Most improved song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr. Lemonseed

The Fly
I'm sure this has been done before, because, well, everything has. But:

What is U2's most improved song when taken to a live setting, compared to its studio version?

I'm leaning toward Bullet the Blue Sky right now, until a better answer enters my mind.

-Dr. LS

Hmm. I think I'd go with Bullet The Blue Sky as well.

Pre 1990, i'd have said Bad, not because the studio version is poor, but just because the live version was so amazing.

These days, however, i'd be more inclined to say Bullet The Blue Sky too, even though I don't particularly like the song. They seem to always pull it off very well.

Definitely "Bullet." I don't even listen to the studio version anymore, as the live versions are so much better. (Popmart Leeds! :drool: ) Other ones... One Tree Hill, Please, Exit, MLK, 40...

I think The Fly during Elevation ruled, but because I like the studio version so much too, I couldn't put that.

Love this thread.
Bullet the Blue Sky takes the top spot definitely, but Love is Blindness is a close second.
Miami is also great live, unlike the poor studio version.
Kite
Dirty Day!!!
Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World
Mysterious Ways, of course.
...and many more...

Hmm I'd say Streets or Zoo Station. No thanks on the album versions of either. :p

oh, and Gone. I like the studio version but MUCH prefer the live versions with Edge singing... :drool:

Last edited:
Exit off of Rattle and Hum always came to mind as being most improved as compared to the Joshua Tree version.

Bullet, it's just so loud live, so beat down studio.
The Fly, the elevation version makes the song a contestant for greatest U2 song ever.
Dirty Day becomes :drool: when live.
Mysterious Ways. Extended solo is CRAZY.
Gone was a good mention.
Elevation, I never really found the studio version any good, but all that changed.
Sunday Bloody Sunday. The chorus is better.

Future improved songs:
Original Of The Species - overproduced on the album, but the Apple conference gave me hope.
City Of Blinding Lights - it was meant to be played live. They just happened to record it studio.

11 O'Clock Tick Tock

I just finally heard the studio version of this the other day after listening to only UABRS and other live versions of it for a few years, and I can't stand the studio version. It's slower, and it's poorly played, and sounds less inspired than the live version.

Damn, you all got it!

The Fly(Elevation) and not only the change in style but the stage presence (when Bono pressed himself against the screen after running a few laps was brilliant!), Please, Gone, Bullet, Bad, Running. . .

Without any question it's Discotheque.

Moderately average track on Pop, live, with Bono's intro and the synth, Edge's razor-sharp riif cutting in as the crowd cheers, the beautiful bridge with the ringing guitar and falsetto, wonderful live. Not to mention Bono's "ooooohttt oooohhttt"s between the verses.

Remember, that's my vote for most inproved. UTEOTW and Fly were great to begin with.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom