My excellent U2 moment of the day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

~LadyLemon~

I Serve Larry's Stick
I was in Madhatter, the indie record store in my little college town, and I picked up a few cds today. I also got an old British magazine that had the Clash on the cover. It was from 1979, pre-London Calling (in fact they were discussing the development of the album in the interview).

Anyway, I'm flipping through the rest of the mag, and towards the back, what do I see? A picture of U2!! With a very short article (and since the photo was from 1979 or earlier, you can guess how funny it was).

But the best part is the description the mag gave them:

Another great undiscovered Irish band...

Yep, I'm a dork but it made my day! It's so amazing to see how far they've come since then!!!

:D

I don't think you're a dork. I always look for stuff on them in old mags I run across but so far I've only found one Boy review in a 1981 magazine. (I started collecting myself in 1983, but most of the pics ended up on my wall and worn out :sigh: I was such a dork- but Bono was my teenage crush!) I would love to see the 1979 pic, they were adorable teens, nothing to laugh at, something to swoon over! :cute:

that's great!

and great sig! i was in the textbook shop today and i was standing in line spacing out when i heard "mondo bongo" the joe strummer and the mescaleros song. i almost fell onto the stacks of notebooks near the line...

That's bloody awesome, Kristina. :up: Though perhaps I should be jealous that I didn't find it first! :p

(((Madhatter)))

i was almost imadork instead of iwasbored...glad i changed my mind, but i fully acknowledge how much a dork i am...

spanisheyes said:
In the past, I've bought magazine because they had a short article of U2 inside, or a small picture on the front cover.

Same here.

Originally posted by spanisheyes
Lady Lemon, with your mag being from 1979, that is a great catch.

Chris

Yeah, that sure is.

I found this old version of the Rolling Stone Encyclopedia of Rock and Roll that my dad has (it went up through, what, 1988?) and there was a bit in there about U2, listing all their top songs up to that point and everything.

You're right, Lady Lemon-it is awesome to realize how far they've come since those times. In the "Best of 1980-1990" CD cover thing, I'm looking at the pictures of them from the late 70's and early 80's, and I'm thinking, "Wow..." (I've heard stories about them from their school days...man, what I wouldn't give to go back in time and have gone to school with them-that would've been so neat).

Seriously, when they were very first starting out-who'd have thought, you know?

I'm so envious of those of you who've been fans from the very beginning.

Angela

IWasBored said:
i was almost imadork instead of iwasbored...glad i changed my mind, but i fully acknowledge how much a dork i am...

:lol: That's funny! It would be a cool screenname, you must admit. But don't worry, i'm dork too. U2 songs follow me around from store to store in the mall, and my sis gets weirded out. Its unexplainable, and the same happens whenever a U2 song comes on the radio. I just get indescribably giddy! :hyper:

rockonedge said:

:lol: That's funny! It would be a cool screenname, you must admit. But don't worry, i'm dork too. U2 songs follow me around from store to store in the mall, and my sis gets weirded out. Its unexplainable, and the same happens whenever a U2 song comes on the radio. I just get indescribably giddy! :hyper:

"it's ok until you start singing the fucking guitar parts!!"--my sister on me being in a store when a u2 song (or any other song i like, for that matter) is playing.

IWasBored said:

"it's ok until you start singing the fucking guitar parts!!"--my sister on me being in a store when a u2 song (or any other song i like, for that matter) is playing.

I like singing the guitar parts. :reject: :lol:

I myself have to fight the urge to play "air drums". But I just found out my brother is the same way, haha.

oh there's definelty some air guitar going on while i sing guitar parts...quite often in the parking lot when i try to finish the song i was listening to in the car...my family tries to walk towards wherevcer we're going as far away from me as possible...

I play air drums and guitar too, you guys.

Lately, my sister has been getting mad at me for doing the little Discoteque dance whenever I hear the "Boom Cha" part!
It's just too fun to resist.

brdemi said:
I play air drums and guitar too, you guys.

I've been known to play air drums...

Originally posted by brdemi
Lately, my sister has been getting mad at me for doing the little Discoteque dance whenever I hear the "Boom Cha" part!
It's just too fun to resist.

Ha, my sister loves the little dance at the end of that video! She actually does it when it comes up! She thinks it's hilarious. :D.

I get happy when I hear U2 songs in various places-when I heard "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" on the school bus one morning, I was singing along, and my sister's looking around and she's like, "You're singing kinda loud..." and I was like, "I don't care,"

Then when we stopped at the middle school, the song hadn't finished yet as I got off the bus-and I was still singing the song as I walked down the sidewalk of the middle school. My sister just gave me a weird look.

And anytime I hear U2 on the radio, up goes the volume. :).

Angela

Me - *plays air drums in the car while stuck in heavy traffic*

Sis - :rolleyes:

I'm NOT a dork.

:laugh:

Is it dorky that I always have something U2 related in my purse *just in case* I should run into the guys somewhere, like at my dentist or maybe the local shopping mall? :shifty: I think that's beyond dorky. :reject:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom