My Grammy Predictions Part II - Album of the Year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Fan101

Refugee
ALBUM OF THE YEAR

NOMINATIONS:
? ?Love and Theft? by Bob Dylan
? ?Acoustic Soul? by Indie.Arie
? ?Stankonia? by Outkast
? ?All That You Can?t Leave Behind? by U2
? ?O Brother Where Art Thou!? by Various Artists

?Love and Theft? by Bob Dylan. A classic rock artist. Has been around for years and garnished his fair share of grammies. His last album picked up some as well. What?s going for it? The fact that it?s Bob Dylan and he writes such quality songs. What?s going against it? Nothing really, except there was nothing spectacular about this album, let alone the name.

?Acoustic Soul? by Indie. Arie. A new sound and style by a brand new artist. She is someone who will be around for a while and produce more amazing albums. What?s going for it? Something that our slumping music industry could use ? a good quality boost. What?s going against it? Indie.Arie who? Now I know popularity has nothing to do with quality of music, but I have never heard of this artist until the grammy nominations.

?Stankonia? by Outkast. Dude! My favorite rap artist! I thought it was just me who loved this album. This album kicks my friggin arse! What?s going for it? We definitely good rap music in the world these days. And Outkast can truly deliver. What?s going against it? It?s rap man! Wake up and smell the coffee!

?All That You Can?t Leave Behind? by U2. Hmmm. U2. Biggest comeback of the year. Biggest band of the year. Biggest album of the year. Produced 4 amazing singles, better than any album they?ve ever released. What?s going for it? The fact that this is U2?s greatest album ever and have produced 4 amazing songs. What?s going against it? Other than the fact they won song and record of the year last year? Absolutely nothing. Since September 11th, this has been ?THE? album to own.

?O Brother Where Art Thou!? by Various Artists. A great compilation album of many many artists for country folk and bluegrass. What?s going for it? A great compilation album of various artists. What?s going against it? A great compilation album of various artists.

WHO SHOULD WIN: U2.

WHO WILL WIN: U2.

Cliches apart,All That You Can't Leave Behind is a great record.It compared to a Beatles reocrd when meaning implied in the sense of collection of songs.What makes a great album is still what intrigues me most about the music,yet when it comes basics such as listening pleasures,U2's effort is better than Dylan's.But what should be considered most is the music's ability to transcend the barriers of entertainment and becoming part of the real life.If internet is something to go by,All That You Can't Leave Behind provided US some solace (within the limits of entertainment).This, I think is a bigger achievement than any big award.

I've got to say that I think Album of the Year is one of the 2-4 Grammys U2 will certainly nab. Your great analysis pretty much showed how and why...

by not including Alicia Keys' "Songs in A Minor" in the list of nominees, i think the Grammy board (whoever they are) pretty much locked up a win for U2 in the Album of the Year category.

in fact, this is the only category that i am pretty confident about!

(knock on wood...)

Originally posted by *Ally*:
by not including Alicia Keys' "Songs in A Minor" in the list of nominees, i think the Grammy board (whoever they are) pretty much locked up a win for U2 in the Album of the Year category.

in fact, this is the only category that i am pretty confident about!

(knock on wood...)

I hope you're right. I know the board loves U2 but I have been predicting long before the nominations came out that Alicia Keys was going to be the big winner this year because Steely Dan and U2 did so well last year, being older rock guys and the board will feel obligated to patronize another genre. Flame me if you want but Keys is young, black, a woman, and another genre, and seems like just the thing they'd be looking to glorify to be politically correct. I hope I am wrong, but mark my words I think this will occur and I will say 'told ya so.' I hope you all laugh in my face the day after if U2 wins. I really do.

------------------
"Walk On, stay safe tonight"

Originally posted by U2Kitten:
I hope you're right. I know the board loves U2 but I have been predicting long before the nominations came out that Alicia Keys was going to be the big winner this year because Steely Dan and U2 did so well last year, being older rock guys and the board will feel obligated to patronize another genre. Flame me if you want but Keys is young, black, a woman, and another genre, and seems like just the thing they'd be looking to glorify to be politically correct.

don't forget that alicia keys also incredibly talented, and her album sold 4 million copies this year. i don't think that her winning some awards would be simply a "politically correct" move.

Yeah lots of people may be incredibly talented but she fits the bill in every way. No one on the lists are as good as U2 no matter who they are or what genre. Even if she is off this one list I still expect her to clean up otherwise. PC may not be the only reason but it sure doesn't hurt her any. If U2 were to lose to her in the voting only for that reason it would be very sad.

Back
Top Bottom