Most Overrated Song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2-rock-rock

The Fly
I Thank Beautiful Day Is It's Just Not Has Good As They Say It Is.So What Song Do You Thank Is Most Overrated Song.

-The ocean-i heard that it is great rock song in ROCK ENCYCLOPEDIA, but it sucks
-Please-boring, but great at the end

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, well maybe COBL, I don't there's that many overratted U2 songs and I don't want to say One

ZeroDude said:
OK then, One :wink: to counter act the Streets defiling.........

You can't deflect onto One!! This is the song that saved the band, and what lead to the greatest Album Achtung Baby! Definetly not overrated.:wink:

2861U2 said:
The Unforgettable Fire album. I dont know how people worship this so-so album.:eyebrow:

I have to agree, as much as I like this album it is not a "masterpiece" as some people hail it to be. It has some great songs, and even an underrated song or two, but it is not considered one of U2's greatest by those who are not super fans.

Yeah, "Beautiful Day" was hyped so much that it'd be impossible to find another U2 song that fits the "Most Overrated" qualifications. It's a great song, but considering it's currently the song most often associated with the band, it's a tad overrated.

I used to think Streets was a bit overrated, but it's amazing on the Rattle & Hum DVD. I don't think it's power gets over quite as much on the studio version.

I don't think many U2 songs are overrated, all the ones people say are brilliant usually are in the right context. Maybe The Fly, I can't see it as much more than a great riff leading into an ok song.

Okay, the songs I think are overrated(at least by u2 fans):

City of Blinding Lights: Had great potential but turned out pretty uninspired..and, has one of the cheesiest sounding choruses of all time. I do have hopes it will come alive when played live though.

The Unforgettable Fire: Live it is a great song, but it was murdered in the studio. Those synths and strings turn a song that could have been timeless into a relic of the 80's.

Mercy: Too long, too uninspired, no real climax. Perhaps a different vocal take by Bono would have done this song good...This song had TONS of potential.

what is an overrated song anyway? One that was a big hit, but should not have been. One that was acclaimed by the critics but not as good? One that is loved by the die-hard fans, but not as good? One that is loved by the band, but never did well, or is not that good?

yes, OOTS.
and I also think that whole JT is a bit overrated. It's great album, but I saw some old countdown on VH1 some time ago - 100 greatest albums I think. And JT was 1st. I was happy that they're up there with Beatles, but it should have been Achtung Baby.

edit: I forgot... my alll-time favuorite song is WTSHNN :D

Good questions

malhithearnaz said:
what is an overrated song anyway? One that was a big hit, but should not have been. One that was acclaimed by the critics but not as good? One that is loved by the die-hard fans, but not as good? One that is loved by the band, but never did well, or is not that good?

These are good questions. Today it's GENERALLY popular to bash POP - the band does it, critics do it, and fans do it. However, back before album came out, and leading right up to it's release, the band and critics both WAY overrated this entire album. POP was billed as the album that was going to "save the music industry".

I remember USA Today giving it maximum stars and a fabulous, full-page review - recently they called it a "critical and commercial flop by U2 standards". This is just one example of MANY critics who praised this album as being "bold", "ground-breaking", even "refreshing", etc., but if asked about POP today they would trash it.

Can't blame the fans. Many of them voted with their wallets - disappointing album sales in the U.S., half-empty concert venues, etc. Obviously, the fans thought the album was way overrated. That's fine. But the band and the critics should stick by what they said about POP before and right after it's release.

BTW, I voted, too, and I like(d) the album and I loved the Clemson Popmart show.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom