Much More New Music Rumors and Such...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When an U2 album is not received the way U2 expected, they panic. It happened with Pop and it clearly happened with NLOTH. Now I'm afraid that U2 steps back even more than what happened 10 years ago.
Or perhaps they didn't step back and didn't panic but instead realised that what they really wanted to do at that time was to do a more classic U2 album?

Panic? I don't think there's any sign of panic now. But I do think Bono's Rolling Stone comments suggest that they've looked at both sides of No Line - the more conservative singles and more creative (for lack of a better definition) bulk of the album - and blamed that 'difficult' bulk for it not catching fire. (Which is odd, but anyway.) And while Bono's pre-album specific sound/feel descriptions and hype generally end up to be complete B.S., his post-album assessments are always a bang on indication of where the next album will roughly land. So he might say the next one will be sexy electro-jungle tango from pluto, and that will turn out to be horseshit, but when he says that he thought this one was 'too difficult', that means that the next one will be more conservative/simple - take that to the bank.

call me a crazy and all, but how the hell does that make sense? the tickets are already sold... why would they have to release a new album to plug dates that are already sold out?

unless they plan on adding a slew of new dates, i think it's either in time for christmas, which is getting more and more unlikely, or next christmas... or beyond.

They've already added Pittsburgh to next year which currently stands as the US closer. There had been some reports I believe of them adding St. Louis as well and it wouldn't shock me to see Foxboro get another show (or two). If they release a new album, they'll almost definitely add more dates.

Or perhaps they didn't step back and didn't panic but instead realised that what they really wanted to do at that time was to do a more classic U2 album?

Exactly. Except ATYCLB is really more a U2 "pop" album.

As a result of panicking about NLOTH's lack of (to U2's standards) success due to it being (in the eyes of U2) too challenging for radio listeners.

But that's just my take.

Aren't some of those dates not sold out yet? I think with a year postponement, and the possibility of new dates U2 will have to release something prior to the US dates.

i could see them releasing a single, or even an EP, but rushing out an entire album just to sell a few hundred seats that aren't sold out yet? or two/three more gigs that they'd probably sell out without a new album?

doesn't make sense to me.

if the argument is they're going to add a bunch of new dates... 10-12 or so, if not more... then yea, it would make sense that they'd want a new album of some sort to help sell the dates out.

frankly i think the few tickets that remain unsold could be sold with a small marketing campaign in the cities in which they're available. the casual fans who probably didn't want to buy tickets a few months after the show they already bought tickets to may be more inclined to buy those tickets now, and those fans don't really care much about a new album anyways. those who are amped for a new album, namely us, probably already have tickets.

As a result of panicking about NLOTH's lack of (to U2's standards) success due to it being (in the eyes of U2) too challenging for radio listeners.

But that's just my take.

But I wouldn't call that a panic. A panic is when they get a few months from a due release and say FUCK! NO STONKING BIG U2 SINGLES! DELAY! DELAY! which may or may not have happened or be happening with whatever this is they're playing at, but likely is what happened on No Line and Atomic Bomb.

What you're talking about, a post NLOTH re-think due to lesser sales, would be more to do with pushing a strategy above (to sound like a wanker) the art. As in, not just "Where are we musically, creatively" (or whatever), whatever happens naturally, but "Right, that one sold a couple of million less than the last one. How do we recoup that?"

One question,why would soon be on the new album when it was released with the dvd? This to me says fake!

I am actually expecting it to be. It had very limited release, and it was only because it was the tour opener. It is still a NLOTH leftover, and fits SOA theme perfectly.

On another note, I had a dream that the album was being released on 9 December

I had a dream last night that I got a hold of the new albums track list and I was super excited until I saw that it was Marilyn Manson's new album.

That Hear nothing, fear nothing, how can someone fear nothing part, it's missing from my version of Mercy. The bridge isn't there. Which makes it go verse chorus verse chorus verse chorus and it makes it quite boring. Which is why I never liked the song that much, I just didn't go anywhere. I'll take back some (not all remarks) about the old version of Mercy. I still prefer the new lyrics, the new chorus is a lot better, and the because because because part is great. But that bridge is awesome!

Love or hate the song, what I find interesting is that you like the "because, because, because" bit. To me, that almost ruined the song. I MUCH MUCH MUCH prefer the "hear nothing, fear nothing" over that. I hope Bono continues to fiddle with the lyrics and ultimately removes the annoying "because, because, because" bit (and adds back in the beautiful belting of "fear nothing" at some point).

They did say they were gauging how the songs went over on tour, hopefully they'll hear plenty of feedback that tells them it was better in 2004. If you must make it a little more rocking, and have a radio edit I can live with that, but don't turn it into nothing special.

I'm not trying to say that people here like anything new simply because it's U2. That's absolutely not what I'm trying to say.

But I AM worried that some people try to trick themselves into liking something simply because it comes from this band. U2 is my favorite band, too, but I admit (loudly) when they do something wrong. And this is one instance, in my eyes, that they've completely slipped up. This new Mercy is not something I'm happy about.

I repeat this only because I DO think the band reads the message boards sometimes (Larry does, anyway.) Larry's made constant mention of the "militant" side of the fanbase, and I can't think of any bigger group of gripers than right here on Interference. So if what the general consensus is here gets back to the band, I surely hope they consider going back to the drawing board (or, more importantly, back to the 2004 version) when it comes to Mercy.

As much as I still hold to the fact that it's their song and they can do with as they please, I'm :pray:ing they do just as you said John.

I'm not trying to say that people here like anything new simply because it's U2. That's absolutely not what I'm trying to say.

But I AM worried that some people try to trick themselves into liking something simply because it comes from this band. U2 is my favorite band, too, but I admit (loudly) when they do something wrong. And this is one instance, in my eyes, that they've completely slipped up. This new Mercy is not something I'm happy about.

I repeat this only because I DO think the band reads the message boards sometimes (Larry does, anyway.) Larry's made constant mention of the "militant" side of the fanbase, and I can't think of any bigger group of gripers than right here on Interference. So if what the general consensus is here gets back to the band, I surely hope they consider going back to the drawing board (or, more importantly, back to the 2004 version) when it comes to Mercy.

But what if the general consensus in here is wrong, acting on impulse or just premature?

Well, Everything You Know may be Wrong, but we all know the griping around here is always right, :wink:.

I admit I avoided this song for awhile because the title made me assume it was another American Prayer sort of stepchild:

YouTube - U2 - We Love You - [Unreleased Song] (Elevation Antwerp)

Wow! For one thing, it says that fulfilling intent is the heart of the matter for me when it comes to lyrics- half of the song is Bono (apparently) improvising off the top of his head and the other half is just saying "I love you", yet nothing about it bugs me at all because it's not trying to sell platitudes as profundities.

It's also just a great languid jam that breathes in a way that I haven't felt very often the last couple years. And listening to We Love You in the context of Mercy (as all things inevitably must in this thread) from reading The John Tree's solid post makes me wonder about how the band actually would approach a "release" version of the song, or if they'd even bother without a strict verse/chorus structure.

Oh well. Just wanted to write a little bit about We Love You. I enjoy how loose the band sounds playing it.

I doubt they've even thought about it for more than a second since then. I think even calling it an 'unreleased song' is kind of ridiculous. It's just an offhand, on the spot interlude/jam thing, that they remarkably manage to keep going for some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom