Most overrated U2 album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What do you think is the most overrated U2 album?

• Boy

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • October

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • War

Votes: 10 9.8%
  • UABRS

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Unforgettable Fire

• Joshua Tree

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • Rattle and Hum

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • Achtung Baby

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Zooropa

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Passengers

• Pop

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • All That You Can't Leave Behind

Votes: 40 39.2%

• Total voters

SkeeK

The Original, Rock n' Roll Doggie, VIP PASS
Following in my tradition of no-brainer, uncreative posts, I present the uninteresting and cliched "Most overrated U2 album"

Discuss. ...or just shoot me now

Last edited:
bang bang!

lol.

Actually that question is harder to answer than it sounds.

*goes away to think*

I'm thinking my next topic will be "what is your favourite album besides Achtung Baby?"

genius huh?

This was an easy poll. Without doubt, everyone should answer JT. There, I said it. :tongue:

I don't want this to turn into some silly "are you nuts, JT is great" thread, because I do like JT very much. It's just that I feel it is grossly over-rated.

Are you kidding me with this question? This is hard ... It's like making a mother decide which of her children she likes best.

I would say Under a Blood Red Sky ...

I had to settle for ATYCLB. NOT because it isn't a good album, but because when running through all the other albums and mentally comparing how well they are generally "rated" in the public eye vs. how good they actually are, many of them go in the opposite direction and are UNDERrated. I initially thought I'd have to go with JT, but quite honestly, I couldn't see how one could say too much GOOD about that one. ;) So there you have it. sula's convoluted rationale. :p

Doctorwho - why do you think TJT is overrated ? TJT is clearly the best U2 album - a good 2 and half feet above AB or All that or UF or Boy in all departments - lyrics, music , and message

Here is my views on main U2 albums

BOY - ok ( not over not under )
OCTOBER - underrated
War - ok
UF- ok
TJT - ok
RH - slightly overrated
AB - overrated
Zooropa - ok ( Got what it deserved )
Pop - ok ( a bit underrated)
All that - overrated

AcrobatMan said:
TJT is clearly the best U2 album - a good 2 and half feet above AB .... in all departments - lyrics, music , and message

:lol: that's a funny joke! :D

ATYCLB

Just not my cup of tea. I'm left scratching my head as reviewers compare it to The Joshua Tree and other earlier works.

It's definitely it's own album - in that it sounds like 50% adult contemporary radio music.

I chose based on how sula did it, and came up with the same result.

And when I said no-brainer, i didn't mean it would be easy to answer, just that it was a very unoriginal idea for a topic on my part. but i'm saving my good ideas for my english project.

hubba hubba!

I can see how some very silly persons ;) would choose ATYCLB as being over-rated. After all, it did win 7 Grammy awards. :D However, when people think of U2, they aren't thinking of ATYCLB - and this reason alone is why I simply could not choose ATYCLB.

The reason I feel JT is SO over-rated is that in every single "Top 50" album poll, there's JT sitting near the top. I'm thrilled to see U2 in this group, but I'd rather see AB or ATYCLB or "War" as the album, not JT.

JT continues to receive tons of praise and I don't understand why. It contains the worst song U2 ever wrote ("Trip..."). Additionally, Edge overuses that echo effect; Bono's vocals are great - but a bit too operatic; there are no outstanding bass hooks; the lyrics are at times very simple (people complain about songs like "Grace" but c'mon: "with or without you, I can't live with or without you" - talk about your cliches...); and most irritating of all is that U2 come across so serious on that album.

In contrast, with ATYCLB, U2, especially Bono, are wearing that same heart on their sleeves, but this time they are far more approachable. When I listen to ATYCLB, I hear a man I can relate to - not some preacher, like I do on JT. Here's someone singing from optimistic experience, not crushed dreams.

Therefore, as brilliant as JT is, I feel it over-rated. And I wish to stress that my criticisms above are why I feel it's over-rated, not to say that I think it is a poor album.

DoctorWho -

I am curious to know how old you were when JT was released.

Part of the reason it is acclaimed by so many as being a fantastic album is the context in which it came to us.

If you were younger than 12 years old in 1987, then I can see why you might not think JT is as fantastic as it is. You wouldn't understand the context. You also wouldn't truly understand where U2 was as a band in 1987 - socially, spiritually and politically. There's a reason they seemed unapproachable back then - not that it has any bearing on how good the album is.

I'm not trying to criticize you - and if you were "of age" when JT was released and still don't care for it all that much, that's fine - you are entitled to your opinion.

So out of curiousity, how old were you when it was released?

I was 17 and it had a huge impact on me - and I was and am a huge music fan of many genres.

Re: hubba hubba!

doctorwho said:
I can see how some very silly persons ;) would choose ATYCLB as being over-rated. After all, it did win 7 Grammy awards. :D However, when people think of U2, they aren't thinking of ATYCLB - and this reason alone is why I simply could not choose ATYCLB.

The reason I feel JT is SO over-rated is that in every single "Top 50" album poll, there's JT sitting near the top. I'm thrilled to see U2 in this group, but I'd rather see AB or ATYCLB or "War" as the album, not JT.

JT continues to receive tons of praise and I don't understand why. It contains the worst song U2 ever wrote ("Trip..."). Additionally, Edge overuses that echo effect; Bono's vocals are great - but a bit too operatic; there are no outstanding bass hooks; the lyrics are at times very simple (people complain about songs like "Grace" but c'mon: "with or without you, I can't live with or without you" - talk about your cliches...); and most irritating of all is that U2 come across so serious on that album.

In contrast, with ATYCLB, U2, especially Bono, are wearing that same heart on their sleeves, but this time they are far more approachable. When I listen to ATYCLB, I hear a man I can relate to - not some preacher, like I do on JT. Here's someone singing from optimistic experience, not crushed dreams.

Therefore, as brilliant as JT is, I feel it over-rated. And I wish to stress that my criticisms above are why I feel it's over-rated, not to say that I think it is a poor album.

Joshua Tree is God!!!
Trip is NOT the worse u2 song. Its just the placement on that album is bad. It would have been better on R&H.

It has WOWY and Streets. Running...and Red Hill...
That alone means that it is not over-rated.
It is was underrated. In most top 50 lists it barely breaks the top 10. It is better than The Bends or Revolver in my opinion.

Most over-rated album is ATYCLB
Its a pretty great album but not as good as previous ones which didn't win 7 grammies!

And whoever said Pop was over-rated...where the hell did that come from. Pop was dispised!!

doctor who - aprt from trip each song is better than all songs in
AB minus one and UTEOTW...i hope u understand...in AB for me
only 3 song stands out ONE, UTEOTW and Acrobat... but in JT everysong minus trip is masterpiece..try listening to TJT again today and may be u would change ur mind.. :) TJT is definitely the best U2 album and a prime contendor for one of the best ever..

someone said he/she doesnot like BULLET...what can u say when it comes to that.

we have done this before havent we ?

sheek - how did u make the poll, i am too stupid to find the correct button..but then i havent got my specs today

It's difficult to pick an "overrated" U2 album...I mean, I routinely listen and enjoy all of their albums, especially the early stuff. With that said and being forced to select one album as "overrated" I would have to go with UF. Probably the only U2 album that I enjoy...but don't love.

UF is a transitional album for the band that produced a resounding radio hit with Pride and a terrific arena rock, U2 concert classic in Bad. The title track is good, but songs like "Promenade" "Elvis Presley and America" and "Indian Summer Sky" are mediocre. I just think that UF gets more kudos than it deserves based on the emergence of Pride as a radio hit. In other words, U2 was largely unknown to U.S. radio listeners until that song came out...Pride sort of "introduced" U2 to the masses here in the States...yet the album itself was (possibly still is) hailed by many as a "great" album because of the success of Pride and to a lesser commercial extent, Bad. In my opinion, those are really the only two legitimate songs on the entire album with the possible exception of the title track and Homecoming. The rest of the album is more conceptual in nature and experimental due to the Eno/Lanois team working with the boys for the first time. It is for these reasons I just feel UF is a little overrated...but I still enjoy it and appreciate it's work nonetheless!

Also, Doctorwho mentioned "Trip...Wires" as the worst U2 song ever written. I tend to disagree with that assessment personally. It's not that Doctorwho is wrong at all...I just think that other songs are more worthy as being the worst U2 song ever recorded...such as "Elvis Presley and America" "Refugee" "Is That All?" and "Some Days are Better Than Others". But...this is another topic and debate for another day...or thread!

P.S. This is my first post in over 5 1/2 months...it's good to chime in again! ---Like Someone

omg, i didn't even read the post, I just wanted to say... :eek:

LIKE SOMEONE...where the heck have ya been???? :D:D

Tax season over yet?

sulawesigirl4 said:
omg, i didn't even read the post, I just wanted to say... :eek:

LIKE SOMEONE...where the heck have ya been???? :D:D

Tax season over yet?

Technically, yes, tax season is over but in reality it's NEVER OVER for us tax accountants!

I just needed some time to "recharge" the discussion forum batteries again...so I'm looking forward to contributing my 2 cents here again on a more regular basis...starting today!

In response to the forum member who mentioned in this thread that "Trip" would have fit better on Rattle and Hum I just have to say.....Amen, brother (or sister!

well, it's nice to have you back. Check your private message inbox. ;) I think you have mail. :D

It's all a matter of when you became a fan.

Context is huge.

If you became a fan in the post-AB years, you aren't going to fully understand how powerful JT is/was.

You might still really like the album, but it won't have the same effect on you that it did if you were between the ages of 14-22 when you first heard it.

I consider myself fortunate to be 32 years old because I was at just the right age to really appreciate U2s finest work.

WAR - 13
UF - 15
JT - almost 17
AB - 21

Pretty great years to be totally immersed in U2

UF is a transitional album for the band that produced a resounding radio hit with Pride and a terrific arena rock, U2 concert classic in Bad. The title track is good, but songs like "Promenade" "Elvis Presley and America" and "Indian Summer Sky" are mediocre. I just think that UF gets more kudos than it deserves based on the emergence of Pride as a radio hit. In other words, U2 was largely unknown to U.S. radio listeners until that song came out...Pride sort of "introduced" U2 to the masses here in the States...yet the album itself was (possibly still is) hailed by many as a "great" album because of the success of Pride and to a lesser commercial extent, Bad. In my opinion, those are really the only two legitimate songs on the entire album with the possible exception of the title track and Homecoming. The rest of the album is more conceptual in nature and experimental due to the Eno/Lanois team working with the boys for the first time. It is for these reasons I just feel UF is a little overrated...but I still enjoy it and appreciate it's work nonetheless!

I completely, completely agree, I think that UF gets propped up so much because of the presence of "Pride." I have seriously listened to each U2 album, one after the other in order to get a feel for where the band was coming from and where they were going, and after that experiment I put my very favorites into a super regular rotation. UF didn't make that cut because it just doesn't stick with me the way "Boy," "October," "Joshua Tree," "Rattle & Hum," "Achtung Baby," "Zooropa," "Pop" and "ATUCLB" have. The real strength of an album lies with the songs that weren't released as singles, and on UF they just don't stand up that well, don't really make it worthwhile to me to listen to the entire thing. On the other hand, I could listen to any track from any of the other U2 albums I listed and dig them all, regardless of if they were singles or not.
I do have a great appreciation for UF because it did push U2 to the forefront in America and it laid the groundwork for "Joshua Tree."

I voted for Rattle and Hum because I think that people were expecting too much from the album and the message they put out was misinterpreted. I loveveral songs but as a group of songs it is probably my least favorite "album"

like I said
Pop was never loved by anyone outside the hardcore fan circle

zooropa is anything but over-rated.
great unique piece of work there

One Tree Still said:
ATYCLB

Just not my cup of tea. I'm left scratching my head as reviewers compare it to The Joshua Tree and other earlier works.

It's definitely it's own album - in that it sounds like 50% adult contemporary radio music.

These are my thoughts exactly- I have always thought that this album sounds very 'adult contemporary/easy listening' now I like this album (even though to this day I still dont own a legit copy of it- I have a few singles and mp3s) but it just hasnt completely won me over yet and when I look at the back catalogue of music, well to me it is clearly a bit lacking and I think very overated:)

*follower comes from the shadows and looks around...where are the POP haters?*

No, please, don?t shoot me! :D

Gotta go with ATYCLB as the most overrated. But I love it. ;)

Back
Top Bottom