Most overrated U2 album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What do you think is the most overrated U2 album?

• Boy

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • October

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • War

Votes: 10 9.8%
  • UABRS

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Unforgettable Fire

• Joshua Tree

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • Rattle and Hum

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • Achtung Baby

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Zooropa

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Passengers

• Pop

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • All That You Can't Leave Behind

Votes: 40 39.2%

• Total voters
how could anyone choose POP??

I picked R&H on this one. It was number one for about 6 weeks, sold 6 million copies in the U.S. and is thought by most of the public/fairweather U2 fans as one of the few classic records that U2 had. BULLLLLLLL !!!!!! And everyone here knows that. To think that this album was almost as succesful as AB, and more successful (sales-wise) than any of their post AB releases, makes my stomach turn. To me it is U2 at their least "U2ishness" and is overall a mediocre album with a couple of highlight tracks (Heartland, All I Want...)

POP was panned by critics, shunned by record buyers, and given little respect by even pretty solid fans. I LOVE this record - no way in hell was it over-rated.

As for the JT being over-rated debate. I tend to disagree. While I think AB is the superior album, I do think that JT should be in the top ten of every top 50 list ever done. I just think that AB should be in the Top 5 of every top 50 list! :)

I just think it's a shame that JT overshadows the complete greatness and shere brilliance of AB. Like I said JT deserves the praise that it gets, But for some odd reason the critics and even the public don't want to see two U2 records in the top 10 on their lists. They seem fine with putting two or three beatles records near the top, but that's life guess.

ATYCLB, hands down. I like it, but I honestly don't see how anyone could put it on the same level as JT and AB, which a lot of critics and fans seem to be doing. I don't think it comes within a mile of either of those albums, or within a mile of either War or UF for that matter. I agree with the earlier posters who said it sounds just a little too "adult contemporary." It might be good adult contemporay music, but I want U2 to be daring, be passionate, be interesting, to ROCK!

Basstrap said:
like I said
Pop was never loved by anyone outside the hardcore fan circle

I just recently had the updated version of Niall Stokes's Into the Heart out from the library--I own the version up to and including Zooropa and Passengers, but this one goes up to ATYCLB--and according to him it was "their most highly acclaimed album ever." I really don't think that's true, and that opinion doesn't have a whole lot to do with the fact that I don't like Pop very much. However, though I enjoy that book it irritates me as well in that he disses some of my favourite U2 songs, including Another Time, Another Place, Rejoice, and Like a Song, for no very good reasons, and he refuses to say one single tiny little bad thing about any of their 90's work. Since he's pretty critical in some places, I find it hard to believe that he could love every single note of the 90's work, without even one second of dislike, as he seems to...but who knows.

To add to what someone else said, Pop certainly was not panned by critics when it came out. This is a myth that has grown up since. I read one review which said, no lie, that it was U2's "first great album." I think that even most people who really love Pop wouldn't say that. I saw a lot of four star reviews, even though when you read them, you discovered that in some cases they were two-and-a-half to three-and-a-half reviews--the reviewers just didn't want to give less than four to U2. The critical backlash came later. I think that it started with the first show of the tour, which apparently was severely under-rehearsed and disappointed a fair number of people. However, friends of mine went to the second show--I think that was San Diego? and they really enjoyed it.

Last edited:
scatteroflight said:

To add to what someone else said, Pop certainly was not panned by critics when it came out. This is a myth that has grown up since. I read one review which said, no lie, that it was U2's "first great album." I think that even most people who really love Pop wouldn't say that. I saw a lot of four star reviews, even though when you read them, you discovered that in some cases they were two-and-a-half to three-and-a-half reviews--the reviewers just didn't want to give less than four to U2. The critical backlash came later. I think that it started with the first show of the tour, which apparently was severely under-rehearsed and disappointed a fair number of people. However, friends of mine went to the second show--I think that was San Diego? and they really enjoyed it.

Yeah, I remember that...That's exactly right. MTV was U2 mania leading up to the Popmart Tour and the album...They played U2 A-Z all day long when Discotheque premiered...And then it seemed like shortly after that there wasn't so much U2 on MTV, not at all...You know, I hadn't even seen the other music videos from that album until a couple of months ago, when I was able to acquire them on tape!

And it seems like in just the last couple of years the Popmart TOUR has gotten a LOT of flack. It's pretty much been labeled the "lemon" of the band's career, yet it was one of the biggest tours here in the USA in the summer of 1997!

So overall, imho (and as someone else here stated), there's no way in hell that Pop is overrated!

I think Sula, One Tree Still and OzAurora summed it up nicely on the reasons why All That You Can't Leave Behind is the must overrated U2 album; and I do like the album, but not as much when the newness of it wore off, while with every other U2 album I've grown to love them more and more over time, with the exception of perhaps Rattle & Hum

and maybe hardcore fans among us feel that Pop or Zooropa are overrated, but neither is highly rated by casual fans

Bono's shades said:
ATYCLB, hands down. I like it, but I honestly don't see how anyone could put it on the same level as JT and AB, which a lot of critics and fans seem to be doing. I don't think it comes within a mile of either of those albums, or within a mile of either War or UF for that matter. I agree with the earlier posters who said it sounds just a little too "adult contemporary." It might be good adult contemporay music, but I want U2 to be daring, be passionate, be interesting, to ROCK!

I agree with everything you said here, haven't listened to ATYCLB in months, probably listened to it less than ten times since I bought it. It does have some good ideas in it but I just don't find it that interesting, just not as as "dangerous" and exciting as other U2 albums. Part of the reason I was so dissapointed with ATYCLB is that I started liking U2 in the 90s, around the time of AB and Zoo tv. I was 17 when Discotheque came out and I've always been a fan of the more experimental U2. ATYCLB just sounds too mainstream and "easy-listening" for me. I still don't understand why critics are putting it up there with JT and AB....

Someone asked me if I was under 12 when JT came out.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL! :lol:

Apparently, you must be a newbie. :sexywink:

Also, PLEASE don't give me this nonsence about listening to the album again. :madspit: This is not a "DoctorWho hates JT" thread, for that is simply not true. I think JT is an exceptionally strong album. I thought I stated this very clearly when I posted it before, but I guess some people, in their anxiety to reply, missed it.

I listed reasons why I felt JT is over-rated, not why I do not like it. In my mind, JT is STILL the best album released in 1987, one of the best albums released on the 80's and one of the best albums released of all times. However, I just don't feel it is one of U2's best (that is, if I were to "grade" it, I'd give it an A-/B+ instead of an A) and I'm tired of hearing about it.

What makes something over-rated? It's an item that you hear about constantly that you don't think merits the attention. Well, that holds true for JT for me. Every time a casual fan mentions U2, there's JT in the conversation. Every time I see a top album poll, there's JT. And since I just don't think JT is *that* great of an album - as compared to other U2 albums - I've grown tired of constantly hearing this album praised. Hence, this is why I feel it is over-rated.

To reiterate - don't tell me to relisten to the album. I've heard it plenty. This isn't about trying to convince me that JT is a good album. I already think that. I just think it is also over-rated. We can like something and still feel it is over-rated. For example, I liked "Spider-Man" - but I don't think it merits all of the attention it is receiving. Hence, it is now risking being over-rated.

*edited - adding more comments.

As some in this thread have stated about other albums, the more I listen to JT, the less I like it. There are some songs I'll always love ("One Tree Hill"), but that "newness" factor wore off on my a long time ago. When I reach for U2, JT is often the last album I'll grab. ATYCLB may be a little too "adult contemporary" but this does not make it over-rated. How some of you are connecting these two thoughts is beyond my comprehension. In other words, if that's your only reason for saying ATYCLB is "over-rated" then I don't accept your explanation.

As Womanfish wisely stated, it seems that JT overshadows all of U2's other work, and THIS is the reason it is over-rated. It simply isn't strong enough of an album - IN MY OPINION - to do this. In contrast, I do think AB, UF, and ATYCLB are strong enough.

Last edited:
there was this guy in chat the other day who bashed my skull in for saying that atyclb is as boring as a slab of tire rubber.

i wish hed take a look at this poll - im not the only one who thinks that.

now dont get me wrong, it is a good album - all their albums are at least good.

but its not great.

and when were talking about u2, asking for great isnt too much to ask is it? i mean they are definately, imo in the top 5 bands in the world.

atyclb is pure adult contemporary. i dare say it compares to matchbox twenty on many levels. with the exception of the TOMB RAIDER mix of elevation (they even overproduced it on the album to make it even more quiter!! wtf?!?!?! i thought it was supposed to be "raw and punk"?!?) all of those songs fit right along side matchbox 20 and the calling.

(N)

im being very harsh only cause theyre my fav. band and i can say what i want. i just HOPE they come out with something INTERESTING on their next album.

that is all.

Zoomerang96 said:
there was this guy in chat the other day who bashed my skull in for saying that atyclb is as boring as a slab of tire rubber.

i wish hed take a look at this poll - im not the only one who thinks that.

atyclb is pure adult contemporary.

I feel like bashing your head in too. Not because you think ATYCLB is boring (although that is reason enough), but because...

[rant]

A BORING ALBUM DOES NOT MAKE IT OVER-RATED!

AN ALBUM THAT IS MORE "ADULT CONTEMPORARY" IN STYLE DOES NOT MAKE IT OVER-RATED!!

:madspit:

[/rant]

I'm not a super-fan of JT, but I do like it. However, I think I've listed plenty of reasons why I feel it is over-rated - and NONE of them include the overall style of the album. If ATYCLB doesn't impress you, that's fine. Perhaps you can point out weaknesses in the album and state that for these reasons you feel it is over-rated. But to simply state that the style is more "adult contemporary" that you prefer does not, in and of itself, make it over-rated.

doctorwho said:

What makes something over-rated? It's an item that you hear about constantly that you don't think merits the attention. Well, that holds true for JT for me. Every time a casual fan mentions U2, there's JT in the conversation. Every time I see a top album poll, there's JT. And since I just don't think JT is *that* great of an album - as compared to other U2 albums - I've grown tired of constantly hearing this album praised. Hence, this is why I feel it is over-rated.

As some in this thread have stated about other albums, the more I listen to JT, the less I like it. There are some songs I'll always love ("One Tree Hill"), but that "newness" factor wore off on my a long time ago. When I reach for U2, JT is often the last album I'll grab. ATYCLB may be a little too "adult contemporary" but this does not make it over-rated. How some of you are connecting these two thoughts is beyond my comprehension. In other words, if that's your only reason for saying ATYCLB is "over-rated" then I don't accept your explanation.

I think that the reason why so many people, including myself, connect "adult-contemporary" with "overated" is that adult contemporary isn't usually a type of music that gets a lot of recognition from music critics. It is usually rather blend music that stays on the safe side and doesn't alienate fans with surprising sounds and ideas. Music that is daring and innovative while touching people deserves praise and recognition.

For some reason though, most critics thought that ATYCLB was a stellar record and gave it excellent reviews. Also, U2 has had more exposure this year than I can remember ever having it. For the reasons that you have mentioned above, namely that I'm tired of everyone saying what a great album it is, I think that ATYCLB is overrated. In other words, I don't think it deserved all the accolades it received. I think it overshadows the rest of U2's work and I'm worried about the possible backlash that might follow such a mainstream success. People tend to see U2 now as a big mainsteam arena band and forget about all the creativity and risks that they took in their career. Of course that is just my opinion and I can see how some people who really like it my think that it deserved all the recoginition it received but I just don't see it that way.

Last edited:
doctorwho said:

I feel like bashing your head in too. Not because you think ATYCLB is boring (although that is reason enough), but because...

[rant]

A BORING ALBUM DOES NOT MAKE IT OVER-RATED!

AN ALBUM THAT IS MORE "ADULT CONTEMPORARY" IN STYLE DOES NOT MAKE IT OVER-RATED!!

:madspit:

[/rant]

and i feel like bashing your head in too because you as much as anyone else here should know how incredibly well atyclb was recieved by not only the critics but the buying public as well.

now that alone doesnt it make it overrated. however, that combined with the fact that it sounds sooo much like other adult-contemp. out there, it doesnt stand out.

thus creating this equation:

sales $$$ + critically acclaimed + unmemorable = overrated.

ofcourse your still the doctor, and i dont want to actually crush your skull in.

i have no trouble with your views on jt, though i definately dont agree with the,

Hey Doc -

I'm the one who was curious about how old you were when JT came out. And I was just that, curious. I wasn't assuming anything.

And I'm not a newbie (been reading and posting infrequently since 8/00). Sorry if I'm not familiar with your age.

Your logic is puzzling, however. You don't hold JT in the highest regard, for your own reasons, and therefore think it is overrated because of all the press it has received over the years - fair enough.

My reasons for thinking ATYCLB is overrated are the same. I don't particularly like the album - in comparison to several other U2 albums - and think it is being praised far too much. It has received a buttload of attention over the past year and a half.

We can agree to disagree on this one - sound good?

:yes:

Nice to see many people (42%) calling out ATYCLB for what it is - easy listening "contemporary rock" that fits nicely on the CD case with recent Sting and Goo Goo Dolls. I can't imagine being compelled to listen to this dull record all the way through. To be fair, Walk On, In a Little While and Kite in particular are great tunes and I won't knock them. But the lyrics of such pop-cheese like the faintly hideous "Peace on Earth" make me want to lose my lunch.

What a disappointment this record was, a full-fledged retreat from the brave daring departures of the AB/Zoo/Pop trilogy. Critics hailing it as the band's best work since TJT are sadly misinformed and someone needs to give them a copy of Achtung real quick.

And as an FYI...U2 has garnered positive reviews for every album, they are tight with key press figures. POP got a 9/10 in Spin and 4 stars in RS, even NME was positive. All the negativity started around the start of the underrehearsed live show.

And regarding Into the Heart, Naill Stokes may be a bit disdainful on some of their early works, but generally he is effusive in his praise, gushing and waxing poetic (and rightfully so) on U2 80's gems such as The Unforgettable Fire and Running To Stand Still. I think he's right on the mark for the most part, although I believe I enjoy Elvis Presley and America more than he does, hahaha.

POP

I like this post because it's finally getting some discussion going in the forum again!

I have to laugh at the people saying that POP was NOT panned by critics. Ok I conceide that there were a few (and i do mean FEW) positive reviews at the beginning. Not only did these positive reviews drop away FAST - being replaced by nasty, sarcastic, and sometimes just plain mean reviews, but most - if not all of the initial magazines that gave good reviews have since gone on to bash the album. I seriously can't think of one positive thing i have seen about POP in RS or Spin since the initial reviews.

And i just don't understand how getting a few positive reviews can somehow lead someone to believe that it was then over-rated!?!?!? I would say that most of the general public would rate POP as the worst U2 album whether they have even listened to it or not.

follower said:
*follower comes from the shadows and looks around...where are the POP haters?*
POP is the most overrated U2 album @ Feedback
IMO U2's most overrated album in general would be Achtung Baby

Dear Salome, I was kidding. And teasing people a little bit. It?s not forbidden, is it? ;)
Obvioulsy POP is not overrated in the sense in which SkeeK posted his question. When it comes to the midia is quite the opposite, in fact.

I knew you were kidding
but I'll take any chance I get to point out how grossly overrated POP is around here

I would say POP is the most under-rated album. I know that has nothing to do with this poll and is to do with the other one, but I won't be having orange boy insulting one of my favourite albums. So there.

Re: Re: hubba hubba!

Basstrap said:

And whoever said Pop was over-rated...where the hell did that come from.

I did - among others.

I don't like Zooropa or Pop because i don't think playing around with effects (and trying to be "cool" at any cost, but mostly lack of songs that could compare to U2's standards from the 80's) makes a good album. Someone said a while ago that U2 was catering to teenagers with ATYCLB - IMO they were doing that with POP and the whole megalomaniac, flashy Popmart tour.

Having said that, i do like half of the songs from Pop, and three songs from Zooropa. In general though, i think that ATYCLB is the best possible answer to all of the electronica experimenting, as it showcases how good their songwriting can be, and even adds some new musical hints.

By the way, why does it have to be such a big deal that not everyone loves Pop?

Last edited:
Of course I respect everyones opinion, but I'm kind of tired with these straitjacket definitions of what can constitute a good album. Just becomes something "ROCKS DUDE" does not mean that its necessarily a great piece of music. Because ATYCLB does not have a lot of fast tempo, heavy distortion guitar effect ladden, songs, ATYCLB is considered to be boring or of low quality. Of course, this has more to do with style and the presentation of the written works rather than the quality of the music. Just because a piece of music has a soft sound does not make it Adult Contemporary. What makes something daring or alternative is not whether the production sound is hard or soft. Turning a few nobs in the studio is all it takes to accomplish that. It is often much more difficult to write a piece of music that is simple yet still original. People need to stop generalizing and throw out their pre-concieved notions that say unless, the tempo is this fast, and the level of guitar distortion is this high, and there is a blistering guitar solo in the middle, then its not good music and simply Adult Contempory. The fact is, your never going to enjoy anything U2 produces in the next 10 years because its not going to conform to your expectations of a U2 album from the late 80s or early 90s. The only way your going to be able to really appreciate or be able to properly critique the next U2 albums is if you let go of preconcieved notions of what makes something good i.e.(ROCKS DUDE, GUITAR DUDE) or U2s late 80s/early 90s work. Try listening to just the music itself without any preconcieved notions of what is good and any regard to tempo or even if a guitar is used in the song at all, and then rate it.

I'd like to remind everyone here that are tearing up ATYCLB that the it is Edge's 2nd favorite U2 album. The Edge is on honest guy who I have had the pleasure of meeting. He is an impressive guitar player and I respect is opinion although I certainly form my own independent of anyone elses.

doctorwho said:
As Womanfish wisely stated, it seems that JT overshadows all of U2's other work, and THIS is the reason it is over-rated. It simply isn't strong enough of an album - IN MY OPINION - to do this. In contrast, I do think AB, UF, and ATYCLB are strong enough.

Yes! That is EXACTLY why I picked JT as most overrated. I agree with what you said. It's an exceptional album and one of the greatest of the 80s, but not, imho, U2's absolute finest work. I'm sick of it, too...When I mention U2 and people say, "Oh, yeah, they had that one album...The Joshua Tree, right?" grrr....:mad:

Mango said:
Hello people!? What about War? By far the most over-rated U2 album.

That's right, I'm a War hater and I'm not afraid to admit it.

[color=royal blue]Can't stand listening to "War."[/color]

War has so many good songs!!
seconds, Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Years Day, 40, Two Hearts Bleed as One, Surrender!!!!

All these are amazing songs.

I suggest you give it another listen!

Basstrap said:
War has so many good songs!!
seconds, Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Years Day, 40, Two Hearts Bleed as One, Surrender!!!!

All these are amazing songs.

I suggest you give it another listen!

[color=royal blue]I like some of the songs.....but the whole *vibe* isn't there for me in "War" like it is in other albums, like Achtung or R&H. [/color]

wow! i am surprised atyclb is so far the most overrated!
i could not pick one, so i went with uabrs as a default, not b/c i think it was bad.

Yeah, I don't really "get" War either. I agree that it has some great songs (SBS, Seconds, NYD, 40, etc), but some of the other songs are just godawful (Red Light and The Refugee)! The album just seems very inconsistent and incoherent. I don't understand why I've seen it touted as a "post-punk masterpiece" and stuff like that in so many places. IMHO, a masterpiece album shouldn't have songs that are just begging to be skipped over.

ATYCLB - I agree with the comments that everyone esle has made on why this album is overrated!! I just don't see it as U2's third "master-piece" at all.

Personally, I like the album, but I just can't listen to it from start to finish like I do with JT/AB/POP ...... to me some songs are just "filler" but that is just my little opinion! ;)

Giant Lemon said:
some of the other songs are just godawful (Red Light and The Refugee)!

awww...i like these songs! but i can understand why some people don't. the refugee though, even though i like it, doesn't fit in AT ALL. it's not even produced by steve! i like the song, but i just don't know why they stuck in some song in there, it's a total different sound that might've been better off as a b-side. and as for red light, maybe i like it cuz i liked king creole and the coconuts :silent:

SweetOnU2 said:
ATYCLB - I agree with the comments that everyone esle has made on why this album is overrated!! I just don't see it as U2's third "master-piece" at all.

Personally, I like the album, but I just can't listen to it from start to finish like I do with JT/AB/POP ...... to me some songs are just "filler" but that is just my little opinion!

which is exactly why i voted for it! :D i don't see how it follows in the vein of jt and ab. (i don't mean the sound either, esp. since those two sound different.) it's not some classic masterpiece. i've not liked it since day one so maybe i'm too biased to really give a good opinion on atyclb, but i just really don't like it, and i don't see how it was worthy of so many grammys. however, i look at it as payback for them getting so shafted in 91 for achtung baby. ;)

Back
Top Bottom