My Grammy Predictions Part 1 - Record of the Year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Fan101

Refugee
NOMINATIONS
? ?Video? India.Arie
? ?Fallen? Alicia Keys
? ?Ms Jackson? Outkast
? ?Drops of Jupiter? Train
? ?Walk On? U2

?Video? Brand new artist and song, very unique sound and quality is there. What?s going for it? The fact that we haven?t heard of anything like this before and we love it. What is against it? I?ve never heard of this band and not too many people have either. h

?Fallen? Alicia Keys. Ever since her album came out everyone has been talking about this classical trained pianist and her R&B sound. What?s going for it? What I just said. What is against it? Nothing really. Just U2?s powerhouse of a song.

?Ms Jackson? Rap needs something good for once and Outkast can deliver. What?s going for it? One of the best, if not, good quality rap bands out there. What is against it? Rap. Rap winning record of the year. Ok, and I have an island to sell you.

?Drops of Jupiter? MASSIVE radio play, great song and rising band. What?s going for it? Massive radio play. What is against it? Massive radio play.

?Walk On? The one song on this list that is hopeful and perfect since September 11th. What?s going for it? The fact that it is U2 and a great song. What is against it? U2 won record of the year last year. Winning 2 years in a row may not look so good.

WHO SHOULD WIN: U2.

WHO WILL WIN: U2.

Again, I soo think that U2 should win this.. I love Walk on.. About as much as I love Stuck.. And walk on has had soo much significance after the attacks.. I'm hoping u2 wins this one, as it's defly the best record.. but Like i said in my other post in the soy category, i'm gonna say that keys wins it.. But here's to hoping i am wrong...

I am a little more hopeful that they will win with this song than I am of stuck....

Walk On is such a great song, an inspirational song, a rock song, a love song, a great great song......

I'd be happy if they snagged this one, album of the year and the rock album award......but that's the bare minimum I would be happy with......

------------------
Live As If You'll Die Tomorrow, Dream As If You'll Live Forever

I completely agree that U2 should win this award. However, it's important not to set our expectations too high. The last and ONLY time the same artist won Record of the Year back-to-back was Roberta Flack in 1972 for "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" and 1973 for "Killing Me Softly With His Song". Additionally, the only artists, aside from Flack, to win this award multiple times are Henry Mancini in 1961 (Moon River) and 1963 (The Days of Wine and Roses), 5th Dimension in 1967 (Up Up and Away) and 1969 (Aquarius/Let the Sun Shine In), Paul Simon in 1968 (Mrs. Robinson), in 1970 (Bridge Over Troubled Water), and in 1987 (Graceland), and Eric Clapton in 1992 (Tears in Heaven) and 1996 (Change the World).

I think U2 can pull off the award due to these reasons: 1)Based on the history of the Grammy Awards, once you're accepted into the club of multiple winners, you are in for life. U2 have proven to be in this group. Sorry to say this, but U2 are as mainstream as it gets. No longer are they our hidden jewels that only have a limited fanbase. (Let's hope we won't experience overkill)
2)While it has only happened once in the history of the awards, U2 appear to have a song that is more popular than Beautiful Day. Walk on has the "sentimental vote", as did Clapton's "Tears in Heaven", Natalie Cole's "Unforgettable", and (*sigh*) USA for Africa's "We Are the World". 3) Grammy President, Peter Green, stated that this year the organization felt a need to recognize relevant singer/songwriters. U2 fits this description to a tee.

Back
Top Bottom