My Poor Dog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PopFly

War Child
This morning, my dog Trooper, a seven-year-old golden retriever, broke his left hind leg. As a result, the vet informs us that he may have to be put down, since the surgery needed to reattach the ligament has only a 10-20% success rate. At this point, we're going to get another vet's opinion as to whether this surgery is worth it.

Needless to say, this has been one of the crappiest days of my life.

------------------
"Good men die unhappily. Bad men die unluckily. THAT's tragedy." --Tom Stoppard

"I can't watch a man sing a song. He gets all emotional, he starts swaying...it's embarrassing!" -- Jerry Seinfeld

Oh, PopFly! That's so sad! I know for a fact when my 15 year old Wheaten Terrier died, it was the saddest day of my life. They become like family after a while, don't they?

I hope that Trooper will be alright. Please let us know...good luck/god bless.

I'm so sorry- that must be really hard. I have 3 dachunds at home, and yeah, they really are like family. I'm hoping the best for your pup...

im sorry to hear this. pets make their way into our hearts more than some of us like to admit, so i imagine the pain your going through.

------------------
-deathbear

Awww, so sorry PopFly! I know how it feels, I lost my dog I grew up with a year ago. But don't give up hope!

Let us know how it went with the other vet...

frown.gif

I'm sorry to hear that, PopFly.
frown.gif

I've always had tons of pets in my family while growing up, so I have naturally been through a lot of heartache myself. Currently, we have 2 dogs (a golden retriever and a black lab), 4 cats, a newt, a fish, and a mouse. Both of the dogs and my cat Whiskers are getting pretty old...I worry about them...
frown.gif

------------------
"But you take what you can get,
Cuz it's all that you can find,
But you know there's something more,
Tonight, tonight, tonight..."

[This message has been edited by Bonochick (edited 10-09-2001).]

I am so sorry to hear that. I have always had dogs and they are the BEST friends and family members.

Ever hear the saying-'the more people I meet, the more I like my dog'? Sadly, it is often true.

There really are no words to make it feel better, but I wish you the best. *hugs to you*

Thank you to everyone for your kind words and prayers. As I type this, Trooper is getting x-rayed by another vet and having more tests done, so there is a ray of hope.

------------------

"I can't watch a man sing a song. He gets all emotional, he starts swaying...it's embarrassing!" -- Jerry Seinfeld

Hopefully the 2nd vet will have a more optomistic prognosis.
If the ligament is permantly damaged, what about a set of wheels, like the dog on The Drew Carey show?
Its better than the alternative.

Well??? Is the second prognosis better? Can your dog at least have a little "wheel chair?"

I've had dogs most of my life - including a beautiful Dalmatian for the past 8.5 years. He's getting up there in age and I dread the day when he moves on.... sigh...
frown.gif
I'm just glad he's here now. He isn't "like family" - he IS family. Without him in my life (even when he bugs me and I have to yell at him! LOL!) I doubt I would handle everything that has happened to me this year as well.

I wish you, your family and your dear dog the best, whatever the outcome.

That's a great name for a dog PopFly. It was a compliment of the highest order if my mum called you a "real trooper". I think it meant a willingness to share, you were willing to give something of yourself for the benefit of another.
I have noticed so many people I have met via U2 and the internet, have labradors or retrievers. Beautiful dogs. They all are.

Good luck to you and your family.

That's really crappy news. I hope Trooper makes it through somehow. How will you be able to enjoy the Hamilton show if your dog is in such dire straits? I'm happy my cat hasn't had any major health problems.. one of the friends of the family had a great dog named Galahad who toward the end of his life was blind and diabetic.. that was sad to see.

Awwww... Yeah, last year my poor dog died too, 9 years old... Thats one of the hardest things Ive had to deal wtih... My hedgehog died in July, that was pretty rough too... I sympathize for ya... Good luck, I hope everything works out.

I have a pic of my new dog online, but of course I have to find the url... not that anyone wants to see her but oh well LOL

*** MY DOG -> http://www.prodogs.com/dbn/Stonewick/annie.htm *** (yes, the dog, not the poor trainer)

[This message has been edited by ~unforgettableFOXfire~ (edited 10-09-2001).]

Damn, I'm sorry.

I'm dreading the day my dog dies. She's also a golden retriever. And she's 13 years old which is very old for a golden. She still doing well but you never know what can happen.

------------------
I'm A Hot Stud.

Here is the latest word on Trooper...
He had an MRI and several other tests done today, and the doctor discovered that the main problem is not any kind of a break in the leg. Trooper suffered what I can only describe as a body-based stroke; there is a technical term for it, but it slips my mind at the moment. Like a stroke, he has lost control over a side of his body, but some of his nerve endings are still attached, and thus there is hope for a recovery. He is coming home tomorrow, and the next few weeks will see how well he adapts and recovers. If he still can't walk fairly normally (or at all) after a few weeks...well, I guess we'll have to put him down. Somebody brought up the example of the dog on the Drew Carey Show, and how he was in a set of wheels; that method only works if there is a broken bone. With the nerve damage that Trooper has sustained, he's got to learn to walk again on his own. The good thing is that Trooper is in no pain, and the stroke didn't affect his mental faculties whatsoever.

So I'm feeling a lot better today than I did yesterday, and there's a lot more hope. Trooper is a smart dog, so I'm praying that he can adapt his lifestyle. He'll never quite be 100% again, but hopefully he can get back to a reasonable quality of life.

Once again, you people are too kind. Your prayers and words of encouragement are greatly appreciated.

------------------

I hope everything with Trooper goes OK!!!

------------------
south bend here i come!

Trooper is a trooper!!
biggrin.gif
That is such a great name! I completely agree with Cass. I think it also means to persevere- to be a real trooper! So hopefully that is what Trooper will do. Keep us aprised. Animals are real special beings. A blessing into all our lives. They love so unconditionaly and that is why it hurts us so much when they are in pain. I too have grown up with many animals from all over. My dog died from a brain tumor when he was 9 I think. and it was really tough, but he went on to a good life, because we all know that all good dogs go to heaven!
wink.gif

PLEASE tell us there is good news about Trooper today. Animals are all special in their own way like humans and life is so precious. Hold onto him and take care of him, I hope and pray he will be better and stay with you for years!

[This message has been edited by U2Kitten (edited 10-10-2001).]

I hope everything goes well for him. It's so evident from your posts how much you love him.

Take care, and the best of luck to you and Trooper! Dogs truly are man's best friend.

Update...

Trooper is back home, and the prognosis is looking better today. He has total movement in his front legs, and is starting to recover in one of his back paws as well. He can't walk on his own, obviously, so we have to hold his back legs (like we're in a wheelbarrow race) so he can go outside in order to go to the bathroom. Nonetheless, Trooper is looking better, so let's hope he can learn to walk three-legged!

------------------

I'm so happy this didn't have a sad ending! Lots of animals do just fine on 3 legs, they run and hop and don't complain like people do. Just wait for him to catch up, and look after your darling rock and roll doggie!

------------------
~some days are better than others~

Maybe they could even amputate the leg if need be. The vast majority of dogs and cats can function just fine on 3 legs or even 2!
I have quite literally gone through sheer HELL for my beloved family, the only family i have really - my dogs - over the past 6 months. It is a very long story, i really should post it though as you would just not believve what happened. Someday when i have the time, if i am still among the living, i will.
frown.gif

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

Back
Top Bottom