Mullen taking a raincheck in HTDAAB? (plus U2's mellowest album?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
UnforgettableLemon said:
I think there's a lotta love here for Adam and Larry. You're safer here than in PLEBA, though.

Honestly, though, I think Adam has a pretty distinctive bass style. It's understated compared to the Edge's wild guitar, but Adam's got his own thing.

You can say 'without the Edge U2 would not be U2' without dissing Adam and Larry. Adam and Larry provided a solid 'rock and roll' backbone over which Edge could create his magical, ambient guitar scapes. But U2 is most recognizable for Edge's signature guitar sound and Bono's epic voice. Larry and Adam are irreplacable (i.e. - cannot be replaced) because U2 is a whole unit, but you ask anyone casually familiar with U2, and they'll tell you it's Bono and Edge that makes the 'unique' sound.

-Miggster

Dr_Macphisto said:
Man, everyone is being pretty hard on this Jick character for his beliefs.

I dunno, anyone who has as much contempt towards Adam as I've observed from this Jick character, has something "off."

I had no idea anyone could have such contempt, to Adam of all people.

http://forum.interference.com/t101001.html

Maybe it's all just in jest, but how do you pick on Adam. You just don't pick on people like that, I mean, you shouldn't pick on anybody, but why go after the underdog.

Who picks on the bass player of a band? Aside from a few bands, (the Beatles, Police, Who) most bass players don't try to be in the spotlight, at least not on purpose.

Last edited:
thrillme said:

I dunno, anyone who has as much contempt towards Adam as I've observed from this Jick character, has something "off."

I had no idea anyone could have such contempt, to Adam of all people.

http://forum.interference.com/t101001.html

Maybe it's all just in jest, but how do you pick on Adam. You just don't pick on people like that, I mean, you shouldn't pick on anybody, but why go after the underdog.

Who picks on the bass player of a band? Aside from a few bands, (the Beatles, Police, Who) most bass players don't try to be in the spotlight, at least not on purpose.

I am not picking on Clayton for no reason at all. Clayton made himself an open target to criticism thanks to being the "odd man out" - the only non-Christian, the only one busted for drugs, and the only one who missed a gig. I also maintain that if Bono or Edge or Mullen missed a gig, the entire show would have been stopped. But it was *only* Clayton who missed a gig so they went on.

Back to the topic, this thread isn't a knock on Mullen. It's more of a knock on Lilywhite or whoever else for not working Mullen like a dog to meet his full potential in HTDAAB. Mullen was relegated to a flower in this album, not the workhorse dog he always usually is in other U2 albums.

Cheers,

J

jick said:

I am not picking on Clayton for no reason at all. Clayton made himself an open target to criticism thanks to being the "odd man out" - the only non-Christian, the only one busted for drugs, and the only one who missed a gig. I also maintain that if Bono or Edge or Mullen missed a gig, the entire show would have been stopped. But it was *only* Clayton who missed a gig so they went on.

Back to the topic, this thread isn't a knock on Mullen. It's more of a knock on Lilywhite or whoever else for not working Mullen like a dog to meet his full potential in HTDAAB. Mullen was relegated to a flower in this album, not the workhorse dog he always usually is in other U2 albums.

Cheers,

J

Oh please, he got arrested 1 time and he missed 1 show. How many members of bands with 24 years of career can say that?

I'm sure Dallas Schoo could fill in for Edge well enough, as could Larry's technician fill in for Larry. Bono IMO would be more of a difficulty to replace.

I do hear less of Larry Mullen on HTDAAB yes.

Remember the Joshua Tree Making Of DVD? Watch Larry/Lanois saying that with Lanois and Eno Larry played better than with Lillywhite.

Lillywhite is much more into the vocals/guitar.

Jick, i think you should dig through U2's 10 other studio albums and give us statistics on those so we can compare.

U2girl said:

Oh please, he got arrested 1 time and he missed 1 show. How many members of bands with 24 years of career can say that?

I'm sure Dallas Schoo could fill in for Edge well enough, as could Larry's technician fill in for Larry. Bono IMO would be more of a difficulty to replace.

Let's not even try to compare Clayton to members of other bands just in the same way that is it taboo to compare U2 to pretenders like REM, Radiohead, Depeche Mode, or less-than-10-year wonders like The Beatles or The Police. U2 are on a league of their own. Clayton's standards for clean living and good morality should not be gauged against other bands but against his fellow co-workers. In U2, Clayton is the odd man out and the bad boy. If you compare Clayton to members of other bands then Clayton would easily be the choirboy. That's how good U2 have been as a band, and even Clayton's misdemeanors aren't that bad.

Cheers,

J

U2_Guy said:

Remember the Joshua Tree Making Of DVD? Watch Larry/Lanois saying that with Lanois and Eno Larry played better than with Lillywhite.

If you look at this album, Edge was worked like a dog.

Bono had to think of innovative ways to use the words love, heart, and soul in every song without making it sound tiring. He had to hit his head so hard to come up with great songwriting and his voice was pushed to the limit.

Clayton was just being Clayton.

Mullen took a raincheck.

Yet, fans and critics alike agree that this is one of U2's finest albums. I'd say the producer intentionally left Mullen out of the loop so that there will still be room for surprise and anticipation in their next album.

And for U2's final album, it will be one where Bono, Edge and Mullen are worked like dogs and no one taking rainchecks. Can you imagine how massive that album would be? I can't wait for that album.

Cheers,

J

Jick,

Not that i care too much but just for fun, can you do the same stats with The Joshua Tree?

I am thinking about wowy, rtss, motd... maybe you'll have a surprise.

Thanks

jick said:

Let's not even try to compare Clayton to members of other bands just in the same way that is it taboo to compare U2 to pretenders like REM, Radiohead, Depeche Mode, or less-than-10-year wonders like The Beatles or The Police. U2 are on a league of their own. Clayton's standards for clean living and good morality should not be gauged against other bands but against his fellow co-workers. In U2, Clayton is the odd man out and the bad boy. If you compare Clayton to members of other bands then Clayton would easily be the choirboy. That's how good U2 have been as a band, and even Clayton's misdemeanors aren't that bad.

Cheers,

J

You constantly compare Adam to other member of U2 and pick on him. You have also compared U2 to the Beatles before. But no one else can? Come on.

I think it's just as fair to compare member within one band or members among bands (for example, compare Edge to another guitar player). No taboos, and I can't think of a band that, after 24 years, doesn't have any bad history except a member being arrested once and missing one singular show. That's amazing by rock band standards IMO.

Last edited:
jick said:

Cheers,

J

That's not really fair though, comparing Christians to non-Christians, though, it really is comparing apples to oranges. Just as you say, compare Adam to other non-Christians, and he is like a choir boy, especially nowadays.

Gotta compare to the same type, compare Adam to say, Paul McCartney, (both bass players),

Adam's sober, Paul is rumoured to still smoke pot.

Adam and Larry are one of rock's most solid rhythm sections, a somewhat 'indie' magazine even said this, Paul and John Lennon were more together than Paul and Ringo. U2 seem to enjoy being in each other's company, some bands, you wonder why they even bother being in a band.

U2 values friendship and loyalty over technical ability in playing an instrument. Maybe it's an Irish thing.

Adam missed a gig from drinking, but not from partying, but over the break-down of his relationship to his fi'ancee. People have done worse over a break-up, some deal with it okay, and some people aren't phased at all by them, at least don't seem to be.

But okay, compare Adam to the other members now, he doesn't drink anymore, he was compared to a Buddhist monk by one magazine. He's changed, and according to Bono, is a Christian as well.

U2_Guy said:

I think Lillywhite emphasizes bass and drums more than Lanois/Eno. Though of course the song with the best bassline is A Man and A Woman, which was produced by Jacknife Lee. And the best drums might be in Love and Peace or Else, which was Lanois/Eno. So maybe I have no idea what I am talking about. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom