My last album review....POP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
:sad:

This is quite an emotional moment for me...this will be my last review thread. I now own every album (excluding the 90s b/o). And there's some statements I'd like to make about Pop before I begin.

• I want to sue U2 for false advertising. These are not Pop songs, maybe with the close exception of SATS. Was it called 'Pop' because it's almost the opposite?
  • It's hard to believe the band who wrote songs like Pride, ISHFWILF and New Year's Day would later write songs like Discotheque, Do You Feel Loved and Mofo.
  • I believe the album to be generally underrated, but overrated here at Intereference.

Alright, here's waht I thought.

Discothèque
Akin to the rest of the album, incredibly different to what I was expecting. Bono's voice is a little less obvious, but the band just sounds really good. I got into this track straight away. It's just so different, so funky, so dancey. I also watched the video for the first time, I thought it was hilarious that halfway through Larry just walks off.

And yes, I LOVED the Boom Chas. Genius.

Do You Feel Loved
I was expecting this beautiful, slow moving ballad. Wasn't I wrong. Great intro, especially when it really gets going. Again, Bono’s voice is as ‘out-there’ as it is in previous songs, but I reckon this is a terrific number. The industrial guitar, everything is just great. How good is the part ‘you can take my shirt if you can tie me down’? :drool:

Mofo
Well what can I say? I had heard sooo much about this song. About how it was really dark, heavy, undecipherable, even scary, so I didn’t have a clue what to expect. What I found was damn friggin’ cool. So dancey, unlike anything U2 has ever done. When it kicks into gear about in the first minute it is just sooo fuckin awesome, cool, whatever. I was blown away by this track. The ‘been around back, been around front vocal’ got a bit annoying, and I wish the lyric was ‘mother fucking rock ‘n’ roll’, because the song is called Mofo, and ‘sucking’ sounds a bit silly, but otherwise, awesome song.

If God Will Send His Angels
The surprises just kept coming. After the first three songs kick your ass, this song just drops in and I had to turn it up to hear the first verse vocal. But this is really good song, I reckon. Great lyrics, and very good delievery. It’s beautiful when Edge comes in after the chorus, and the way it drifts off at the ending sound perfect. Is it appreciated much around here?

Staring at the Sun
I’ve had this song for well over a year now, probably almost two. I’d always asked where it rated with the rest of Pop, and most people said it was a bit lower in their opinions. I’ve always liked this song, but I have to be in the mood to listen to it, at times I can find it annoying. The lyrics are really deep, I’ve always thought the chorus lyrics to be about not following the crowd.

Last Night on Earth
There was a review I found on the net where this supposed ‘muso’ said that U2 had tried different music lately, with the song See Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me and later went on to say that Last Night on Earth was the only good song on Pop but said it should have been on War. I stopped reading there. Anyway.
I thought this was a terrific song. I’ve heard some people say that this was a lame attempt at a rock song, but I disagree. I love the industrial guitar that kicks it off and then runs throughout, and the scat singing at the start, and the hook is fantastic. :drool:

Gone
Effing kick-ass intro, especially when Larry comes in at 0:14. The verses aren’t as strong as LNOE’s, but the verse sounds great, even a bit emotional. Really good bass line, as there is for most of these songs. The piano and the guitar and the vocal all mesh perfectly in the lead-in/chorus. Awesome song.

Miami
What is this crap? :ugh: Terrible song. A very annoying drum machine is the only instrument until a minute and a half in, when Adam plays a bass line. The lyrics are average as well. Now it’s not all bad, I don’t mind the ‘ba ba ba ba’s’ and Edge’s guitar is swell, the outro’s okay, but what throws my off is the line Some places are like your auntie, but there’s no place like Miami, my mammy.
Mammy?
Is that even a word?

The Playboy Mansion
Not exactly sure what they were trying to do with this song. Was it meant to be fun like Miami or meaningful? It sounds like a meaningful sorta song, but the lyrics read fun. The intro is really cool, and I like how the band sounds when Bono sings the lines before and the line ‘the gates of that mansion’. Apart from that, it’s average, nice, but not much else. Liking the ‘don’t know if I can…’ verse. It’s almost the like the Wild Honey of Pop.

If You Wear That Velvet Dress
Still trying to make up mind about this song. I’m not sure if it’s the production, but I have to turn the CD pretty high to hear this song. The vocals are very subtle, the guitar playing is beautiful as well as the lyrics. I don’t think it (or the guitar at least) would have been out of place on TUF. The second half of the song is definitely the most beautiful part on the album.

Please
I was expecting a really great song here, given how loved it is around here, but I was a bit let down. Personally I think this song is overrated. It’s incredibly depressing. But getting past all that, it is a pretty good song. In my opinion Bono’s strongest vocals on this album are present here, and the bass really moves the song along. Is this like the ‘One’ of this album? The song everyone appreciates but takes ages to appreciate yourself? The vocals are top-notch though. The last minute or so is good.

Wake up Dead Man
I’ve had this song as long as I’ve had SATS, and I have always liked this song a lot, despite its depressive tone and ‘no-hope’ lyrics and vocal delivery. But pushing that aside, this a fantastic song and a terrific closer. Bono’s vocals really suit the song, and Edge’s electric, metallic guitar really gives the song a kick. The almost whispering bridge is perfect, as the music underneath Bono slowly builds up. Great song.

Yeah well there’s my thoughts, now add yours, rank the album if you please, I’d like to see what everyone else gives it.

I thing you need to give POP a little time to grow on you , and many of the songs from POP are so much better live !

^ Yeah, I've had that with every album, they all grow on me. But I just do this so I can sort of announce that I got it, and it sparks more debate when it's a first few listens review because I don't love all the songs straight away.

I'd be interested to get some Pop songs live. I've heard stories about some pretty bad perfomances. Were they all played live?

When I got the album in 97, I had about the same opinion as you. I was quite lukewarm to it.

It actually took me until 2004 to finally hit me!! Yeah, sometimes it can take a while with U2.
So if it takes some time or never happens at all, be patient.
It is quite a deep and heavy album.

I wish the lyric was ‘mother fucking rock ‘n’ roll’, because the song is called Mofo, and ‘sucking’ sounds a bit silly

You need to get the Matthew Roberts Explicit Remix! "Mother fuckin' rock and fuckin' ROLL!" I'm on my way out right now so I can't really help you out at the moment. Maybe someone else can help COBL out? That's one of my favourite U2 remixes. Usually they suck, but that one's pretty cool.

And I don't think his opinion is lukewarm...seems he likes it quite a bit! I enjoyed that review, even though I personally would have given Mofo a 9.5. :wink:

Also, Miami might grow on you. I know it did for me, thanks in part to Queen Bee and a few live tracks. I do agree though that the lyrics are absolutely atrocious. I only like the song for the music. The guitar is really cool in the live versions.

More on this

Mofo needs to be heard live.
Single version of angels is better.
LNOE is WAY better live even though you like it now---just wait.
Everybody here likes please because they are referring to either the single version or the live version. The album version really, really lacks punch and just doesn't quite get off the ground.
I have many more thoughts but those are the main things that just HAD to be said in response to your review.
-G

i think its an alright review for a POP 1st-timer. anyway i believe POP is a big challenge for any music lover. i had a very love/hate relationship with the raw diamond as POP is. and as u2trinity has already written POP has to grow on you.
i always loved MIAMI, TPM and IYWTVD. and the latter two are both perfect songs for hot love-making. :)
@COBL_04 believe me or not, POP is their last real great album. :rockon: time will tell you.

Yeah that's a pretty positive review for a first timer

personally I give every song on Pop eleventy billion stars

Good revies, though I think Miami will grow on you. It took me ages to get into Pop, I was a bit disapointed with it when it came out but I really like it now.
The word "mammy" used in Miami, is what people informally call their mothers in Ireland. So yet again, Bono is making reference to his late mother Iris.

I agree with a lot although i would have given Discotheque a 8 and IGWSHA a 8 as well, and Please a 9.

I hope that Please will grow on you i think many U2 fans think it's one of the best songs U2 has done.

Miami and Playboy Mansion are indeed the 2 weaker songs on POP, although Miami live is a lot better! You need to get yourself some POPmart bootlegs (Mexico for example) and listen to them, all the songs just sound a whole lot better.

LNOE just explodes at the end the best ending to a U2 song live. :drool: :drool:

The name Pop had to do with the theme of mocking consumer society, as well as possibly a dig at the, well, actual pop music at the charts.

I think the problem was

a) the album was advertised as being "dance" too much
b) video for Discotheque and weak early shows on tour
c) "ambition bites the nails of success" Pop almost feels like a 2- or a 3- way EP, trying maybe too much at once.

Discotheque 3.5/5 - good opener. They downside is it should sound more like the live Elevation version or the Best of mix; a rock song buried beneath the bleeps and effects.

Do you feel loved 2.5/5 - :shrug: Doesn't do much for me. I felt EBTTRT, with a similar topic, did it much better.

Mofo - 3/5 - Good sonics. Though the lyrics such as "looking for the face I had before the world was made" followed by "got the sway, got the stray, got the straw in my lemonade" :huh:

IGWSHA 3.25/5 - A grower. I suppose the typical "U2 love song" of this album.

SATS - 4/5 - First highlight. A tad Oasis-ripoff, but a good ballad. Live is the definite version though.

LNOE - 3/5 - Decent song, bad rock attempt and a bad, bad chorus. :up: for the bridge and live versions. UTEOTW was much better at doing this type of song/atmosphere.

Gone 4.5/5 - Second highlight, arguably their finest hour on this album.

Miami 1/5 - I guess the drums are interesting. Otherwise bad music, bad lyrics and Edge's worst solo.

Playboy Mansion 3/5 - Playing off a sample :down: , beautiful ending saves it.

IYWTVD 4/5 Beautiful song, if only a new vocal take. Probably my all-time favourite solo from Edge.

Please 4.3/5 - the third highlight. I'm not into old political U2 (like Bullet, SBS...) but I like the new versions (Peace on earth, Crumbs...) and this is a prime example. All versions work: album, single, live.

Wake up dead man 2.75/5 - Doesn't do much for me either. Again, a straightforward guitar song buried beneath the noise.

Songs were played live except Playboy mansion (snippeted at ending of Streets at some shows on Popmart), and Wake up dead man I think never got the "listen to the..." verse and ending live.

Last edited:
Discotheque - 8
DYFL - 9
Mofo - 9
IGWSHA - 8
SATS - 6
LNOE - 10
Gone - 10
Miami - 8
Playboy Mansion - 7
IYWTVD - 5
Please - 9
WUDM - 7

Discotheque : 6/10
Do you feel loved : 5/10
Mofo : 7/10
IGWSHA : 2/10
SATS : 3/10
LNOE : 2/10
Gone : 10/10
Miami : 7/10
Playboy Mansion : 7/10
IYWTVD : 9/10
Please : 7/10
Wake up dead man : 1/10

POP 7/10 the IGWSHA/SATS/LNOE part killed this album.

Discotheque - 7
DYFL - 10
Mofo - 10
IGWSHA - 9
SATS - 7
LNOE - 8
Gone - 10
Miami - 9
Playboy Mansion - 9
IYWTVD - 9
Please - 8
WUDM - 8

average: 8.6...so i give out a 9/10

Yay! You do like it then!

I'll try to be objective. :drool:

Discotheque - 8 It's a fun song, much better than 2004's "fun song." :no:
Do You Feel Loved - 7.5 It took me forever to get into this song. I can't say why I skipped it so much, it didn't deserve that.
Mofo - 10 Motherfucking ten, bitches.
IGWSHA - 8 I love everything about this song. I can see how people are bored by it though...the same people that can be bored with Stay. :angry:
SATS - 8.5 I've grown a little tired of it recently but it's still a great song. The video for it (actually, both videos) are fantastic!
LNOE - 9.5 Loved it ever since I made that video. And I love *their* video too. Definitely fun.
Gone - 9.5 Great fucking song. I'm tempted to give it a ten, but I want to make sure that Mofo stands out from the rest. :wink:
Miami - 8 Okay okay okay, awful lyrics. And the "mammy" part is probably the Irish pronunciation of "mami" which means momma in Spanish. But more precisely it can be used as a sexual name. Particulary paired with "AY MAMI!" or "AY PAPI!" Plus I have to love the songs that mention my hometown, yo.
Playboy Mansion - 9 Love love love love. I threw myself into the lyrics about a year ago and fell in love. This takes time to grow, I'll agree.
IYWTVD - 9 IMO, U2 should do more slow jazzy songs like this. Especially when there's a Jool Holland's version with a big band floating around. Yes!
Please - 10 How anyone can give this song less than a 10 is beyond me. Check out the strings version for like a 10.5 on the awesome scale.
WUDM - 9 Bono says fucked! :ohmy: I like how the last two songs make up one big song really: Please, wake up dead man.

PlaTheGreat said:
IYWTVD - 9 IMO, U2 should do more slow jazzy songs like this.

Yes! Yes! Yes! :bow: In fact, I've secretly wished they get somewhat jazzy with the next album in the vein of MDH. :drool:

Great review, Pla! :love: :sexywink:

Chizip said:
IYWTVD Jools version is an 11/10

Pop version is 6

:no: I disagree!

I cannot stand that Jools Holland version! Bono's singing on it is pretty bad too! :barf:

The album version is perfectly understated with subdued vocals as such a song should be! :love: :drool:

Discotheque 6
Do You Feel Loved 8
Mofo 6
IGWSHA 3
SATS 4
LNOE 5
Gone 9
Miami 6
Playboy Mansion 3
IYWTVD 5
Please 5
Wake Up 7

Wow, just think, in a few more months it'll be Pop's 10th birthday. I love Pop and have listened to it countless times. Miami was probably the toughest listen, but the Boys sound like they are having a blast. Well, except maybe Larry.
Now that you heard the album, you'll finally get my signature.

Zootlesque said:

:no: I disagree!

I cannot stand that Jools Holland version! Bono's singing on it is pretty bad too! :barf:

The album version is perfectly understated with subdued vocals as such a song should be! :love: :drool:

i disagree, but i respect your opinion

douchebag

I gaurantee if you find an awesome live recording of Miami complete with segue into Bullet the Blue Sky, your perception of the song will instantaneously change for the better. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom