this situation. Ticketmaster and the brokers both win by dealing with each other under the table. We, as fans, cannot compete with bribes. Someday, I can see there being a big scam uncovered with ticketmaster. If I could find a way to expose them right now, I would do it.

AJ

Really, the managers for a lot of performers must be aware of the suspicion of such shenanigans. There are three things that could be done to stop this:

1. Bands could voluntarily stop doing business with Ticketmaster. They really should, as they're the ones who are really getting cheated by the backdoor dealings of ticket brokers and Ticketmaster. However, I'm not sure if this is an option, as many arenas have exclusive arrangements with Ticketmaster.

2. Have the FBI investigate.

3. If neither (1) or (2) happen, fans need to stop patronizing these scalpers and ticket agencies. While I despise the tactics these people use to obtain their tickets, let's face it--the only thing that's happening here is that they're causing the price of tickets to swell up to their market price. (It's true--$45 is much less than market price for a GA, and $130 might be less than market price for a GC.) The supply isn't being artificially eaten up at all--the tickets are still floating around there, and everyone knows where they are.

Now a ticket is a volatile commodity. The market price for a ticket is high when tickets are first available, rises as tickets get purchased, but has the potential to crash as showtime approaches if there are too many unsold tickets. So if you want a ticket at a lower price and you don't get one at the original sale, your best recourse (other than getting a ticket from a friend) is to wait until 0.5-48 hours before showtime.

So in sum, while I'm outraged at the under-the-table dealings that are undoubtedly going on, one can't be too upset about having to pay, say, $100 for a GA if that's what it's worth. The big losers, even bigger than the fans, are the performers, because the extra $ from ticket sales is going to the ticket brokers instead of to them.

And if people don't buy these expensive tickets from ticket brokers, some famous band will eventually end up playing to a half-empty arena (or U2 might see 4,000 fans who just got tix from scalpers walking in during the middle of "Beautiful Day") (or they might be performing to an arena full of lawyers and day traders tapping away on their PDAs) and you can bet they'd investigate.

[This message has been edited by speedracer (edited 09-29-2001).]

Melon-I must say that you seem to bring some form of relevence to a not so relevant world.
Even if ppl dont agree w/u you always have a presuavise argument and valid pts.

Check out oliveu2's thread for even more insight on this subject re Prov. tix.

D
B

------------------
"..it's about breaking barriers, transcending boundries and conquering great divides"-Bono 1987

---------
An open letter to Bono from myself www.arizonaautoweb.com/bono/

Anyone have phone numbers or website info for Ticket Brokers selling U2 GAs?

I think TicketBastard is doing back-handed dealing with ticket brokers. Perhaps they sell them for slightly more to the brokers, giving them higher profits, but also assuring the ticket brokers a steady supply.

However, to cover this up, TicketBastard keeps it's servers embarrasingly low in bandwidth to give the illusion of lots of traffic. I cannot imagine an entire floor of GAs selling out in 1 fucking minute.

I don't know. With laissez-faire capitalists in power who seem to have a favorable view of monopolies (and they are the ones who would be in charge of getting an investigation started), it's only going to get worse.

Just my theory...

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Wouldn't be too surprised...after all, ticket brokers were already selling on eBay before the public sales.

Back
Top Bottom