Most annoying U2 thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the past year I've been getting annoyed by fans who frown upon other fans for criticizing U2's recent music. Especially on an open forum where stating your opinions are the whole point.

1. Static setlists.
2. Bono's pointless, rambling speeches that just bore everyone. The man makes his points far more effectively when he's succinct and to-the-point.

Axver said:
1. Static setlists.
2. Bono's pointless, rambling speeches that just bore everyone. The man makes his points far more effectively when he's succinct and to-the-point.

Agreed. I also hate it when Bono makes people pay to hear him talk...eg: that recent lecture at that school in Dallas. :|

i really hate the VERY long speeches on the Vertigo Tour DVD, specially before miracle drug and One! GRR, i fall asleep and then i miss the song!
least he didnt ramble on at Live Aid in 1985, few how boring would that of been, i mean Bad would only be 5 minutes if he rambled on!

but then he had to do it at Live 8, before One, god help us!

- Their lack of creativity and adventurism as of late.

- Bono's political campaigning (while a good cause) gettng in the way of creating music. He basically has two more-than-fulltime jobs now.

- Static setlists.

-long wait between albums
-fans
-U2 not admitting that Pop is the best thing they've ever done :wink:
-bad production
-everyone hating bono for some reason

LemonMelon said:

Agreed. I also hate it when Bono makes people pay to hear him talk...eg: that recent lecture at that school in Dallas. :|

How did he "make" them pay. Did he use a gun or was it just a verbal threat?

I am almost sure that the money he gets goes to charity....whatever the money is from his speaking engagements is like pocket money. He is not greedy.

The most annoying U2 thing is not being able to meet any of them after 20 something years of following them!:huh:

Self righteous fans have to be the worst part of this band for sure no doubt about it.

- Some of the fans.
- The static setlists.
- Changing The Fly to an acoustic guitar for The Edge - the ZooTV use of the Telecaster rocked, it was the best version I've ever heard of a song.

I find it interesting that technology has made static setlists such an issue. Without the internet we wouldn't be bitching, unless you were just rich and could afford to go to several different shows...

They change the setlist more now then they ever have in the past its just the double standard people have here. If you look at the Joshua Tree tour or even ZooTV the setlists were a lot more static then they are today. I dont agree with people that go to over 10 shows a tour anyway I think they are taking away tickets from other people that could have them.

Yahweh said:
They change the setlist more now then they ever have in the past its just the double standard people have here. If you look at the Joshua Tree tour or even ZooTV the setlists were a lot more static then they are today.

I'd say the Joshua Tree Tour's sets are only a little more static than today's - part of the third leg is incredibly static, but there are also parts with considerable diversity. And the static sets is an important part of why I dislike ZooTV. My ranking of the tours tends to fairly coincide with how non-static the sets are (emphasis on "tends to" and "fairly").

BVS has a point with technology heightening awareness of static sets, but personally, as a basic principle, I think bands should play varied sets, even if each person only goes to a single show and doesn't know much, if anything, about other sets. I feel it adds to the spontaneity and excitement of a rock concert. And today's technology aspect can't really be overlooked - it may not have been an issue in the past, but it is now and bands will probably have to keep it in mind more and more in the coming years.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

You think he took that money?

Well informed fans, gotta love them.:|

Hee, yeah, that sounded bad. :lol:

And U2 also raises the ticket prices themelves...:wink:

Sorry about that. Wish I could edit it now. :huh:

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I find it interesting that technology has made static setlists such an issue. Without the internet we wouldn't be bitching, unless you were just rich and could afford to go to several different shows...
It isn't the internet that has lead us to realise U2 use static setlists. When I was buying bootlegs back in the 80's it became pretty clear then that U2 are a static setlist band. I still bought the things, but it was collecting Unforgettable Fire shows on vinyl that made the setlist situation clear to me. So you can't say it is only the "recent" technology that has made it an issue. It is an issue because it exists and technology is just one means by which we see it in action. Going to multiple shows and bootlegs, both of which have nothing to do with technology, are other means by which we get reminded of it. And of course the whole point of the debate is that some of us wished U2 were more adventurous in this regard.

RademR said:
Bono has been annoying me lately, but I dont let it get in the way of my love for all their music.

I listen and love all their records, and even though I want to tell BONO to shut the hell up once in awhile it doesnt bother me that much.

Totally agree. However, I just have to keep telling myself that politics and Bono have always gone hand in hand. It's weird that it's starting to bother me a lot more lately. I think it's because he's obviously a lot more vocal these days, but then I think about stuff like "Rattle & Hum" and he's always been like that. I guess different times call for different measures.

I do agree with the "caricature" thing people have mentioned as well... I guess he's just a "tired, old pop star." LOL. But seriously, I just miss the old Bono. It's sad that I was more excited about Bono's pop!chop than anything political he's recently done. I got excited because it seemed like a "throwback" to his old kickass self. Dude, just give the politics thing a rest for a year, flip people the bird and totally reinvent yourself. It's about the music, man.

<-- making no sense. Then again, it is 2 in the morning.

Politics and U2 have always gone hand in hand, the difference is that it seems rehearsed now...

And I'll be the first to say that I love his politics but hate the well rehearsed feeling of it all...

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Politics and U2 have always gone hand in hand, the difference is that it seems rehearsed now...

And I'll be the first to say that I love his politics but hate the well rehearsed feeling of it all...

Yep. I have no problem with Bono's speeches from, say, the JT Tour. He certainly didn't re-use material like he does now.

Really, compare the "Fuck the Revolution" rant on Rattle And Hum to any of Bono's speeches before Miracle Drug or One this tour. The contrast is massive.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Yeah, exactly - that's what I was trying to say. I completely agree.

Fans being too over-protective of their taste in the band -- ie "Everyone must like the same U2 songs as me, same albums as me, same tours as me... etc. And if they dare disagree... :madwife: " < That kind of person.

Non-Fans who think that U2's only songs are Vertigo and Beautiful Day, and therefore think that that is the only sort of music a U2 fan would like. (And yes, I think that is, kinda, U2's fault, because they release these songs first, and make sure they get tons of airplay. I don't blame them that much though. If I wanted to sell albums, I would do that too.)

But the one thing that I hate about U2 more than anything in the world right now is..........

THEY'VE TAKEN OVER 3 MONTHS TO RELEASE THE NEW TOUR DATES WHEN THEY SAID IT WOULD TAKE A COUPLE OF WEEKS!

I would like to further add the hype that surrounds almost evry u2 album when bono is quoted as saying its a guitar album or egde is really playing onthis record or something to this effect.
Also Bonomans african chanting or watever the f**k it is at the start of streets live. Kinda goes wi what i sed at start of the thread tho.

now that i keep thinking and reading and watchinge etc etc, i have a new thing i hate bout U2,

the people they hire to film there DVDs, i find there is far too much filming on Bono. Not enough on Larry, Adam, can be quite abit on Edge at times, but the cameras also flying all over the place is stupid! makes you dizzy!

again refering to the Vertigo DVD,

i then watch pro shot shows like Sydney Zoo TV, plenty off footage of Larry, specially during Streets and Pride,

Popmart Mexico (looking just at Mofo), again planty of everyone

Rattle And Hum, again plenty of everyone

Vertigo? should be Bonigo!

Back
Top Bottom