Most underrated U2 song still performed today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Searcher

The Fly
A part of me wants to say "All I Want Is You" -- sincere beauty, it's the opposite of Bad. Bad is essential, but AIWIY is just something more...

And another part of me wants to think "Until The End Of The World" I think people still don't know the story behind it... great story, melody and finish.

Um, "Walk On" although it isn't performed much. Every U2 fan agrees that the songs you listed are classics.

An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart. Though it seems to have been dumped again.

I'd go with Until the End of the World. Certainly not underrated among U2 fans, but it's the most general-public unknown song that is also a regular arse kicking U2 Live song. Most others you can name are well known U2 classics among the general populace.

I don't think any song that has been on either of the two Best Of's (or Greatest Hits or whatever) could be anywhere near as underrated as ..........

Rejoice

but that one isn't performed anymore

so Stuck in a Moment

Earnie Shavers said:
I'd go with Until the End of the World. Certainly not underrated among U2 fans, but it's the most general-public unknown song that is also a regular arse kicking U2 Live song. Most others you can name are well known U2 classics among the general populace.

I totally agree, Until the end of the world is one of U2's greatest tracks in my opinion but is basically unknown in the "non U2 fan" world. Should have been a single instead of Whos gonna ride....
Other than that it has to be my almost namesake, an cat dubh

Until the end of the world really started to grow on me when I saw it performed live. It rocks! I agree that the song most probably isn't recognized enough outside the fan community, which is a shame.

Until the end of the World has been played 3 tours in a row and even made the Best Of 1990-2000 album

it's a great, great track
but I don't think it's that much underrated

Well, I guess we're reading the question in different ways. I was specificaly looking at songs that get regular/repeat tour work outs, but are also more under the radar with the general public.

Salome said:
Until the end of the World has been played 3 tours in a row and even made the Best Of 1990-2000 album

it's a great, great track
but I don't think it's that much underrated

I know that its not underrated by U2 fans but its virtually unknown to non U2 fans.
Its difficult to answer the poster's initial question as he lists All I want is you as an example, a song which is beloved to nearly all U2 fans and is one of the most popular amongst non-U2 fans.

the one thing about Until the end .... is that as the only (I think) non single it made a U2 Best Of album

which in some warped way makes it seem to me that it is highly rated
it also means that it is quite well known by non U2 fans
they are the people who buy best of albums

but I agree
the initial post makes it almost impossible to name a song
because no underrated track is still performed
:hmm:

Salome said:
the one thing about Until the end .... is that as the only (I think) non single it made a U2 Best Of album

which in some warped way makes it seem to me that it is highly rated
it also means that it is quite well known by non U2 fans
they are the people who buy best of albums

but I agree
the initial post makes it almost impossible to name a song
because no underrated track is still performed
:hmm:

exactly!!!

Forgot that UTEOFTW was in the greatest hits, so i guess that makes it more well known than I'd thought!!

Salome said:

:huh:

Bad, October, Gone, The Hands That Built America, and The First Time were all never commercial singles either.

Nisse said:

quite right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I dont underatand why it gets slammed, its central to the whole U2 show and is a f@king great song!
In terms of the live show, its almost irreplacable in terms of its sheer ferocity and political meaning.
However Bono's continued friendship with Blair and Bush make it more hypocrital than in the days when he used to call Bush Mark 1 to give him abuse at the white house. How can he sing about the horrors he saw and el salvador when an imperialist power was bombing innocent civillians whilst at the same time supporting the same guys son who is up to very similar shennigans!!!

i'm a relatively new "inteferer" so if this topic has been in another thread before them i apologise.

Electric Co.

An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart - I would like to know who's idea it was to polish of this gem

Running to stand still, or miss sarajevo. I think both songs work better live anyway, but they dont get enough praise in my opinion.

I really don't think Until the End of the World is underrated. It was never released as a single but still became a big rock hit in the US (#4 Modern Rock, #5 Mainstream Rock). To me that says that the song is well known despite no support from U2 (at least as a single, U2 obviously supports it live). And it is still played on rock radio today, more so than any songs on Zooropa or Pop.

An Cat Gav said:

quite right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I dont underatand why it gets slammed, its central to the whole U2 show and is a f@king great song!
In terms of the live show, its almost irreplacable in terms of its sheer ferocity and political meaning.
However Bono's continued friendship with Blair and Bush make it more hypocrital than in the days when he used to call Bush Mark 1 to give him abuse at the white house. How can he sing about the horrors he saw and el salvador when an imperialist power was bombing innocent civillians whilst at the same time supporting the same guys son who is up to very similar shennigans!!!

While I agree that Bullet is a great song and really underrated, I believe that you mistake political activism and the nature of Bono's involvement with politicians with something completely different (and wrong).

Back
Top Bottom