My St. Patrick's Day in Dublin (some U2 content)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crzy4Bono

Refugee
I finally met Bono!
smile.gif

We headed off to Dublin for St. Pats - I was sure that at least Bono wasn't even in Ireland because I had seen the news reports of him with Bush in the US so I was just off to have a nice time in Ireland. We stayed at The Clarence and I had been hanging around in the study (it is a small room at the front of the hotel for residents only) because I'm a smoker and my husband isn't so I would go have a smoke there and wait for everyone else to get ready. It's my favorite room in the place.

So, Friday night - I'm ready and waiting on everyone else and I go down to the study only the doors are shut. So I went to reception and said "Is it closed?" They said no, there's just some VIPs in there and we want to keep it shut but you're in there all the time you can go on in. So, I walk in and who's there? Bono, The Edge and 4 other people I didn't recognize all sitting together having pints. And then me. And that's it!
smile.gif

Oh I wanted to add this - Bono and Edge were hanging out and having a good time and didn't seem to be on the verge of killing each other at all, contrary to popular rumors.
smile.gif

So I walk over to the next table and sit down and light a cigarette so I don't pass out LOL and try to keep my cool. I sat there and listened to them talk and watched Bono (who is smoking) pop up and down to answer his mobile a thousand times. (he looked like a businessman rather than a rock star LOL). And every time he answered his mobile he'd walk away from the table and come stand right by me and I'm sitting there thinking don't stare, don't stare (but I couldn't help myself LOL). So I was eavesdropping a bit I must admit and they were talking about opening a restaurant in Dublin that has a glass lift in the middle bla bla. My husband and my sister and her husband ultimately joined me. We had dinner reservations but I said I don't care what time we have to eat I'm not leaving until they do! So after about one hour I worked up the courage to go introduce myself - I felt a bit awkward because it seemed like I was intruding. I have no idea what I said - but I will tell you that when you are talking to Bono he can make you feel like you're the only person in the room. The guy does have a magnetism about him. They left, then we left to eat and I spent the rest of the night in the pints! haha

So, the next day, we called it "early" (about midnight I'd say) as we'd been so into the pints the night before - and we went up to my sister's room on the 4th floor - she had a balcony overlooking Temple Bar. (The penthouse, where they filmed the TOTP performance, is the entire 5th floor). We were watching the drunks stumble by, when we all heard at the same time the unmistakable sound of Bono singing. I looked at them and said "am I hearing that?" and they all said yeah, we're hearing it too. So we proceeded to hang off the roof up to the 5th floor
wink.gif
and listen to Bono singing over what sounded like recorded music (not live playing) but it seemed the same song over and over with Bono singing. I thought OMG here I am in The Clarence listening to Bono sing! My (drunk) brother-in-law called down to the front desk and said "I'm on the 4th floor and I'm hearing this guy on the 5th floor and he's singing really loud!" and they said yeah, he sings like a lark doesn't he? And he says well could you call up there and request Angel of Harlem? haha (they didn't oblige) I'm not sure who was staying up there if it was friends of theirs and they were just there or if they took the suite for the weekend since traffic was so awful getting in and out of the city centre but it was really cool. It wasn't a song I recognized but who knows what it was?

That and another quick glimpse of them leaving the hotel and that wraps my U2 weekend!!

Thanks again to Zoom for hanging out with us all weekend and the midnight tour of Trinity College
wink.gif
, and for the introduction to Dockers - and nice to meet you Desert Rosa!

Peace

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

[This message has been edited by Crzy4Bono (edited 03-21-2002).]

Wow!! That's all I can say. Wow!!!

It sounds like you handled yourself well!!!

------------------
***Spinny***
"I don't know about you, but I feel good about the fact that I still haven't found what I'm looking for"-Bono, 1987

"Be uncool, yes be akward!"

Oh My God!!! That is so totally awesome for you!!!! Congrats!

------------------
What are we going to do now It's all been said,
No new ideas in the house and Every book has been read....

OMG!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats on a fantastic trip!! Nice to hear the boys are hanging out near home and the kids. I haven't been in Dublin for almost ten years, but I can't wait to go back. I'd definitely stay at the Clarence (was it reasonably priced?), although I'm partial to B&Bs when I'm in the country.

Thanks for sharing!!!!

------------------
If your glass house should crack....POE

That's so cool!!!

------------------
"I have a dragon, and I know how to use it. I'm a donkey on the edge!" -Shrek

Won't you kiss me on that midnight street, sweep me off my feet, singing 'ain't this life so sweet?' -David Gray

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

gah!!! that is SO cool, crzy!!!! i cannot believe that you sat right next to bono and edge, and managed to contain yourself... i think i would have *died*! lol
biggrin.gif
anyway, amazing story- thank you so much for sharing it!

isn't dublin awesome??

wow, what a cool story. Congrats, girl!!!

I bet it was amazing to meet them

------------------
"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

OMG chills on top of chills! That would be a dream come true for so many people. Congrats!
smile.gif

Now that is what I call a cool story Laura! That?s great, really great. I appreciate the way you behaved, you kept thinks under control, tough task, no doubt. You know, I don?t smoke so I would probably bite my nails until my fingers bleed, LOL

So, you met my friend Desert Rose! I hope you both have had a great time.
smile.gif

Laura, I'm going to say it again, if there was any fan that deserved to meet Bono, it was you, and the way you handled yourself proved that once again. I'm so proud and happy for you, and thanks again for sharing your story, and for letting us experience meeting the band through your experience.

Chris

Originally posted by Angel:
*Speechless...

One question--> did you not talk to our dear Edgey too?

Yes, sorry... I'm just a little crzy4bono. LOL

------------------

Originally posted by Crzy4Bono:

Yes, sorry... I'm just a little crzy4bono. LOL

Thatta girl! Congratulations btw... I am simply seething with jealousy at the moment.

I cant even imagine what that would be like.

God damn... right on Crzy!

Any pics????? :p

Originally posted by Sicy:

Any pics????? :p

No, given the situation I just didn't feel it would be appropriate to ask - no pics or autographs. But I have witnesses!

smile.gif

------------------

eek.gif
HOLY CRAP.
eek.gif
WHAT a fantastic experience! You are so brave to actually go up and introduce yourself, AAAHHHH!!! You handled yourself so well...I would have been an absolute wreck!!!

And SHAME on Bono for still smoking!!!
mad.gif
I thought he had quit that nasty habit of his....I worry about his voice!

Crzy4Bono, you are one lucky person!

WOW! Crzy-that was amazing! I don't think I would have quite been able to maintain like that! My big o' smile would have given me away! Congrats on the restraint! YoU GO GIRL! Seeing **Bono** in the same room would have made my trip to Erin, too! Glad you had such a good time! Peace, and thanx for sharing! Amazing!

oh crzy you have made my day. That is a wondrous story. If ever you do remember the name of the song he was singing ( or hear it again and can find out the title), please tell us.Your bro-in-laws "request" is a funny part of the tale. Angel of Harlem lol, good taste man.
I would have liked to see his face if you had told him your "real" name is crzy4bono.
Must have been nice to be in such a beautiful place with your family at that particular time. And there was me thinking I was lucky because I went to Lismore(Australia) and the new cathedral bells were playing Danny Boy when I arrived and hopped out of the car(it was March 17..sweet)
**cass hugs crzy** wonderful, wonderful , wonderful
a glass elevator eh? I'm glad you didn't quit smoking then.

Originally posted by cass:
I would have liked to see his face if you had told him your "real" name is crzy4bono.

Ha ha, yeah, as he motioned for security to come take me away.
wink.gif

------------------

Another reason to start smoking... The amount of reasons are soon to be well more then those for not smoking.
smile.gif

As much as I am so, so happy for you, I'm sitting here all green of envy. Specially when I was *this* close to go to Dublin myself for St Patrick's... This was truly (sp?) one of the coolest meeting experiences I've heard of.

------------------
"U2 on it?s own is a very interesting group and all. But U2 with it?s audience is a culture" - Bono

http://community.webshots.com/user/misszooropa
Pictures from Copenhagen (shirtless ones), London and Dublin, Slane.

OH MY GOD!!!

You have just made me die!!! That is the only thing left on my U2 list of things I'd like to do. You see, after getting their autographs and photos and all that typical fan stuff, you want MORE. Seeing them signing autographs or chasing them at a hotel is not as exciting once youve met them (IMO). But the only thing I would still like to do is kind of like HANG OUT with them!!!!
Have a drink with Bono when they are not in Hollywoood-ATYCLB promotion mode. You were there, you did it, you saw, you lived it.

Did I say I am ecstatic and jealous? Congratulations!!!!

LMAO Camilo thanks, but I didn't really hang out with them LOL - just sort of sat at the table next to their table and stared. hehe

But it was still cool. And they definitely weren't "on". No rock star shades, no body guards, etc. - just 5 guys and a girl having a pint.

smile.gif

------------------

Amaizing crzy! congrats girl! come to chat to give me details
smile.gif

------------------
Please...don't make me say please, champagne and ice cream, it's not what I want, it's what I need.

[This message has been edited by rafmed (edited 03-21-2002).]

crzy......10 000 pennies for one of the thoughts that passed through your mind for the hour you took to getup the courage (or find the appropriate time) to say hello.
And I think it is so beautiful that you shared the experience with your husband and your sister. So cool.
I'm still buzzing on your tale
smile.gif
Thanks

What an incredible experience Crzy4Bono! It's so perfect from the moment you walked through the closed doors and realizing who was there to hearing Bono sing on the 5th floor
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
I'm so happy for you!

------------------
"There's a lot of real rubbish going on about new music & old music, can I just say we play U2 music? Is that OK?" - Bono, Us Festival 5/30/83

Back
Top Bottom