Mr BOLD Chris Martin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
[q] Coldplay's 'Speed of Sound' Shoots to No 1 on iTunes Music Store Overnight, Marking Incredible Worldwide Rise; 'X&Y,' Album Due in Stores June 7, 2005

LOS ANGELES (Capitol Records) - "Speed of Sound," the first single from Coldplay's forthcoming "X&Y," is No 1 on all iTunes Music Stores worldwide one short day after its release. "Speed of Sound" had an incredible rise globally on the iTunes Music Store achieving the No 1 position on all 15 stores. The iTunes Music Store is in Austria, Belgium, Canada, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, the United Kingdom, and the United States.

"'Speed of Sound's' No 1 iTunes Music Store debut confirms that the worldwide anticipation for new Coldplay music is undeniable," said Andrew Slater, Capitol Records' President & CEO. "As great as expectations are for this release, excitement will be met with a career-defining album from Coldplay."

"Coldplay's 'Speed of Sound' has been a hit with music fans topping iTunes charts today in every country, only a day after its release," said Eddy Cue, Apple's vice president of Applications. "With iTunes' extensive reach, there's no faster way to bring a pre-release track like this to fans around the world."

"Speed of Sound" went to radio on Monday; the companion video for the single will be directed by Mark Romanek. Coldplay will headline the first day of the Coachella Music Festival in Indio, CA on Saturday, April 30th. Following the release of "X&Y," Coldplay will embark on their biggest world tour yet, beginning with dates in Europe, the UK and Ireland. Plans are in the works for a 40-city North American summer tour.

Since forming in London in 1998, Coldplay - comprised of Guy Berryman (bass), Jonny Buckland (lead guitar), Will Champion (drums) and Chris Martin (vocals, guitar, keyboards) - has won four Grammy awards, including the prestigious Record of the Year award for "Clocks." The band's two previous releases, "Parachutes" (2000) and "A Rush of Blood to the Head" (2002), have sold a combined 20 million copies worldwide.[/q]

[q]
Coldplay Scores Top 10 U.S. Debut 'Speed of Sound'
Fri Apr 29, 2005 06:37 PM ET
Printer Friendly | Email Article | Reprints
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Coldplay became the first British band since the Beatles to score a single debut in the U.S. top 10 songs on Billboard's Hot 100 chart, the music magazine said on Friday.

The single, "Speed of Sound," opened at No. 8 on the chart, which ranks sales and airplay, making Coldplay the only other U.K. band besides the Beatles to register such a hit.

The Beatles first graced the U.S. chart in the week of Sept. 14, 1968 when "Hey Jude," the Beatles' first single on their own Apple imprint, entered the chart at No. 10, according to Billboard.

A year later, the Beatles' "Get Back" also opened at No. 10. In 1970, the Beatles' "Let It Be" became the highest Hot 100 debut at the time when it bowed at No. 6.

The Beatles' "Free as a Bird" debuted at No. 10 in 1995.[/q]

I recommend the following songs for those who haven't listened to Coldplay:

1. I Bloom Blum
2. 1.36
3. I run away
4. One I love
5. Shiver
6. Amsterdam
7. High Speed
8. A Rush of Blood To The Head

Last edited:
Speed of Sound will quickly vanish once people realize how mundane it becomes after repeated listenings....the quick rise says a lot more about expectations than the actual content of the song

i think one of the posters on this forum had it bang on by judging thier progression by age instead of number of albums made, however, as a unit i think coldplay will fail

think about it.... by this time in u2's career, edge had his trademark sound, adam had made the riff for new years day and larry had the druming riff for sunday bloody sunday.

coldplay on the other hand (in my opinion), thier creative process relies heavily on Chris Martin. currently i haven't seen any of the other guys (with the possable exception of johnny buckland) make that kind of impression in a musical manner of speaking

maybe this new album will change my opinion (i hope)........

coemgen said:
Despite what I said earlier, I do believe Coldplay has the best shot at becoming "the next U2." I am a fan of what they do, but it'll be hard to still be relevant 25 years later with the same lineup. I guess we'll see. To some degree though, there will never be another U2.

This is 100% accurate. A band like U2 can never exist in this vacuum that is now known as the music industry. However, if there is any band out there that has the songwriting ability, the keen sense of capturing an atmosphere and a lead singer is not afraid of the limelight it's Coldplay. This is why they are this generation's most likely "U2"-like band.

Peace.

I think EITHER...

Coldplay are going to become the biggest band in the world in the next couple of years for all the wrong reasons, [ie. making a further few records that unfortunately have the same sound each and every time, yet sell in the MILLIONS just because it's Coldplay, you know the kind of band, right??]

OR

they will [hopefully] suddenly find a fantastic new direction and will use it to their advantage, combining with their style of songwriting and basically make some of the finest music ever...!! Too hard to tell which until X+Y shows up in a month's time....

I don't even understand why this is a controversy. There is nothing wrong with wanting to have aspirations to be as good as soemone/something you admire. Having U2 in the recording studio for inspiration is not creepy, it's flattering and a sign of modesty. They're striving, they don't say 'we're better than U2', they're saying 'we're aspiring to be.'

-Miggy

Coldplay are boring, bland and are the epitomy of all that is wrong about the current music scene i.e. crap simplistic tunes wirtten and produced by mediocre musicians who are happy to play simple chords without pushing the barrier or being exciting.

The difference between Coldplay and U2 is that U2 have always sounded very difference to what was going on in the music scene in the 1980s for example, whereas Coldplay now sound like Snow Patrol, Athlete, Interpol etc in terms of their musical style.

If anything I would say bands like The Bravery and The Killers particular have more potential and are more exciting than Coldplay, but none of these bands will be superstars. Just like Oasis are now just living on past glories (come on Lyla is just a poor homage to the beatles) and Radiohead are just happy to release experimental nonsense nobody remembers. Ask a random person, say a 45 year old person, to name a radiohead song from the last 5 years, will they know one? That may not be their target audience, but ask a 15 year old if they know a U2 tune and they are likely to.

Chris Martin is a weak and limited singer, Bono had always had a better and more interesting vocal and it has suited a variety of musical style Martin could only wish for. Also, does anyone know any of the other members of the band?

They have a boring image, no sense of style or charisma, in either there music, live performances or personal image. You can detect I am not a huge fan, well not at all, but only because I feel they are one of the most overrated bands in modern time and are breeding a number of imitation bands, who are actually better i.e. i think Snow Patrol are better than Coldplay, but still don't like them.

U2 will always be better in terms of music, style, image, playing live but more importantly they mean a lot more, their music has more potency and they will be remembered for a long time, I doubt Coldplay will.

Last edited:
One of the most ridiculous statements I've ever heard. Coldplay have some really nice songs but they've only released 2 albums for Pete's sake. Not only that, this is a very different era for music. There's not a chance they'll ever be as "big" as U2 - That is impossible. Sorry Chris - NOT A CHANCE!!!

I love coldplay and think comparisons of R.E.M. and Oasis are pretty accurate. They will always be real big but never "the biggest."

Love Coldplay as well....but their new single is a rehash and wears thin...

Reviews of their Coachella performance over the weekend were luke warm at best...

And those that have heard the new album aren't calling it their best effort.

That said, they are really just getting started...but I do question a guy whose wife is good friends with Madonna.:huh:

Until they can go to New York and fill MSG for a week straight there is no arguement, and from the sound of A Speed Of Sound in the end it sounds like more of the same, that they did on the last album....only thing that Martin himself it seems is good at writing is ballad music, until they prove they can write a real true rock record, they will have a very segmented fanbase compaired to U2s.

I've been reading this thread with interest and a lot of amusement. What a lot of Coldplay bashing! Chris Martin has come with a statement of what he'd like his band to aspire to and everyone thinks he's the Pretender come to knock the Emperor off his throne!

Back in the early 80's Bono was making all sorts of OTT statements of where he thought U2 were going to go, and he got a lot of flack for it, particularly from the English music media. Nobody then believed they would get huge, or predicted that they would ever do a record anything like Achtung Baby. (Christ knows I didn't!)

Unless we're all fortune tellers (and if you are, can you tell the lotto numbers PLEASE? *) who knows where Coldplay, or anyone else will end up.

* funds needed, U2 2006 tour expenses to support

Back
Top Bottom