My sixth album - Boy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
Boy is now my sixth U2 album, along with (in this order) How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, All That You Can't Leave Behind, The Best of 1980 - 1990, Achtung Baby, The Joshua Tree, War and now Boy. I had already heard I Will Follow from the best of, and Out of Control from Slane.

I Will Follow - 4/5

Twilight - 4/5
I really enjoyed this song. It gave me a picture that someone was trapped and broke out when Bono sang 'Twilight'. Great intro, this could have fitted really easily onto War.

An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart - 3.5/5
Miles away from what I expected. I was expecting this really dark, solemn long song, but it has so much more energy and great work behind it. Into The Heart is really nice, Bono's vocals are good. It sounds really polished, and I think it was ahead of it’s time. (ITH is the second longest U2 intro - at 1:44. WTSHNN is 1:46).

Out of Control - 4/5

Stories for Boys – 3.5/5
Has this song ever featured in a James Bond theme? Because the guitar sounds like it could be in it. The lead-in and the chorus are the best parts here. Bono also said in a review for HTDAAB that there is a reference in Vertigo to this song. Anyone know it?

The Ocean - 2.5/5
What’s the deal with this song? Really short, and some ocean effects. What was the inspiration behind this?

A Day Without Me – 3.5/5
I could see why people like the guitar work in this song. I swear I have heard this song before though. Was it ever released in Australia? It might have played on the radio. This would be great live, the guitar just sounds so good, although the song moves a bit fast. The “ba ba ba ba’s” at about the 2:20 mark annoy me though.

Another Time, Another Place - 3.5/5
Another song that could have slipped onto War, the vocals are a bit more solid. It sounds a bit like Stories for Boys. Larry’s talents as a drummer are evident here, they really complement Bono’s singing.

The Electric Co. - 4/5
A real rocker, and even better live. The whole way through you can feel the energy and the enjoyment. Just as good as any song on the album, I love the fast-paced intro, and the “if you don’t know, electric co”. But why sing a song about an electric company? That line makes no sense to me, unless there is a deeper meaning to this song.

Shadows and Tall Trees – 3.5/5
I can't fathom why some people don't like this. This is potentially one of the best closers I have ever heard, really energetic and exciting. I think the 'shadows, shadows, shadows' bit lets it down a bit though. A nice way to end a fast-paced, energetic album.

I think throughout my discovering period of U2 so far, I don't think I have ever liked an album as much from the start as I have Boy, except maybe HTDAAB and The Joshua Tree. This is a terrific debut album, far better than what I thought it was going to be. The Edge’s guitar work is superb throughout, and the close-knit rhythm unit is really evident, especially in An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart, Out of Control. The rhythm goes for quite a while from the outro of ITH to the intro of OOC, so I think that’s why OOC sounds better because Edge’s guitar breaks the rhythm. All I will say against is that it doesn’t have a lot of variety. The instrumental in some of the songs are quite similar.

Well, I remember liamcool telling me that if I got Boy I wouldn't regret it, and I certainly don't. I tore up the recipet so I can't give it back. When Boy finished after my first listen, the first words out of my mouth where, "what a effing awesome album!"

I'd like to hear the opinions of Boy from you guys too!

Last edited:
Too Top Heavy (except Electric Co.) to be considered a great album. Not a bad start for any band though.

I would rate it slightly less than that COBL, but you are a generous soul.

Nice review!:up:

I agree, I was surprised at how immediately I loved this album. It's incredibly consistent. Stories for Boys-->The Ocean-->A Day Without Me is sort of a weak spot, but the ending 3 songs are one of my favorite "trilogies" or what not. Shadows and Tall Trees *is* a great song (except that it goes off the rails in the last minute or two with the "shadows, shadows" part where Bono sounds like he has a bad head cold). Really though, this is U2's only album that is completely unpretentious, and I love the whole eager, optimistic, innocent mood. (It helps me to be less cynical. :wink: )

timothius said:
Too Top Heavy (except Electric Co.) to be considered a great album. Not a bad start for any band though.

I would rate it slightly less than that COBL, but you are a generous soul.

I agree!

Definately a great debut, but I think COBL04 was a tad too generous on some of these songs, here's my ranking...

I will follow- 4/5
Twilight- 3/5
An Cat Dubh/ into the heart- 3/5
Out of control- 3.5/5
Stories for boys- 2.5/5
The Ocean- 3/5
A day without me- 2/5
Another time, another place- 2/5
The electric co- 3.5/5
Shaddows and Tall trees- 2.5/5

Just curious, how does 'boy' fair in your albums ranking COBL04?

I think people are not being generous enough:p

Stories for Boys and Another Time, Another Place are two of my favourites off it and i really love Shadows and Tall Trees:wink:

timothius said:
Most of the quality material is at the beginning of the record, while most of the "filler" is towards the back end.

That's strange because I thought kind of the same thing after my first listen. IWF - OOC is really good and The Ocean kinda brings it down.

johnnytakeawalk said:
Just curious, how does 'boy' fair in your albums ranking COBL04?

I tried to make that list the other day, and it was bloody hard because I couldn't decide on a number one. But a here's an effort.

1. All That You Can't Leave Behind
2. Achtung Baby
3. The Joshua Tree
4. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
5. Boy
6. War

I can't really decide. This list doesn't really mean anything. The top four could be in any order.

Nice review, COBL_04!

Another Time Another Place and Electric Co. are hands down my favorites here!!! Definitely not top heavy! Also love An Cat Dubh/ITH, Twilight and The Ocean among others. I Will Follow is of course classic, goes without saying. Don't care much for Out Of Control though.

Great debut! :up:

When I first heard Boy, I only liked a few songs. Now, I think the whole album is great--especially as a first album. I wonder how much of my love for it, though, is the "nostalgia factor," but it still rocks. I only really fell in love with OOC after seeing the Slane video.

COBL_04 said:

1. All That You Can't Leave Behind
2. Achtung Baby
3. The Joshua Tree
4. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
5. Boy
6. War

I thought you didn't like Achtung all that much? Grown on you, eh?

I Will Follow 5/5
Twilight 5/5
An Cat Dubh 3.5/5
Into The Heart 4/5
Out Of Control 3/5
Stories For Boys 4/5
The Ocean 5/5
A Day Without Me 4/5
Another Time Another Place 3.5/5
The Electric Co 5/5
Shadows And Tall Trees 5/5

I Will Follow - 5/5
Out Of Control - 5/5
The Electric Co. - 5/5
Twilight - 4/5
An Cat Dubh - 4/5
Into The Heart - 3.5/5
Stories For Boys - 3.5/5
A Day Without Me - 3.5/5
Another Time Another Place - 3.5/5
The Ocean - 3/5
Shadows And Tall Trees - 3/5

A couple of points:

1. A Day Without Me was the lead single from Boy. Maybe it somehow recently got airplay in Australia and that's why you recognise it.

2. The Electric Co. isn't about an electric company at all. It is actually about a form of electrical shock therapy used in Ireland in the late seventies on mental patients. U2 knew someone who suffered this 'treatment' and in their anger, wrote The Electric Co.

Last edited:
Well, I remember liamcool telling me that if I got Boy I wouldn't regret it, and I certainly don't. I tore up the recipet so I can't give it back. When Boy finished after my first listen, the first words out of my mouth where, "what a effing awesome album!"

Hey, what can I say, I'm a freaking genius.

Also, you need to get the B-sides/single tracks/etc from this era, you'll love them.

[BTW get October next]

Now, as far as I'm concerned, this is the fourth best U2 album. I probably rate it higher than most of the people here, but not only do I love the songs, but I love the genuine youthful drive behind them - all U2 albums are of course genuine, but you can feel a different kind here, an enthusiasm to succeed, to break out of their everyday society and be something more. The entire driving feel behind the album is exhilarating.

I can't rate the songs. I'd probably give so many 5/5 or 10/10 that most of you will think I'm nuts. But The Electric Co. is an absolutely amazing song and Twilight is almost as impressive. I'd rank the songs as follows:

1. The Electric Co.
2. Twilight
3. Out Of Control
4. I Will Follow
5. A Day Without Me
6. An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart
7. Stories For Boys
8. Another Time, Another Place
9. Shadows And Tall Trees
10. The Ocean

liamcool said:
Also, you need to get the B-sides/single tracks/etc from this era, you'll love them.

Seconded, and also the pre-Boy stuff. Everyone needs songs like The Fool and The Dream Is Over.

And while I'd like to second the October suggestion, I really don't see how anyone could live without The Unforgettable Fire album.

Your next album should either be UF, as Axver suggested, or Pop. If you go with Pop, you should also download the single versions of If God Will Send His Angels, Last Night On Earth, and especially Please so you can know both the album versions of those songs and their single counterparts. Disregard the Best Of mixes though, as they are all inferior.

bsp77 said:
I thought you didn't like Achtung all that much? Grown on you, eh?

I thought people might find a bit strange but it's a bit strange. It has really, really grown on me. UTEOTW, Ultra Violet and Acrobat are all in my top 10.

Axver said:
2. The Electric Co. isn't about an electric company at all. It is actually about a form of electrical shock therapy used in Ireland in the late seventies on mental patients. U2 knew someone who suffered this 'treatment' and in their anger, wrote The Electric Co.

I knew that there would be a deeper meaning than that. Thanks for clearing it up, I never would have guessed it.

namkcuR said:
Your next album should either be UF, as Axver suggested, or Pop. If you go with Pop, you should also download the single versions of If God Will Send His Angels, Last Night On Earth, and especially Please so you can know both the album versions of those songs and their single counterparts. Disregard the Best Of mixes though, as they are all inferior.

I will probably get October, but I want to go in order now so after October it will be TUF because I already have War. But Pop was in the running to get next, but I got Boy because it was cheaper.

Last edited:
smurf_sista said:
i also don't know what is with Ocean

If you ask me, its sole reason and purpose for existence is to flow out of 11 O'clock Tick Tock live. I can't believe the band are playing it this tour without 11 O'clock Tick Tock - it's incomplete, naked, and just not right. But still cool.

Boy grew on me much quicker than War and UF. It's my fourth favourite U2-album behind AB, UF and JT.

I envy you, because you are experiencing the thrill of discovering all the U2-albums for the first time.

Aardvark747 said:
Makes me wanna go and put Twilight on now - that song was even better live I think:rockon:

Everything that doesn't have the name Pride is better live.

Back
Top Bottom