Most underrated songs by album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

derrick_rossign

Acrobat
here's mine

Twilight - Boy
Tomorrow - October
Refugee - War
Promenade - Unforgettable Fire
Exit - Joshua Tree
Van Diemen's Land/Hawkmoon 269 - R&H
Wild Horses (Temple Bar Edit) - Achtung Baby
Wanderer - Zooropa
Gone - Pop
New York - ATYCLB
Love and Peace or Else - HTDAAB

feel free to post your own.

underrated by who?

the band? the fans? the critics? radio? Interference? me?

well, i guess it comes down to songs that i love that i feel don't get talked about a lot by the band, or played, after the tour for the album they were on. So:

Boy -- An Cat Dub/Into The Heart (Yes, I know they played it on Vertigo, but before that!?)
October -- With A Shout
War -- Surrender
The Unforgettable Fire -- Wire
The Joshua Tree -- Red Hill Mining Town
Rattle & Hum -- Hawkmoon 269
Achtung Baby -- So Cruel
Zooropa -- Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
Pop -- Miami
All That You Can't Leave Behind -- Peace On Earth
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb -- One Step Closer (beautiful and powerful and I don't know why it's get lambasted so much on here :scratch: )

Another Time Another Place - Boy
With A Shout - October
Red Light/ Like A Song - War
Indian Summer Sky - UF
In God's Country - JT
Love Rescue Me - RH
So Cruel - Achtung
Numb - Zooropa
Always Forever Now - Passengers
Miami - Pop
Peace On Earth - ATYCLB
Crumbs From Your Table - HTDAAB

FitzChivalry said:
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb -- One Step Closer (beautiful and powerful and I don't know why it's get lambasted so much on here :scratch: )

YES. It's one of the few HTDAAB songs I still find listenable.

As for my own list ... well, since we're not clear on what's meant exactly for under-rated, I'll go with something similar to you: "under-rated live by the band, i.e. the band under-rated its power and tossed out the song way too early".

Boy: Twilight (No performances seince 1984? Come on!)
October: Tomorrow (I just can't believe a song as strong as this has not been played since mid-1983.)
War: Seconds (Seems totally forgotten; I think it'd fit comfortably into any set from the 2000s.)
The Unforgettable Fire: Indian Summer Sky (Just nine performances? I think this one really owned.)
The Joshua Tree: Exit (One of U2's strongest live songs, and it's only been done once since 1987? Insane.)
Rattle And Hum: Heartland (When the live performances of possibly the best song in your catalogue consist of just two snippets, you know something's wrong.)
Achtung Baby: Acrobat (Do I even need to explain?)
Zooropa: Dirty Day (Hey, U2, ten performances are not enough.)
Pop: Last Night On Earth (Leaving this to the past of Popmart is criminal.)
ATYCLB: When I Look At The World (Best song on the album and it's been snippeted - not even played in full - merely once? Incomprehensible.)
HTDAAB: Crumbs From Your Table (I wish they'd spent more time ironing this one out as it deserved a live career far more than crap like SYCMIOYO.)

FitzChivalry said:
underrated by who?

the band? the fans? the critics? radio? Interference? me?

well, i guess it comes down to songs that i love that i feel don't get talked about a lot by the band, or played, after the tour for the album they were on. So:

Boy -- An Cat Dub/Into The Heart (Yes, I know they played it on Vertigo, but before that!?)
October -- With A Shout
War -- Surrender
The Unforgettable Fire -- Wire
The Joshua Tree -- Red Hill Mining Town
Rattle & Hum -- Hawkmoon 269
Achtung Baby -- So Cruel
Zooropa -- Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
Pop -- Miami
All That You Can't Leave Behind -- Peace On Earth

Wow, I totally agree with this list! But I also love Indian Summer Skies off of UF and Rejoice off of October. I really love Hawkmook 269!

FitzChivalry said:

cause it sucks donkey ass :tsk:

Axver said:

October: Tomorrow (I just can't believe a song as strong as this has not been played since mid-1983.)

It would be interesting if they paired this with SYCMIOYO, since both songs are about Bono's parents. Oh wait, I know why they haven't--because they'd realize Tomorrow pwns Sometimes. Sometimes was moving the first time or two I heard it live, but I don't think it was strong enough to be in the set every night. I'd love to hear a pairing of Kite and Tomorrow, too.

Boy: Stories for Boys
October: Tomorrow
War: Two Hearts Beat As One
UF: Elvis Presley and America (this song gets so short-changed around here. I'd never want to hear it live, but it's so dark and moody and exactly right in its matching of lyrics and music)
JT: One Tree Hill (I almost said In God's Country, but I think it's too earnest of a song for the band to be able to pull off now live)
RH: God Part II
AB: I wish they'd just come out and say why they haven't ever played Acrobat.
Zooropa: Zooropa
Pop: I have to agree with Axver on LNOE. It's too rocking of a song to have just disappeared
ATYCLB: I think I'm the only person in the whole world who actually likes In A Little While, but I think I like it enough for at least several people :wink:
HTDAAB: Crumbs was one of my favorite songs when the album first came out. I think it would've worked live had they slowed it down just a little. I have a hunch it will come back, if only because of its theme.

I can't just vote for one song in some albums, so...

Boy: Shadows And Tall Trees / Twilight
October (the whole album is highly underrated, but...): Scarlet / I Fall Down
War: Refugee
TUF: Promenade / 4th Of July / Indian Summer Sky
JT: In God's Country
R&H: Love Rescue Me / Angel Of Harlem / When Love Comes To Town
AB: Even Better Than The Real Thing / Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Zooropa: Babyface / Numb / Lemon
Pop: The Playboy Mansion / Staring At The Sun / Do You Feel Loved
ATYCLB: Stuck In A Moment / Grace
HTDAAB: Yahweh / One Step Closer / All Because Of You

Boy- Another time, Another place
October- Stranger in A Strangeland
War- The Refugee
Unforgettable Fire- Indian Summer Sky
Joshua Tree- Exit
Rattle and Hum- Hawkmoon 269/ God Part II
Achtung Baby- So Cruel...acrobat wasnt played b/c of the odd guitar timing although i think they could work it out
Zooropa- Babyface
Pop- If You Wear That Velvet Dress / Do You Feel Loved
ATYCLB- New York/ When I Look At The World
HTDAAB- Miracle Drug/ Yahweh/ Man and A Woman

Boy= Twilight

October=October

War= Two Hearts Beat As One

UF=Wire

JT= Mother's of the Disappeared

R&H= When Love Comes To Town

Achtung Baby=Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World

Zooropa= Dirty Day

Pop=Do You Feel Loved

ATYCLB=In a Little While

HTDAAB= All Because of You

xaviMF22 said:

and to argue

the song is slow..boring..repetitive..and DULL.. :wink:

no. repetitive is Gwen Stefani singing (an ruining an otherwise perfect pop-rock song), "A simple kind of life . . . A simple kind of life . . . A simple kind of life . . . A simple kind of life . . . simple kind of life . . . . simple kind of life . . . A simple kind of life . . . " 85 x before it finally fades out!!!!!

Now that's repetitive!

Boy: Stories For Boys
October: I Threw A Brick Through A Window
War: Like A Song...
TUF: Indian Summer Sky
JT: In God's Country / Red Hill Mining Town
R&H: Love Rescue Me
AB: So Cruel
Zooropa: Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car / Babyface
Pop: Do You Feel Loved
ATYCLB: When I Look At The World
HTDAAB: Crumbs From Your Table / Miracle Drug

Boy: An Cat dubh/Into the heart (I like how efortless they are connected - nice foreshadowing of their quieter moments)
October: Rejoice (nice riff, and drumming)
War: Drowning man (beautiful song that starkly contrasts the otherwise militaristic beats on that album)
UF: Promenade (why is this such a short song ? it's dreamy)
JT: Red hill mining town (even Bono can't do the vocals justice live, and this would-be single doesn't get enough credit)
R&H : Heartland (one of those hidden album gems)
AB: So cruel (like a mini-opera, my favourite song, probably)
Zooropa: First time (see Heartland)
Pop: If you wear that velvet dress (everyone talks about Please/Gone/SATS, but again, see Heartland comments. would be even better if it wasn't for the pervy vocals)
ATYCLB: Kite (people always hype Stuck/BD/Walk on. next to UTEOTW and Gone, the 3rd U2 song that got Ripped Off for not being a single)
HTDAAB: One step closer (the other Bob Hewson ballad, sometimes U2 is not about big anthems or bittersweet love song)

LP 12: Mercy :wink:

U2girl said:
Pop: If you wear that velvet dress (everyone talks about Please/Gone/SATS, but again, see Heartland comments. would be even better if it wasn't for the pervy vocals)

I agree with a lot of your choices like Rejoice, So Cruel, Promenade and even Velvet Dress but that comment ^ I don't understand. Why does it come off as pervy to you? He uses the low register of his voice in such an amazing way on the album! The song is the equivalent of the smoothest whiskey! I thought the over-the-top Jools Holland version sucked in comparison.

Because of the annoying, barely audible whispering. AB had effective low register and whispering. Here I just picture a dirty old man, looking for underage girls. Maybe it's because how his voice weakened compared to the other whisper album above. I really like the music (my favourite Edge solo), and I wish the voice would be more like the Jools Holland version which was also interesting musically. (even if he overdoes it at certain moments)

:shrug:

1. Boy-A Day Without Me
2. October-Tomorrow
3. War-Like A Song
4. The Unforgettable Fire-Wire
5. Joshua Tree-Exit
6. Rattle and Hum-Love Resue Me
7. Achtung Baby-Zoo Station
8. Zooropa-Babyface
9. Pop-Wake Up Dead Man
10 ATYCLB-Grace
11. HTDAAB-A Man and a Woman