Most top-heavy album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Remixes of U2 music rarely ever work....the only one I have liked in the past is the Desire Hollywood mix that is a nice one.

October and All That You Can't Leave Behind.

BOY-consistent, same throughout

October-Scarlet sucks!!What's good about song that has 2 words? Last half isn't that good.

War-Even it has red light and refugee it's still good rock album

UF-i can't forgive Indian Summer sky and EPAA so first half is much much better

JT-pure perfection except TTYW(Trip):mad:

R&H-When love comes to town and Love rescue me are in the last half with Heartland and God part II
We have a tie.

AB-Achtung BABY!!If you're a human you have to listen to it BECAUSE IT'S PERFECT

Zooropa-tie, Babyface and The First time kill both halfs

Pop-last half is weaker because of If you wear and Playboy mansion

ATYCLB-good all the time, not great or unforgettable but solid.
If Keane made this kind of album it would be their best, but not U2

HUT DAB-First half is just perfect so it's better than last half
(i divided it 6-5)

Axver said:

You've got to be kidding! The Junk Day mix is good and Bitter Kiss makes the album version look mediocre. They're two of only five remixes I like. Though the live Dirty Day puts any studio version to shame.

Would I kid you, Axver? :wink:

In all seriousness, I hate the Junk remix. Ugh. But you are absolutely right when you say Dirty Day live is far and away better than any studio version.

Most of U2's albums stumble towards the finish line. For all of the fantastic things the band does right, they do not properly arrange their albums. They're all top heavy, or front heavy, or whatever you want to call it.

Achtung Baby is their only perfectly arranged album.

:bow: :bow: :bow: Achtung Baby

-Migdilio

Last edited:
Miggy D said:
Most of U2's albums stumble towards the finish line. For all of the fantastic things the band does right, they do not properly arrange their albums. They're all top heavy, or front heavy, or whatever you want to call it.

-Migdilio

Interesting observation, although I would argue that The Joshua Tree is arranged very well also.

It's even more intriguing when you compare how U2 sequences their albums vs. other artists. I'll bring up my favorite example, Bruce Springsteen. Look at his Born In The U.S.A. album. It ENDS with four top ten hits. And while the title track starts the whole album off, I'd say this is a perfect example of a bottom-heavy disc and how the sequencing is very different to most of U2's works.

phanan said:

Interesting observation, although I would argue that The Joshua Tree is arranged very well also.

It's even more intriguing when you compare how U2 sequences their albums vs. other artists. I'll bring up my favorite example, Bruce Springsteen. Look at his Born In The U.S.A. album. It ENDS with four top ten hits. And while the title track starts the whole album off, I'd say this is a perfect example of a bottom-heavy disc and how the sequencing is very different to most of U2's works.

Well, it is very rare for ANY band to put the best tracks at the end. The vast majority of albums are top heavy, unless they are consistently good from start to finish. Examples like Born in the U.S.A. are the exception to the rule.

How many albums can you think of where the hit singles are in the second half of the album? Not many.

I don't get why they always put the massive hit singles on the first half of a record...always makes the remaining side seem like a bunch of throwaways in some cases.

anyone fancy sending me the Bitter Kiss remix of 'Dirty Day'??

okcomputer@gmail.com

please?

drt4 said:

Well, it is very rare for ANY band to put the best tracks at the end. The vast majority of albums are top heavy, unless they are consistently good from start to finish. Examples like Born in the U.S.A. are the exception to the rule.

How many albums can you think of where the hit singles are in the second half of the album? Not many.

I can think of quite a few. Most are classic albums that are great from start to finish, but the biggest hits were in fact on the second side. Here are some off the top of my head:

AC/DC - Back In Black (the title cut and You Shook Me All Night Long start the second side)

The Police - Synchronicity (three massive hits to start side two - Every Breath You Take, King Of Pain, Wrapped Around Your Finger)

Michael Jackson - Thriller (granted, this album was full of singles, but the biggest ones by far started side two, Beat It and Billie Jean)

Prince - Purple Rain (had When Doves Cry and the title track on the second side, although Let's Go Crazy started the whole thing off)

Creed - Human Clay (With Arms Wide Open and Higher are on the second side if I recall)

and most Springsteen albums

However, you are correct. These are exceptions. Most albums indeed have the major hit singles on the first side.

Miggy D said:

-Migdilio

I agree with you on most of it. But I think that , apart from AB, JT and War are nicely arranged too.

Back
Top Bottom