more on Achtung Baby!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: more on Achtung Baby!

Zoocoustic said:

Let me go out on a limb here and say that AB does NOT equal U2 at all and that is why it is their best work.

Typical U2 is:

Trying to save the world.
Trying to appeal to the masses.
Trying to sound "like U2".

With AB they ignored all this and simply put out an album that reflected what they were experiencing at the time...and it sounded like nothing else.

They weren't being U2 and that's why it is so brilliant. They should try not being U2 more often.

Wow, that's true! Enough preaching, Bono. Act like a rock star again circa 1992.

shaun vox said:
did some one say that "ZooTV tour was weak"

your joking right?????

Not at all. Boring, static setlists combined with songs that were limited in length and improvisation by the technology.

Re: Re: Re: more on Achtung Baby!

unnamed_streets said:

Wow, that's true! Enough preaching, Bono. Act like a rock star again circa 1992.

Some of us here admire U2 because they aren't trashy rock stars. Personally, I never want to see a return to the Achtung days. I like my rock band with a conscience.

Re: Re: Re: Re: more on Achtung Baby!

Axver said:

Some of us here admire U2 because they aren't trashy rock stars. Personally, I never want to see a return to the Achtung days. I like my rock band with a conscience.

Then why are you listening to and following them now?

For the past five years, all that U2 is and has been concerned with is...gouging their fanbase with ever increasing ticket prices, charging $40 U2.com memberships with promises not fulfilled and charging $60 for t-shirts...

Band with a conscience, you say? ROTF:lol:

This isn't the first twenty years of their career anymore when U2 used to represent something very special about music. They were pushing the envelope in the '80s and extremely innovative in the '90s - their stock-in-trade. Now they've changed for the absolute worst - writing songs that are safe as fuck, that take no chances whatsoever. And hence wouldn't sound out of place on any Neil Diamond or Barry Manilow album. And it just keeps getting worse...

Everyone has their masterpeice. With Floyd, it's Wish You Were Here. With Queensryche, it's Operation: Mindcrime. With Rush, it's 2112. With Frank Zappa, it's Hot Rats.

Achtung Baby is U2's masterpiece. And they will never top the brilliance that is this album. I lie there sometimes before I go to bed and think of how damn good U2 used to be. It's such a shame they're so pathetic now...

Last edited:
AB is the album i have listened to the most ever! Sometimes i listen to this album as if it was brand new and i listen to it over and over. All the songs still fell fresh and new to me and as much as i love U2 there are other albums that for me have lost their touch. But AB damm infact i enjoy it more and more with everylisten! and if i have to put an estimate on how many times i listened to it uin the past 5 years ide say 2000 times!

AB will never get all for AB has way surpassed any other album. The most ive listened to other albums may be from U2 as well but then i get bored of them and maybe once in a while I listen but AB for now is still great. I don't know how much longer this will last maybe one day I will get bored of it but i don't see that hapening anytime soon. And now that HTDAAB album has sunk in a bit I am starting to listen to AB more often again!

I was listening to this album straight through before I came across this thread.

Best Album Ever. Made me a big u2 fan, allowed me to discover their past catalog, which made me a u2 fanatic. Changed my life.

ACHTUNG BABY is the best album ever. its timeless and its fresh as it was back in november 1991. the album has all the ingrediences a lifetime has to offer to anyone. from the darkest darkness to the highest heights. AB forever!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: more on Achtung Baby!

NoControl said:
Then why are you listening to and following them now?

I won't even dignify your trolling posts with any reply besides to state your wild allegations against U2's character are nothing short of lies. Seen Larry's letter on U2.com? His ending was directed to people such as yourself.

Christ... i'ved waxed poetic on this album so many times that it amazes me. Here's my thoughts simplified. Joshua tree makes you think, but achtung makes you dwell. Whereas joshua tree opened with the break of day, achtung slung you down a distorted E string into the night and all its distorted temptation. Achtung baby makes me believe in a god like higher power. One was the song that saved the band. A god like presence or god himself /herself descended on the band and decided that they would write the album to end all albums. just like jesus, not everyone believes, but those that do seem to have some slick, smiling confindence about everything that is rock and roll. I listen to that album and knowingly admit that as a musician i will never write anything that good, and it doesn't bother me. It wasn't for anyone else to write other than four lads from a fucked up ireland (irelands political landscape is the microcosm of the planet). Achtung baby is the greatest album of all time, possibly the greatest collection of music of all time, its thematic elements certainly rival any beethoven, and i have always said that u2 are so wildly popular to the general public because they are the only band that turned classical music into rock and roll. Its never more evident than on this album with each song its own movement yet flowing together so perfectly. Ah... achtung baby, my inspiration, my love affair and my mark of measure... what am i to do when its all been said?

A musical triumph!

i listen to alot of rock bands.... and i have to honestly say that this is my favourite album of all time.
IMHO this one tops the likes of Nevermind, Screamadelica and Definetely Maybe as the best rock album in the last 15 - 20 years

Re: Re: Re: Re: more on Achtung Baby!

Axver said:

And all those on-stage satellite hook-ups with Sarajevo were done by a band *without* a conscience? Puh-lease.

miss becky said:

And all those on-stage satellite hook-ups with Sarajevo were done by a band *without* a conscience? Puh-lease.

Fair call, though I never said they totally lost their conscience. They were just no longer the sincere, genuine, and passionate campaigners of the eighties. And some of Bono's antics weren't exactly the greatest on ZooTV.

Zoo TV was indeed scripted...one of my favorite Bono quotesf from that era is, "The hardest thing is to make it look spontaneous."

But if you had been able to experience a show, I don't think you would say that it was boring. I saw Zoo TV on the first leg, in Cleveland, March 1992, and I was utterly blown away. I had never seen anything like that in all my life.

And don't forget, the Internet was still incredibly young then. We couldn't compare setlists and the band's actions from night to night. So what seems static now, just wasn't, at the time, simply because you had no way of knowing what Bono had done three nights previously.

Dunno...I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. :wink:

miss becky said:
Zoo TV was indeed scripted...one of my favorite Bono quotesf from that era is, "The hardest thing is to make it look spontaneous."

But if you had been able to experience a show, I don't think you would say that it was boring. I saw Zoo TV on the first leg, in Cleveland, March 1992, and I was utterly blown away. I had never seen anything like that in all my life.

And don't forget, the Internet was still incredibly young then. We couldn't compare setlists and the band's actions from night to night. So what seems static now, just wasn't, at the time, simply because you had no way of knowing what Bono had done three nights previously.

Dunno...I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. :wink:

Those are all fair calls too and I find ZooTV bootlegs to be absolutely astounding, but compared to other tours (expect Popmart), I feel like U2 is hindered by the technology and lacked the spontaneity of earlier tours. I don't understand why they would have wanted to do that.

Axver said:

Those are all fair calls too and I find ZooTV bootlegs to be absolutely astounding, but compared to other tours (expect Popmart), I feel like U2 is hindered by the technology and lacked the spontaneity of earlier tours. I don't understand why they would have wanted to do that.

From reading U2 Show, it seems that the technology that powered Zoo TV was in its early stages. So it may just have been that they didn't know how to create spontaneity. I mean, Popmart and Elevation were also very scripted...but there was more room for flexibility. I don't know how much of that is due to advances in the technology, however, or how much of that is/was a band decision.

miss becky said:

From reading U2 Show, it seems that the technology that powered Zoo TV was in its early stages. So it may just have been that they didn't know how to create spontaneity. I mean, Popmart and Elevation were also very scripted...but there was more room for flexibility. I don't know how much of that is due to advances in the technology, however, or how much of that is/was a band decision.

I have that book, but I'm yet to read a lot of it (I have a HUGE stack of books to read). The technology was definitely astounding and U2 did a lot to further it, but I don't go to a concert to see fancy effects and wonderful lighting, I go to hear music.

I'm also a bit anti-AB/Zoo because it thoroughly destroyed the Lovetown era that I love so much.

Axver said:

but I don't go to a concert to see fancy effects and wonderful lighting, I go to hear music.

Oh Pl-eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease don't star with that lame excuse!

That statement is SO SHALLOW that I don't even wanna comment on that!

Well...looks like all the ZOO TV & PoPMart Fans are into lights, big screens, big lemons & arches & hunged cars.....yea right.

David Bowie - LOOK WHAT YOU HAVE DONE!!! Mr. Bowie - you're such an aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssss! :madspit:

Axver said:

I'm also a bit anti-AB/Zoo because it thoroughly destroyed the Lovetown era that I love so much.

I have this theory that we love the era the best that represents the time we got into the band. :wink:

I live in Indonesia, and at that time (early 90's) New Kids on the Block is huge.
Never heard of U2 until the first commercial TV arrived in 1993.
The video clip was Stay (Faraway, So Close).
Oh my oh my that was my very first U2 song. Still U2 never really make impact in my life full of pop music and some alternative music.

Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me made slight impact, because Seal's Kiss from a Rose was bigger.

I watched MTV when Discotheque and Staring at the Sun came, never really captured my heart.

The Best of 1980-1990 era, I came to realize that I know some U2 songs from my childhood such as With or Without You and Still Haven't Found.
The Sweetest Thing made impact and U2 cd's could be borrowed in music stores.

In Netherlands, I bought almost all U2 catalogue.

When I listened Achtung Baby for the first time, I was surprised to hear U2's songs.
I heard some of their 80's and 90's but I think Achtung is at different level.

Now, after months, Achtung Baby is the most frequently heard cd from all my cds. And thanks to non-U2 Ipod, I can even listen to Achtung more frequently.
Although I think no songs in Achtung will beat With or Without You, I love the whole album and it rules as the best collection I ever have (though you may not agree with the rest :wink: )

miss becky said:

I have this theory that we love the era the best that represents the time we got into the band. :wink:

Nope. I wasn't born until 1987, I was tragically unaware when Lovetown passed through my hometown in 1989, and though I grew up as a casual fan, I didn't become a fanatic until I heard the New Mix of Gone in 2002. Then I discovered Lovetown and ... :drool: :drool: :drool:

zooroper said:

Oh Pl-eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease don't star with that lame excuse!

That statement is SO SHALLOW that I don't even wanna comment on that!

Well...looks like all the ZOO TV & PoPMart Fans are into lights, big screens, big lemons & arches & hunged cars.....yea right.

David Bowie - LOOK WHAT YOU HAVE DONE!!! Mr. Bowie - you're such an aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssss! :madspit:

WTF?

I prefer the lowkey production. I don't give a rats where U2 are playing. Put them on an empty stage for all I care. For me, it's all about the music. With my poor vision, I can't really see all of the visual effects anyway! In my opinion, they're just side issues, some eye candy that is a secondary consideration to the music.

NoControl said:

For the past five years, all that U2 is and has been concerned with is...gouging their fanbase with ever increasing ticket prices, charging $40 U2.com memberships with promises not fulfilled and charging $60 for t-shirts...

Then what did you think when ticket prices went up on Zoo TV, when they were charging 20 USD for Propaganda fan-club, charging for the tour merchandise? (you do know it was the T-shirts that saved Zoo TV from loss?)Who do you think payed for the tour airplane and the TV station they used, or the new clothes and image, and the shades, and all the screens and tech wizardry they used?

And what did you think when they released an album, a book and a movie in 1988?

When their tour promoter guaranteed them 100 million dollars on Popmart, no matter how well the shows would do?

Let's not pretend that U2 wasn't interested in making money till 2000.

Last edited:
The Fly and Ziggy Stardust forever:wink: ( random bowie reference as saw above wtf)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: more on Achtung Baby!

U2girl said:

And what did you think when they released an album, a book and a movie in 1988?

Let's not pretend that U2 wasn't interested in making money till 2000.

This is a good point. Wasn't there a degree of backlast over the RnH movie? Don't get me wrong, I love it, but it is a tad pretentious to make a movie about yourselves and then show it loads of main-stream movie theaters. Would have been better if it had just gone onto video IMO.

I thought that this was part of the reason why they had to "dream it all up again"? This is why U2 will always be the best band IMO - they conquered the world once with JT and then did it all again with a completely different style. This is what I find impressive - they had the guts to try it. It could have gone horrible wrong. Instead we have an amazing, complete album IMO - I can listen to it the whole way though, time and time again.

And regarding the theory above that our favorite era is the one that we first discovered U2 - I do agree with this. I will never forget sticking close to the radio with the hope of hearing Mysterious Ways come on. It just sounded so fresh - I was instantly hooked.

Lol, won't happen but the next album whatever it is won't be crap maybe not genius but solid like the last 2

Back
Top Bottom