Most emotional Bad vocal ever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

silkensky

War Child
Having listened to numerous performances of this song spanning from the Unforgettable Fire era to Vertigo, I still find Bad from Popmart Perth 1998-02-17 to be one of Bono's most emotional. He's always sung this tune with a ton of passion, but in addition to that you can totally feel pain and loss in his voice throughout the entire song here and at times it's as if he's about to cry, quite unlike any performance before or since. I uploaded it from that gig if you haven't heard it yet.

http:// download.you send it.com/A7D317A234CBB9CF

Anyone know if this performance was dedicated to Michael Hutchence? I know Bono and Hutchence were pretty close. Perth wasn't Michael's hometown, was it?

I realize most fans consider Bad subpar on Popmart but personally I feel some versions played on the tour rank among the best like Perth, Santiago and Melbourne. I'd love to have Buenos Aires 1998-02-07 in soundboard format (same goes for the entire show).

James

Last edited:
Bad is my fave live U2 track of all time, I personally think that the UF tour versions were the best. For me though, Bad is all about the Edges guitar solo's at the end, and the less Bono sings the better for me as the Edge doesn't get drowned out!

silkensky said:
Having listened to numerous performances of this song spanning from the Unforgettable Fire era to Vertigo, I still find Bad from Popmart Perth 1998-02-17 to be one of Bono's most emotional. He's always sung this tune with a ton of passion, but in addition to that you can totally feel pain and loss in his voice throughout the entire song here and at times it's as if he's about to cry, quite unlike any performance before or since. I uploaded it from that gig if you haven't heard it yet.

http:// download.you send it.com/A7D317A234CBB9CF

Anyone know if this performance was dedicated to Michael Hutchence? I know Bono and Hutchence were pretty close. Perth wasn't Michael's hometown, was it?

I realize most fans consider Bad subpar on Popmart but personally I feel some versions played on the tour rank among the best like Perth, Santiago and Melbourne. I'd love to have Buenos Aires 1998-02-07 in soundboard format (same goes for the entire show).

James

Hutch 's hometown was sydney.

listening to this .... hard to tell if its emotion or tiredness... any video of it around?

Yeah that is an extremely emotional version and I think Bono's vocal was informed by being back in Perth only a few months after Hutchence's death, the sentiment of the song seemed to bring his feelings to the surface.

I agree with you about the Popmart renditions of Bad, I'm one of the few who really enjoyed them. I loved the techno-twist they gave to the sequencer and later Edges driving, pulsating solo which he's never repeated, plus I liked how they extended the slow build of the thing, only really breaking out into full band for the second chorus of 'Let it go's'. The Santiago rendition is a real stand out, I think by not performing the song for most of the tour, the bands enthusiasm towards it was reinvigorated, especially Bono, who throws himself into it full-bloodedly, pulling off some great vocals for that particular time and in those specific circumstances.

Tokyo 98's great too.

I feel lucky that I've seen them play Bad 2 times out of the 3 times that I have seen them (over the past two tours). While I tend to lean towards the early live versions (84-90), the last live performance of Bad to date (dec.4th,2006) is pretty damn brilliant.

i think the best has to be during zootv, at wembley with shankar.

it's something everyone should have in their library.

Roland of Gilead said:
I feel lucky that I've seen them play Bad 2 times out of the 3 times that I have seen them (over the past two tours). While I tend to lean towards the early live versions (84-90), the last live performance of Bad to date (dec.4th,2006) is pretty damn brilliant.

yeah 12-4-2006 in Tokyo is especially incredible

Bologna '85 (The Unforgettable Night) - :drool:

Snippets- I'm Waiting For The Man/ Sympathy For The Devil / Ruby Tuesday / Take Me To The River

One of my favorite shows ever.

The Self Aid version (Dublin 1986) would have to be up there, with Bono turning Candle In The Wind into a fire breathing tirade at the Irish newspapers who said bad things about the event.

East Rutherford 1985. 16 minutes of bliss.

That version was realy good, It is on my Bad toplist now together with:

1984 Dortmund
1986-06-15 - East Rutherford
1987-04-29 - Chicago
1989-10-20 - Sydney AIWIY/Bad
1992-08-16 - Wc
1993-08-28 - Dublin
1998 - Santiago
2001 Irving Plaza
2005-09-14 - Toronto

Roland of Gilead said:

Yes, I like that too. June 15th, 1992. Rotterdam.
AIWIY has been snippeted two different ways in Bad. There's the Zoo TV version where a few verses are sung at the end and there's the Love Town version where leading into Edge's solo Bono calls out 'All I Want Is You' a few times using his ultra-powerful Love Town era voice. It is very epic. 1990-01-10 Rotterdam (last Love Town concert) is a fine example.

AndrewCowley said:

AIWIY has been snippeted two different ways in Bad. There's the Zoo TV version where a few verses are sung at the end and there's the Love Town version where leading into Edge's solo Bono calls out 'All I Want Is You' a few times using his ultra-powerful Love Town era voice. It is very epic. 1990-01-10 Rotterdam (last Love Town concert) is a fine example.

Ever heard the AIWIY/Bad varaint on 1989-10-20 - Syndey? He goes crazy :)

It is in my voice highlights mix on my site, w w w.bonosvoice.st. Just go to the "Highlights live" section and download the first file.

Back
Top Bottom