Mr Macphisto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jdelbove

Acrobat
I freakin love when Bono preforms as Mr. Macphisto I wish that he would bring that back for the next show. I love how he speaks, acts and sings differently when he is playing him it realy is a testement to how awsome Bono is.

Does anyone know any great clips of Bono preforming as Macphisto besides on the zoo tv dvd

Jdelbove said:
I freakin love when Bono preforms as Mr. Macphisto I wish that he would bring that back for the next show. I love how he speaks, acts and sings differently when he is playing him it realy is a testement to how awsome Bono is.

Does anyone know any great clips of Bono preforming as Macphisto besides on the zoo tv dvd

Zoo TV Dublin has him performing Desire and Ultraviolet. Look it up on youtube.

I love Macphisto too. :D

If you would like to check out a really funny phone call of Macphisto's, watch the Zoo TV show from Adelaide in 1993. It's available at the spiral staircase website. :) You could also probably find it on youtube...

Macphisto was awesome, but there's no way Bono would do it again- no tour u2 do in the future will accommodate a character like that i think...
i actually didn't mind Macphisto's WOWY :shrug: :reject:
i'll agree there's definately better versions (R&H movie), but it wasn't horrible... it has a more intense feeling in the Sydney version- especially the look in his eyes when he turns around to face the stage near the end... :drool:

It wasn't MacPhisto's fault that Edge switched guitars and Larry switched the drum beat.

But then again, even the Evening Herald used to slag him off, so...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Backs up my theory that any singer worth their salt would make a good actor...

Now that I think about it, that's a fantastic theory. :hmm:

I guess I'm one of the few fans that found MacPhisto kind of embarrassing. I think the Mirrorball Man was pushing the envelope and he probably should have just left it at that.

Blue Room said:
I guess I'm one of the few fans that found MacPhisto kind of embarrassing. I think the Mirrorball Man was pushing the envelope and he probably should have just left it at that.

If I were Bono, I'd be more embarassed about An Cat Dubh Live from Vertigo: Chicago than about MacPhisto.

Acrobat Angel said:
Macphisto lemon and daddy's gonna pay :drool: :drool:

:up:

MacPhisto's maybe my favorite idea to come out of the ZooTV era.

I preferred his prank calls to The Mirrorball Man's prank calls, too, but The Mirrorball Man got to own Desire (basically make it has bitch) through most of '92, so it's about even I guess.

Acrobat Angel said:
"I have a vision... I have a vision... Television... TELEVISION!!!" :drool: :rockon:
definately a great version of desire...

That's Mirrorball Man, actually...

I personally love the Zoo version of WOWY up until the Zoomerang leg...I had no problem with it on the 1st Macphisto leg, and on the DVD Mac sells it so well that I don't care that it skips a few beats musically. Personally my favourite versions were the Mirrorball Man versions from the Second Leg (See: Stockholm) for the stunning extended guitar solo (that if I might say so sounds a bit like the solo from the Fly...)

I still think my favourite bono from Zoo was The Fly though...he had everything that tour needed to be pulled off right, and none of the (often, but not always) cheesy silliness of both of the encore characters.

~A.j.~

BonoVoxSupastar said:
The problem with Macphisto is he ruined WOWY... Other than that he was a pretty cool guy, may he rest in peace.

I liked the Zooropa-era WOWY...mostly because they didn't drag it out. If they play WOWY, I'd prefer them to get it over with quick. :wink:

On the other hand, MacPhisto singing Lemon and Daddy's Gonna Pay...:drool: :drool: :drool:

I was never a huge fan of him. Mostly because Bono used that accent while singing songs and I had a harder time taking the songs seriously. Ultraviolet to me is a beautiful love song. Same with Lemon and WOWY. I didn't like hearing it sang by a weird devil dude. It was cool for Daddy's Gonna Pay though.

I don't want Bono to bring back any older characters. I want him to make up new ones if he's gonna get into that whole character thing.

Last edited:
He was good for the phonecalls and it worked for Lemon and Daddy's gonna pay... but otherwise I preferred it when they didn't use the characters on that tour, with the exception of The Fly.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
The problem with Macphisto is he ruined WOWY...

You kidding man? Did you not :drool:x400 when watching Lemon/WOWY on the Sydney DVD?

And I agree... bringing him back now would not work I don't think. I don't think they're cool enough to do it anymore, but that by no means is a criticism.

Jdelbove said:
I freakin love when Bono preforms as Mr. Macphisto I wish that he would bring that back for the next show.

yeah, for one or two shows, like a surprise... that would be great :drool:

I see absolutely no reason to bring him back - as most of his character relied on the European political conflicts of the time, and wouldn't fit in quite so now these days.

And Bono is too old anyway, it'd just be weird.

Never a big fan.

I did like MacPhisto, Bono is actually very good at his characters and knows exactly how to play the very stuffy, creepy, old english gentlemen role. The Adelaide film is great for showing just how well he understood the character, he really is in Macphistos skin. In my mind he's more memorable than Mirrorball man who I could never really work out. As others have said I too didn't like him singing the songs with the accent, and I don't think he did it because he was in charcater, I just think it was easier for him to perform Ultraviolet and WOWY that way, i.e: easier for him to speak rather than sing the songs.

Popmart never really had any characters did it? A variety of different costumes and looks but never really a character to go with them, certainly no names, and looking at it now I'm glad. Zoo Tv was a moment in time and it worked for then, but let it be now.

Back
Top Bottom