My Experiment (Zooropa)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

80sU2isBest

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I am forcing myself to listen to Zooropa repeatedly, in the hopes that I will like it. Here are the results thus far:

Songs I liked before the experiment:
Lemon
Stay
Wanderer
the dinky little keyboard solo in Numb

Songs I like so far, during the experiment:
1.Zooropa
2.Numb (all of it, thanks to getting such a kick out of the video)
3.Lemon
4.Stay
5.Daddy's Gonna...(I like this one mainly because the lyrics are so cool)
6.Some Days Are Better Than Others
7.The Wanderer (and I agree with some of you that this should've been sung by Bono)

Well, that's 70%. Not bad, eh?

Let's see, so you are still having trouble with Babyface, The First Time and Dirty Day?

Babyface is a throwaway. I mean, it's a decent song, but nothing special.

The First Time is simply a spacey-style version of All I Want Is You; same chords, same everything.

For a better appreciation of Dirty Day, watch ZooTV from Sydney - that performance is incredible, and I gained a whole new appreication of the song after watching it.

That's awesome, 80s.
smile.gif
Zooropa is a grower of an album...definitely not one that I went for on first listen, or second or third lesson either actually. lol. It takes some time to digest. But in my opinion, it's a really brilliant album. Especially the opening track! And "The First Time" has to be one of the most beautiful U2 songs ever written.

btw, on the flipside, I've been forcing myself to listen to Boy lately. Not that I dislike it, it's just one of the last albums I'd grab if given the choice. But I must admit, all that youthful energy is infectious! I still give the edge to October tho.
biggrin.gif

-sula

You should try that experiment with Passengers as well. Or Zooropa for breakfast, Passengers for lunch & Pop for dinner...you can really see how for U2 got out there in the 90's trying to f#%k up the mainstream. I think these albums all sound better now than when they were 1st released....I always here something new in them...especially POP.

Originally posted by Zoocoustic:

For a better appreciation of Dirty Day, watch ZooTV from Sydney - that performance is incredible, and I gained a whole new appreication of the song after watching it.

I totally agree. I felt the same way.

------------------
Work like you don't need to
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like no one is watching

You're doing better than me, 80s. I listened to it twice when it was first released in 1993 and literally put it away and NEVER (!!!) played it again until about a month ago. We're talking 9 years I didn't listen to it, which is kind of astonishing and quite stupid, actually.

Anyway, I just got a new car with a kick-ass stereo and finally committed to making friends with this record. Here's where I'm at:

Previously liked:
Stay
Wanderer

Now also like:
Zooropa (love it, actually)
Dirty Day (mostly because of the Popmart video like others said)

Tolerate:
Lemon (because I loved MacPhisto doing it)
The First Time (it's just bland)

Still very much dislike:
Babyface
Some Days
Crashed Car
Numb (Love The Edge, love the video, hate the song)

Is there any hope for me?
frown.gif

[This message has been edited by joyfulgirl (edited 01-25-2002).]

Originally posted by joyfulgirl:

Previously liked:
Stay
Wanderer

Now also like:
Zooropa (love it, actually)
Dirty Day (mostly because of the Popmart video like others said)

Tolerate:
Lemon (because I loved MacPhisto doing it)
The First Time (it's just bland)

Still very much dislike:
Babyface
Some Days
Crashed Car
Numb (Love The Edge, love the video, hate the song)

Is there any hope for me?
frown.gif

Your experience sounds similar to mine, including loving the Numb video and hating the song! Except I've never even owned the album. I've borrowed it from people and had it from the library periodically. And never got much anywhere with it, except two or three songs and bits of some others.

I'm going to try and find those two albums cheap (in case I still hate them) and give it a shot.

------------------
Love was never a single emotion

-ACROB@T

Originally posted by scatteroflight:
Your experience sounds similar to mine, including loving the Numb video and hating the song! Except I've never even owned the album. I've borrowed it from people and had it from the library periodically. And never got much anywhere with it, except two or three songs and bits of some others.

I'm going to try and find those two albums cheap (in case I still hate them) and give it a shot.

I rediscovered Pop during the Elevation Tour after they played "Gone" and "Discoteque" in Denver. I got right into Pop with no problem. But "Zooropa" is still a problem child.

Originally posted by Zoocoustic:
Babyface is a throwaway. I mean, it's a decent song, but nothing special.

I have to disagree with Babyface being a throwaway. On the surface it might appear to just be some shallow pop song about a pretty girl, but I think it's a brilliant metaphor for how the public treats rock stars and celebrity in general. They get to see them from every angle, slow motion, freeze frame, and they get this notion that somehow they actually know the people behind the stars, and that the surface appearance is actually the true person. I can't do a full analysis, but I think that song is waaaaaay deeper than most people think. If anything, it sounds "throwaway" to throw people off it's true nature.

Babyface cracks me up. I thought everyone was aware of the irony in that song. Gotta agree with Diemen.

I feel a little out of place. I can't think of a single U2 song that I don't care for. I recently wrote this in response to a post on another message board, which proclaimed that U2 had sunken to the lows of adult contemporary pop, and their last two albums had been uninspired, uncreative fluff. BTW, I'm new here.
smile.gif

I would like to take this opportunity to voice my thoughts on the last two U2 albums. Keep in mind that this is entirely subjective and I am in no way attempting to impose my thoughts and feelings on others in an effort to join some elitist ranks.

Let me start with "Pop." I think many people misunderstand this record. Most will see the glossy, kitschy image that the band assumed during this period and find themselves unable to disassociate the actual music from the image. "Pop," like "Achtung Baby" and "Zooropa," were records constructed on an idea of irony within rock music. U2 was slammed for "Rattle and Hum" and its companion film. Consequently, they stopped caring about pleasing critics, and threw it back in their faces with the outlandish rock spectacle known as Zoo TV. While "Achtung Baby" was a more dance-oriented and progressive record, the actual songs contained a depth unlike previous records. Emotions were stripped to the bone, exposed in their barest and at their most vulnerable. "Achtung" was the darkest album that U2 had ever created. After being criticized so heavily on the misconception that they had ingratiated themselves with the likes of Elvis and Johnny Cash, U2 turned it around on the same critics that had lambasted them by conceiving one of the most over the top and visually assaulting rock tours in recent memory. That same idea lay behind "Pop." The cover to "Pop" looks shiny and kitschy, as do the liner notes and the band itself. Take a listen to the record though. There are elements of dance beats and industrial noise absent from other U2 record (at least to this extent), yet "Pop" is essentially a rock record with traces of dance and trance mixed in. The lyrics are dark, the lyrics are questioning, the guitar work is absolutely mindblowing, and the rhythm section is as tight as it has ever been. "Pop" showed a great deal of maturity in U2's music: the songs were meticulously crafted and played with an urgency unlike any past U2 record. People see the band during this period of their career, and view them as being ridiculous, arrogant, and desperate to draw attention to themselves. As a result, I feel most people are distracted from the content of the record, and do not want to recognize that this is a great record. It's easy enough to dismiss, but by giving "Pop" a chance and truly immersing yourself in it, it is a fantastic piece of work, ranking up there as one of U2's best.

I see "All That You Can't Leave Behind" at the opposite side of that spectrum. The lyrics seem less poetic, the music is stripped down and much more rooted in '60 rock (see "Wild Honey," "Stuck In A Moment"). I heard many claim that this was a return to the band's older sound; however, I feel that U2 has never released a record quite like this. Is it so bad to want to craft a record built on hooks and melodies? I don't think so. Many will find this music too commercialized (by U2 standards), or geared specifically towards adult mainstream pop audiences. I personally love what the band has done. They've moved past their post-ironic tendencies and have recorded an album founded on melodies and heartfelt lyrics. These songs are to the point. I simply do not feel that they have sacrificed any artistic integrity in doing this. I have listened to this album probably 100 times since October 31st, 2000. I find something new with each play. Is Bono's voice shot? It obviously lacks much of the depth and passion evidenced in previous albums, but he can still convey more emotion with his voice than 90% of other rock singers. This is a band entering its fourth decade. They have changed, they have evolved, and I eagerly anticipate what they next have to offer. As corny as it sounds, I feel as if ATYCLB is almost a background for the events of September 11. This is music many people need right now, and U2 realize this. They are proud of what they have done. And fifteen years after initially being exposed to this great band, I am eternally grateful for the contributions they have made and for the many, many lives they have touched from a "Sunday Bloody Sunday" right on through to a "Beautiful Day."

Hmm...it's funny you don't like "The First Time." I would have figured you'd like that song at least. Oh well...

And I see David Lynch's latest film has just joined the forum....welcome...err...whatever you are.
tongue.gif

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

I like the way Mulholland Drive thinks.

...except that part about liking every U2 song. I still can't stand October, hehe....

Originally posted by Mulholland Drive:
I feel a little out of place. I can't think of a single U2 song that I don't care for. I recently wrote this in response to a post on another message board, which proclaimed that U2 had sunken to the lows of adult contemporary pop, and their last two albums had been uninspired, uncreative fluff. BTW, I'm new here.
smile.gif

Nice post, Mulholland. How's Ally, by the way? lol...

I do appreciate all the band's phases--I loved what they did in the 90s, actually, in terms of the themes, irony, etc. And I agree that lyrically "Zooropa" and "Pop" have more depth than the casual listener (as well as some hard-core fans) might give them credit for. My issue with "Zooropa" isn't complex...it's just that for whatever reason, the songs don't get inside me the way the other records do--or is it that I don't get inside them? I appreciate what they were doing, I get what they were doing, but whenever I listen to "Zooropa" I always want to listen to something else instead, and usually do.
frown.gif

Originally posted by joyfulgirl:
Nice post, Mulholland. How's Ally, by the way? lol...

I do appreciate all the band's phases--I loved what they did in the 90s, actually, in terms of the themes, irony, etc. And I agree that lyrically "Zooropa" and "Pop" have more depth than the casual listener (as well as some hard-core fans) might give them credit for. My issue with "Zooropa" isn't complex...it's just that for whatever reason, the songs don't get inside me the way the other records do--or is it that I don't get inside them? I appreciate what they were doing, I get what they were doing, but whenever I listen to "Zooropa" I always want to listen to something else instead, and usually do.
frown.gif

It's not an area of concern. Any music is entirely subjective. This includes U2. Thanks for the welcome, guys.
smile.gif

80s, I liked Zooropa for a long long time but I never really liked Dirty Day until I heard it live on the Sydney video. Keep listening to live or download the 'Bitter Kiss' mix of Dirty Day from u2station.com or from Morpheus. Or both.

Hmm...I could probably listen to Zooropa everyday. But I guess you like 80s U2 best, huh?

------------------
You will believe in me
And I can never be ignored

When I get some time, I'm gonna do that with Zooropa and Pop. I haven't tried for ages. I would really love it if I could like everything by U2 (or at least a decent amount of those albums.)

Hey, if 80sU2isBest can do it, I certainly can!!!
biggrin.gif

------------------

-ACROB@T

I did the same thing with POP about a month ago. I wouldn't let myself listen to anything else in the car for a week. By Tuesday afternoon I couldn't wait to get into my car because I had 'favorite songs' on the album that I really wanted to hear, which I definatly hadn't before. Now, POP is my favorite U2 album, and I can't stop listening to it.

"I'm Not Coming Dooooowwn"

Funny you should post this. I listened to Zooropa twice yesterday and once this morning. As I listened to it I realized how underated and excellent this album is. Lyrically it is one of the most creative albums.(But, I've felt that for a long time now
biggrin.gif
)

When I first got it, it was just after finally understanding Achtung Baby, so I thought, "What are they doing now????" I remember I used to only listen to Lemon, and Some Days and that was it!! Then a friend mentioned to me "Are you nuts???? You do not know what you're missing" and she was right!

I hope you too can feel that way about it. Oh, and I also am an 80's child, but I feel that with every era that U2 has given us they are an excellent band every time.

And THAT is my two cents
smile.gif

------------------
Work like you don't need to
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like no one is watching

Originally posted by pub crawler:

LOL!!
lol.gif
*pictures 80s torturing himself in the name of love for U2*
*back to work*
That is a funny thought isn't it? Don't worry, I'm no sado masochist!
Let's just hope that NFC game is no exercise in torture (unless St. Louis is the team doing the torture). Go Rams!!

Well, here's my final analysis of the Zooropa:

I will start by saying this: When you're wrong, you're wrong. Previously, I had convinced myself after only a couple of listens that this was an awful album.
However, after this experiment, my mind has changed greatly. While it is still my second least favorite U2 album of all (I don't think will EVER like Pop), it's better than most music currently being made.

There's not a song on this CD that isn't at least tolerable. On a scale of 1 to 10 (comparing to all other U2 songs), Here are my rankings, from fave to least fave:

1.Stay-8.5 (excellent song)
2.The Wanderer - 8.4 (This song would be a 9 if Bono had sung it)
3.Lemon-8
4.Dirty Day-7.8
5.The First Time-7.5
6.Some Day-7.3
7.Daddy's ... - 7 (although I would give the lyrics a 9.6!)
8.Numb - 7
9.Zooropa - 6.6
10.Baby Face - 5.9

Originally posted by Mulholland Drive:
Is Bono's voice shot? It obviously lacks much of the depth and passion evidenced in previous albums.

"Obviously"? I had no idea that was the accepted view...I know that this has been discussed ad nauseum, but is this really the popular opinion around here? I have always thought that Bono's voice on ATYCLB was equally, if not more, passionate compared to previous albums.

Originally posted by mug222:

"Obviously"? I had no idea that was the accepted view...I know that this has been discussed ad nauseum, but is this really the popular opinion around here? I have always thought that Bono's voice on ATYCLB was equally, if not more, passionate compared to previous albums.
I agree, mug....
I know, I know, it's very strange for you and I to agree!

///////////////////////////////////
U2 of 80's are good but so fockin booooooring , remember the phrase which was said by one of the members of U2 " " the irony of this album , is that there is no irony in these songs " , irony was only a cover , a soul development was a real thing , but some people here are just stuck in time and don't want to go forward , no , Youth/drug/addicts/ants will only live in memories , live like a fucking slave to the end of thier days and pretend that everything is great and it's good not to notice the real world and godblezu,family business etc etc until one day a man with a fire in his hand will bury this whole thing up .///////////////////////////////////

Originally posted by scatteroflight:
When I get some time, I'm gonna do that with Zooropa and Pop. I haven't tried for ages. I would really love it if I could like everything by U2 (or at least a decent amount of those albums.)

Hey, if 80sU2isBest can do it, I certainly can!!!
biggrin.gif

I tried that, but I was NOT won over. (Except Stay which I already liked) I just can't sit through that kind of stuff, it's not my type. Don't force yourself to be tortured Scatteroflight. It's okay not to like all the albums. 80sU2isbest!!
biggrin.gif

------------------
~Burned by the fire of love~

Originally posted by Autumn454:
I tried that, but I was NOT won over. (Except Stay which I already liked) I just can't sit through that kind of stuff, it's not my type. Don't force yourself to be tortured Scatteroflight. It's okay not to like all the albums. 80sU2isbest!!
biggrin.gif

Well, if it's true torture, I'll stop.
wink.gif

What always amazes me is the number of people who like Zooropa or at least think it's ok but completely loathe Pop. Because at this point in time I DEFINITELY prefer Pop. Granted, a few of the songs are my least favourite ever by U2, but Pop has several songs I genuinely enjoy, whereas Zooropa always just bored and irritated me almost beginning to end (with a couple of songs and little bits I thought were ok to good.)

I think a big problem with Pop for many people was the way it looked and the fact that Bono had no hair.
biggrin.gif

------------------

-ACROB@T

[This message has been edited by scatteroflight (edited 01-26-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom