Most under/over-rated U2 songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

di_g

The Fly
just wondering what everyones views are in terms of U2 songs that are either very underrated and not recognised for their true greatness or totally overrated (if there is such a thing as an overrated U2 song?)

any thoughts?

I don't know about overrated, but overplayed, live and radio are :

Pride
With Or Without You
Mysterious Ways
Beautiful Day

Underrated are : (with non-U2 fans)
Wire
Running To Stand Still
God Part II
The Fly
The entire Zooropa album
Gone
Please

Underrated:
Like A Song
Hawkmoon 269
Twilight
The Playboy Mansion
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Elvis Presley And America
God Part II

Overrated:
Acrobat (It's a good song and it has a great solo but just because it has never been played before people hype it like crazy, it's not that good)
Red Hill Mining Town (Same thing as Acrobat)

overrated:
with or without you
bullet the blue sky
one (great song dont get me wrong, but i dont think its U2's best like i hear many people say)
sunday bloody sunday

underrated:
gone
babyface
elevation
last night on earth
running to stand still

With this list, "under-rated" means to me that I think they should have been released as singles and gotten radio play.

KITE
RUNNING TO STAND STILL (big time)
ACROBAT

overrated:
all of ATYCLB except Walk On and Kite

underrated:
Ultra Violet-Acrobat-Love is Blindness
Tomorrow
Dirty Day
Like a Song
Heartland
Exit
Do You Feel Loved
Hawkmoon 269

under - Kite (especially after that Slane performance. if you failed to hear its beauty by that point, then you fail to hear Bono singing his heart out.)

over - Stuck (U2 going all Boyband wasn't really that great of a single. its an okay track, but think they had better options for a single than this one. In a Little While was one of them.)

I could probably do this for each album, but I decided to stick with the most recent one.

I'm tired of defending Grace in these forum's, the most underrated by a country mile
Comfortably most overrated is Bullet
Album's wise Pop's obviously underrated and I know I'm going to get abuse for this but the Unforgettable Fire was a step backwards and feel's very uncomfortable in the company of it's predeccessor and it's successor.

OVERRATED
Beautiful Day

UNDERRATED
Please
Gone
Zooropa
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Electrical Storm (don't understand why it wasn't a bigger hit)
Hawkmoon
and tons more

Overplayed
Streets- I am soooooooo sick of hearing this song
NYD- whilst war is my favourtie album, I am sick of this song as I believe that there are other songs from this masterpiece that should be given their time in the sun
I will follow- I feel the same way about this song as I do with NYD

Underplayed.....Underrated
In God's Country- this is a great song for radio- great sequence, harmonies, lyrics and its not that long...and it should be played live too...
Gone
The unforgettable fire- now this song was a single and it very rarely ever gets played on radio and it is such a popular song and it never gets played live- whats with that:scratch:

My Underrated songs include:

'please'- (the single vesrion at that because it was way better than the album version and shouldve made the cut, so the band underratted it too :wink: )

'the ground beneath her feet'- i never heard it once on the radio until sometime in 2003. one of my favs. lovely, strong and brilliant.

'satellite of love'- didnt make the best of 90-00 b-sides, yet it was probably one of their best covers yet. i really dig the end of song when it picks up.

Overrated

- Ultra Violet (Light My Way)
- Ninties U2

Underrated

- Twilight
- ALL of October
- Like A Song ...
- Drowning Man
- Surrender
- ALL of The Unforgettable Fire, notably 4th Of July, Indian Summer Sky, and Elvis Presley And America
- Hawkmoon 269
- God Part II
- Eighties U2

Never could be overrated

- 11 O'clock Tick Tock
- Gloria
- New Year's Day
- A Sort Of Homecoming
- The Unforgettable Fire
- Promenade --> 4th Of July --> Bad
- Where The Streets Have No Name
- One Tree Hill
- Hawkmoon 269
- God Part II
- Last Night On Earth
- Gone
- Please
- Wake Up Dead Man

Get the hint?

(Oh, and for the record, I'm not some eighties holdover who wishes Achtung Baby would be blown off the face of the earth. I wasn't even born until 1987. I just feel Eighties U2 made the best music, and while I LOVE what they did in the ninties, they never should have changed.)

Last edited:
Most under-rated imo - 'Heartland' (but im glad cos I feel that's a song for the die-hards!)

Most overplayed (but in no way over-rated) - 'Sweetest Thing' and 'ISHFWILF'

Most over-rated - 'Elevation'

Overrated:
Elevation
Desire

Underrated:
A Sort of Homecoming
One Tree Hill
Running To Stand Still
Mothers of the Disappeared
Last Night on Earth
Gone
Please

Overplayed (but not overrated):
Beautiful Day
ISHFWILF
Pride

Last edited:
Overrated:

Please
Gone
Mysterious Ways
Elevation

Underrated:

Grace
So Cruel
Babyface

Cheers,

J

Overrated: Very few, but...
- I think Stuck is among them (like someone already said, there were way better single options on ATYCLB, and certainly more songs to be played constantly on the radio)
- Among fans, I also think the R&H version of ISHFWILF is overrated as well. I think the original's better.

Underrated: Well, the list goes on forever, but...
- Wire, definitely
- Please, even more definitely
- the entirety of Zooropa, most specifically, well, Zooropa
- Exit
- Running to Stand Still
- If God Will Send His Angels

There are more, but I guess I'll stop... :happy:

Overplayed: Gah.
- With or Without You (not overrated by any means, but way, way, WAY too overplayed)
- Sunday Bloody Sunday (when Bono's sick of it, you know it's time to give it a rest)
- Pride (slightly overrated - more of UF was better)
- The Sweetest Thing (never one of my favorite songs)

Underplayed (if not underrated):
- Stay. Why doesn't this song get more airtime?
- Bad. Why don't THIS song get more airtime??
- Walk On. Same question applies.

underated:

In God's Country- even though alot of it's lyrics are/seem to be sad etc The Music is soooo expansive sounding {Edge's gutair essential florishes*wow}that it brings back my trips to the High Desert of Arizona/New Mexico. Extroidinary places!

And it makes me feel like I'm traveling there again even if I'm just sitting in a chair and not even walking on the sidewalks of NYC on a goreous spring/dry summer day.

The Three Sunrises- It has both the soaring harmonmies, lyrical music, and both lyrical bell-tones from The Edge, as well as some harder stuttering and rip-stop sounds as well. Sooooo joyous and {that word again} expansive!

I don't know exactly if Drowning Man & Surrender ARE underated-- but if they are I'd agree.

Same with Zooropa- the song. Such a great aural atmosphere!

overdone:

For me....I'd never thought I'd ever get tired of hearing "Streets" but I have in the past 5 years.
Though I still get a kick seeing/hearing the Rooftop Live version.

Last edited:
MOST OVER-RATED- Bullet the blue sky. I find it unlistenable.

MOST UNDER-RATED- When I look at the world. Great fucking song.

hmmm, i posted this so i suppose i should have some thoughts on it

underrated - stay, unforgettable fire, kite, zooropa as a whole album, bad, out of control (i love that) and acrobat too.

adn the reason i posted this thread-
overrated - one.
i like it but i dont nearly think its their best song. i get into this argument a lot but most of the time when i ask the people who say its the best song how many albums they actually own the answer is normamly like 1 or 2. how you can you argue with me over the best song when you only know 20 of them! really winds me up, but everyone gets their opinion i suppose

also over-rated (and i think i'll get shot for this)... numb!
i see why every like it, i just dont though. sorry
the video does rock though. and stuck in a moment and love comes to town,

Good question! Hmm...

Overrated...
Sweetest Thing
Streets
(you're gonna kill me) 40
Vertigo (great, but not the best on the album)
Stuck In A Moment
New Year's Day (maybe I've just listened to it too much)

Underrated...
So Cruel
Lemon
Wild Horses
Slug (Passengers had some awesome stuff)
Angel of Harlem (major coolness)
the entirety of Pop (what's wrong with it?)
Love Rescue Me

Aaaaand I have to go. Those were the things that first came to mind

Back
Top Bottom