Mothers Of The Disappeared

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ponkine

Refugee
"Midnight, our sons and daughters
Were cut down, taken from us
Hear their heartbeat
We hear their heartbeat

In the wind we hear their laughter
In the rain we see their tears
Hear their heartbeat
We hear their heartbeat

Night hangs like a prisoner
Stretched over black and blue
Hear their heartbeat
We hear their heartbeat

In the trees our sons stand naked
Through the walls our daughters cry
See their tears in the rainfall"

In most countries of South and Central America we had to suffer dictatorships more or less cruelty. Bono wrote this song because of this situation, and it was a way to say the world that so many people in Latin America were being arrested, tortured and killed, with the silence of the rest of the world. Similar situation is happening right now in Africa, with civil wars and all that, and the rest of the world don't give a s*** because they are poor, black and ignorant for the world ...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VYfKM1jEotg

This is the performance of this song in Santiago 1998 :heart:

Every U2 fan should watch this performance

One of the most poignant U2 performances ever. Sola Sierra (the main woman who appears with Bono) died some years ago and she never found the body of her missing husband, tortured and disappeared during Pinochet dictatorship

I remember crying during most of this song. U2 touched us in a very deep part of all of us. It's hard to explain how it feels when you attend to a Rock concert for having a good time and singing along with one of your favourite bands, and you leave the stadium without saying a word, with your look put at the infinite and thinking and thinking ...

That's the reason why this performance touched us in a way we never felt before. You can even see the sincerity of the band in Larry and Bono faces. Bono admitted that the ending of the concert wasn't prepared at all. They just invited the Chilean Mothers Of The Disappeared On Stage and they made the rest. The idea of talking to us (the audience) was Bono's in that moment, and that made it unique. The next morning the band attended to the memorial of the Disappeared.

I wish you'll never have to live in a dictatorship. Many of us here were born in Pinochet tirany (1973-1990) and grew up with fear, sadness, hate and opression.

:heart:

:hug: ponkine :hug:

That was the first time I'd ever seen the entire performance. Before this the only part I ever saw was the snippet that's on the Joshua Tree Classic Albums DVD.

I love this song so much. I was inspired to learn more about the disappeared people because of it.

One of my uncles is a dissapeared from the Pinochet regime, and i still can't understand why the only country in the world that has Pinochet's supporters is our own Chile.

This song has so much meaning and that interpretation in 1998 was unbelievable touching, especially for me...

:heart:

THis song always brings me to tears. One of their most underrated songs ever. Love to listen to this thru headphones at night.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
this song was obviously just a case of bono selling out to south america...

it's funny how you hold this song so close to your heart, as you should... yet you can't see how americans hold the moment when bono showed the american flag at the post-9/11 super bowl would be close to ours...

You know, I know people who literally hate U2 because of that Super Bowl performance...they say U2 commercialized 9-11 by displaying the names on the screens, and that they only did it to make themselves look good. I never understood that...

it's funny how you hold this song so close to your heart, as you should... yet you can't see how americans hold the moment when bono showed the american flag at the post-9/11 super bowl would be close to ours...

:love:

I'm not saying I agree with the following, but I believe the criticism is because it was

a) too close to 9/11 -- remember that much of the remains of the WTC were still in place and in some places still smouldering. It was only three and a half months after.
and
b) it was an inappropriate reminder during a game that was supposed to relieve us of that terrible gloom. Remember all the fears that there might be an attack during the game, and metal detectors, police dogs and the like. And here an Irish rock band brings it all back.

I'm still not sure how we all got through those days. Sometimes it still seems like a movie or a bad dream.

But back to Children: it really is appropriate to think of and play that song now that trials are underway in Argentina and there could finally, finally be some justice. I have met some of the brave Madres of the Plaza de Mayo and their stories make you weep. This isn't even a generation ago, the missing are our contemporaries, and there's still time for an accounting.

I can understand how US people felt, of course. But they were 2 totally different situations:

First of all, Mothers Of Disappeared was written because of the situation in Central and South America. U2 didn't write anything for the Super Bowl event.

Second, the Super Bowl performance was prepared on purpose for a transmited event to millions and millions with the agreement of the US government (that was what killed the performance, the big marketing diffusion, government campaing behind the event, etc) . Mothers Of The Disappeared performance was intended as a humble omage to the local fans who attended to a U2 concert. Nobody knew about the performance, even us (people who attended to the gig) didn't know anything about that until they performed it in Argentina a week earlier. It wasn't prepared for a BIG exhibition and all that. And it was a U2 concert, not a mini performance in the middle of another event.

Third, Mothers Of The Disappeared has the same meaning as Sunday Bloody Sunday, Miss Sarejevo or other U2 songs, something specific that the band needed to point out and say something about. Also the Performance had the same feeling as Miss Sarajevo in a U2 concert in 1997.

What U2 did on their next Elevation concerts was right, but the Super Bowl show was way too much, and it was seen as campaing, marketing, etc. That's the reason why so many people (outside USA, of course) hate the Super Bowl performance.
:(

ponkine said:

I can understand how US people felt, of course. But they were 2 totally different situations:

First of all, Mothers Of Disappeared was written because of the situation in Central and South America. U2 didn't write anything for the Super Bowl event.

Second, the Super Bowl performance was prepared on purpose for a transmited event to millions and millions with the agreement of the US government (that was what killed the performance, the big marketing diffusion, government campaing behind the event, etc) . Mothers Of The Disappeared performance was intended as a humble omage to the local fans who attended to a U2 concert. Nobody knew about the performance, even us (people who attended to the gig) didn't know anything about that until they performed it in Argentina a week earlier. It wasn't prepared for a BIG exhibition and all that. And it was a U2 concert, not a mini performance in the middle of another event.

Third, Mothers Of The Disappeared has the same meaning as Sunday Bloody Sunday, Miss Sarejevo or other U2 songs, something specific that the band needed to point out and say something about. Also the Performance had the same feeling as Miss Sarajevo in a U2 concert in 1997.

What U2 did on their next Elevation concerts was right, but the Super Bowl show was way too much, and it was seen as campaing, marketing, etc. That's the reason why so many people (outside USA, of course) hate the Super Bowl performance.

What on earth was agreed with the US government over the Super Bowl performance?? :huh: Which conspiracy theory is that?

Yeah, they were two different things. MOTD was for something that had happened some time before. The SB performance was for something that had only recently happened. The MOTD performance was done to make a statement and create a connection. The SB performance was done to make a statement and to create a connection---and because the event was so close to the performance, it was done to also uplift and enliven the audience for whom it was geared.

U2 didn't write a song for the SB performance----would that have made you happy? Or would that have made you even more likely to say they've sold out to the US?

Who cares that the SB performance was televised? The MOTD performance was in front of how many tens of thousands of people? Same deal. If Chile could produce something like a Super Bowl and televise it in the same way, the band would have performed it then...just the same. Instead, they performed it in front of 30,000 or 80,000 people or however many were at the stadium. AND the performance has been televised. I don't see much of a difference.

Finally, you claim that MOTD has a meaning that the SB performance didn't have. Guess what, dude. If you were an American and saw the show, it had meaning to you. You can't get it....whatever. I'll tell you that much of ATYCLB took on a whole new life for many people. Many people were uplifted by that performance; people I know who think 00s U2 suck say that the performance was huge. Streets and MLK---two songs that don't need to be specifically written for a unique event in order to have an uplifting, meaningful effect on somebody. MLK in front of a couple million people expecting a rock show? That's fucking huge.

So, your reasoning from this post and previous ones on why the SB performance is crap & evidence of U2 "selling out" to the US:

1. They arranged it with the government :huh: :huh:
2. Bono wore a US flag in his jacket (even though he's worn other countries' flags as a jacket before and since)
3. It was advertised and televised. Wow, perhaps so that it could reach people who could benefit from it...?
4. They didn't play a song written about the Super Bowl :huh:
5. People knew about the event before it happened :huh:

Dude, your reasoning is nuts, and it's pretty apparent to most people who read it. If you hate the US, fine. Just quit attaching all of these conspiracy theories to a friggin' peformance. And if you want people to respect how something has meaning to you, then quit repeatedly posting about how something meaningful to them is "bullsh**," etc. Goes both ways, my friend. To return the favor, I've always hated that MOTD clip because right before Bono has to start singing, a woman walks up to speak and he doesn't let her because he has to sing. Looks to me like he cares more about the timing of the song than letting a mother speak. Doesn't feel so nice.

Last edited:
Utoo said:

What on earth was agreed with the US government over the Super Bowl performance?? :huh: Which conspiracy theory is that?

Yeah, they were two different things. MOTD was for something that had happened some time before. The SB performance was for something that had only recently happened. The MOTD performance was done to make a statement and create a connection. The SB performance was done to make a statement and to create a connection---and because the event was so close to the performance, it was done to also uplift and enliven the audience for whom it was geared.

U2 didn't write a song for the SB performance----would that have made you happy? Or would that have made you even more likely to say they've sold out to the US?

Who cares that the SB performance was televised? The MOTD performance was in front of how many tens of thousands of people? Same deal. If Chile could produce something like a Super Bowl and televise it in the same way, the band would have performed it then...just the same. Instead, they performed it in front of 30,000 or 80,000 people or however many were at the stadium. AND the performance has been televised. I don't see much of a difference.

Finally, you claim that MOTD has a meaning that the SB performance didn't have. Guess what, dude. If you were an American and saw the show, it had meaning to you. You can't get it....whatever. I'll tell you that much of ATYCLB took on a whole new life for many people. Many people were uplifted by that performance; people I know who think 00s U2 suck say that the performance was huge. Streets and MLK---two songs that don't need to be specifically written for a unique event in order to have an uplifting, meaningful effect on somebody. MLK in front of a couple million people expecting a rock show? That's fucking huge.

So, your reasoning from this post and previous ones on why the SB performance is crap & evidence of U2 "selling out" to the US:

1. They arranged it with the government :huh: :huh:
2. Bono wore a US flag in his jacket (even though he's worn other countries' flags as a jacket before and since)
3. It was advertised and televised. Wow, perhaps so that it could reach people who could benefit from it...?
4. They didn't play a song written about the Super Bowl :huh:
5. People knew about the event before it happened :huh:

Dude, your reasoning is nuts, and it's pretty apparent to most people who read it. If you hate the US, fine. Just quit attaching all of these conspiracy theories to a friggin' peformance. And if you want people to respect how something has meaning to you, then quit repeatedly posting about how something meaningful to them is "bullsh**," etc. Goes both ways, my friend. To return the favor, I've always hated that MOTD clip because right before Bono has to start singing, a woman walks up to speak and he doesn't let her because he has to sing. Looks to me like he cares more about the timing of the song than letting a mother speak. Doesn't feel so nice.

:applaud:

Utoo said:

Who cares that the SB performance was televised? The MOTD performance was in front of how many tens of thousands of people? Same deal.

Actually, I'm pretty sure the Santiago gig WAS televised. That's why we have the pro-shot recording. The tape I have even has commercials. So, there's some more fuel for your fire!!

ponkine said:

Sorry you feel that way. I'm not sure what else to say that Utoo hasn't already said.

I love both the MOTD performance and the Superbowl. Both bring tears to my eyes for different reasons.

Newsflash: U2 is an insanely popular band. EVERYTHING any band does can be seen as marketing, campaigning, and promoting, but that doesn't mean their performances are void of meaning or emotion. The two are not mutually exclusive.

I think honestly U2 has a good way of finding the right song at the right time. There was a whole different mindset in the United States after 9/11...they saw it as a country in healing and yes we were a country in healing at the time. Its the only time I can remember that we were a UNITED States. As for Mothers of the Disappeared, I think that U2 chose a cause that wasn't getting as much attention at the time and brought it to the masses. I firmly believe that any mother losing her son in that fashion would DEMAND justice. I think that alot of people confuse U2 to be a giant charity demanding money and helping causes. But I see U2 as a window, opening people and directing ATTENTION not funds to these causes, so its up to the average person to decide whats to be done. From what I have heard Argentina is reinvestigating these crimes and dictators like Pinochet are being brought to justice. Concerning the Super Bowl I must say that someone very dear to me was lost on 9/11. I was still hurting in Febuary 2002 and seeing an Irishman that could just as well make a small mention and tribute to the attacks turn it into a grand spectacle really made me feel a personal connection with Bono. I thought the flag and the connection he made with the crowd is something that will never be duplicated.

The interesting enough is that is no flash news , that the US gov was happy to see Pinochet and others motherfuckers like him fucking South America , Hell they did bloody support them ........ CIA , All the fuck was behin them

US people who don't know this , or prefer to not know , should take other looks in the behind scenes of the govs , After all the shit doesn't stay alone in Bullet the Blue Sky , or Vietnam or Iraq

J_NP said:
The interesting enough is that is no flash news , that the US gov was happy to see Pinochet and others motherfuckers like him fucking South America , Hell they did bloody support them ........ CIA , All the fuck was behin them

US people who don't know this , or prefer to not know , should take other looks in the behind scenes of the govs , After all the shit doesn't stay alone in Bullet the Blue Sky , or Vietnam or Iraq

No one's arguing that there isn't sketchy stuff behind closed doors in the US gov't. What we are arguing is that this has nothing to do with U2 playing a song.

Back
Top Bottom