More New Music Rumors and Such...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice one. So is that the EP Adam talked about 3-4 new songs ?

Stingray, North Star, Glastonbury, EBW.

Me too. Eager for higher quality of it, and a full band version, or well, full studio with all the production. It does seem like it could be quite a good song.

Also loved the way they played North Star yesterday, too. Sounds better with the chimey guitar rather than the acoustic.

It's sort of funny. I get the impression that people are more pessimistic and negative about U2 on here lately - and not that i'm complaining about the complainers or whatever. But here they are, playing four (!) unreleased songs in a concert, with lots of projects on the burner. It seems like people should be excited rather than negative. We've also had a studio version of Soon released this year as well as the Brothers version of Winter. So that's six new songs with no official release this year - and there looks like there's more coming within the next 4-5 months too. Pretty fun time to be a U2 fan, I think at least.

It's okay. A little too close to classic Edge chimes teritorry, but of course this isn't a full studio version. Perhaps not quite finished as Bono can be heard telling the band to go to "middle eight, again".

Also loved the way they played North Star yesterday, too. Sounds better with the chimey guitar rather than the acoustic.

Got a link for that? :)

It's okay. A little too close to classic Edge chimes teritorry, but of course this isn't a full studio version.

Perhaps, but sometimes you need that every so often. I'm liking it though.

EBW is by FAR the best of the new songs IMO, in fact it's in a different league. Q Magazine last year said that the full version is electronic(y). Would love to hear it with the full production...

And yes, North Star was much better yesterday than opening night...

Happy.

"Surging anthem" and comparisons with WOWY...I don't hear it in EBW.

It's nice but - for the record - I just want to say that this song is not entirely original. Edge's guitar part is EXACTLY (or almost exactly) the same part he played during the Elevation or Bomb tour as an Intro to The Fly. I heard them do it at MSG in the Summer 2001. Here's the version from the Boston DVD: YouTube - U2 The Fly Live Boston 2001

It's nice but - for the record - I just want to say that this song is not entirely original. Edge's guitar part is EXACTLY (or almost exactly) the same part he played during the Elevation or Bomb tour as an Intro to The Fly. I heard them do it at MSG in the Summer 2001. Here's the version from the Boston DVD: YouTube - U2 The Fly Live Boston 2001
:up::up:

edit: I thought I was crazy..but your post proved me wrong. :)

EBW is by FAR the best of the new songs IMO, in fact it's in a different league. Q Magazine last year said that the full version is electronic(y). Would love to hear it with the full production...

And yes, North Star was much better yesterday than opening night...

Happy.
I still like NS better than EBW...but I'm happy with everything, after all we've 4 new songs.. :)

I really like NS and EBW a lot, not sure which one more but both are great in my opinion. Glastonbury is alright too. So far so good, guys.

First of all, the WOWY comparison with regards to EBW was written by a rock journalist, which means take it with a huge grain of sand. Remember, Moment of Surrender was compared to One as well, but they're nothing alike. They're just both ballads. So it's possible that the reviewer heard EBW, thought "ballad" and then compared it to one of U2's most popular ballads.

Also, this is clearly not the full version, it's just Bono and The Edge trying it out in a spare arrangement.

But I'm getting ahead of myself, here's what I was going to say originally:

Holy shit this song is beautiful. If this song and North Star are both on SoA, then I am incredibly excited for that album.

I think the thing we have to remember here is that U2's songs go through many variations and tweeks or different versions.A RS editor mentioned in the Q magazine article that EBW was a surging electronic anthem,while Bono mentioned it was like a OMD song.Now judging from the clip at the concert it didn't sound electronic or like OMD.However I realize that until I hear a finished studio recording I cannot truly make that comparison.They usually play stripped down versions of songs that sound a little different than the album versions.I'm sure a recording of North Star doesen't sound like the 360 version.It's like when me and my friend first bought POP and listened to it.We were good with the first 3 tracks and then felt let down with IGWSHA.We thought the majority of the album was going to be dance music because we heard U2 was working with Howie B.However if you notice on their B Sides to singles there are alot of dance remixes of their songs so you can tell that there is a love of dance/club music by the band.I think they do or did own a night club called the Fly Kitchen.So what i'm saying is that U2 stays original to their form of originality which means that whether they do Rock(they are not going to sound like Van Halen or Aerosmith)Pop(They are not going to sound like Jonas Bros.or Justin Timberlake)or Club/Dance(they are not going to sound like Prodigy or Chemichal Bros)They are going to sound like U2 doing their versions of that style of music.It actually deems them original and fresh IMO.

Beautiful song

I'm not sure about the chorus in this arrangement, but the verses are great. It reminds me of Northstar, also has great lyrics

I'm happy the band are still taking risks live

Santiago

Thanks for the link popacrobat!

I'm actually angry that Every Breaking Wave wasn't on NLOTH after hearing it! It's THAT GOOD!

It easily beats just under half the songs on that album. At least that's my thinking so far after a few listens.

EBW was supposed to be the lead single for SoA, no?

I really like the melody. Obviously, same as North Star, with bare bones versions of songs like this there's not much to judge. I mean, yeah, Edge is all simplistic and chimey, but that means absolutely nothing in relation to how it might sound on record - how else could they do it as a duo, really especially if this is still a slow building, electronic song, as per earlier descriptions (ie not an obvious guitary song). Imagine if they'd road tested MoS on the Vertigo Tour or something, same as this, just Edge and Bono. I bet it would sound something like this, and in turn, would sound absolutely nothing like the finished song.

I think EBW is the best thing I've heard from U2 in a decade...I wish they'd stop sitting on this stuff :huh: Record it and put it out before you overthink and ruin it...

Magnificient a shit single....? don't agree with you

I don't mean shit song, I mean shit single. It's not a quality judgement, it's a market judgement. U2 sounding very U2 = poor market proposition, IMO. And even though to the U2 nutter, each of Boots/Crazy/Magnificent had something new and nice, to the casual ear, not so much.

EBW was supposed to be the lead single for SoA, no?

I really like the melody. Obviously, same as North Star, with bare bones versions of songs like this there's not much to judge. I mean, yeah, Edge is all simplistic and chimey, but that means absolutely nothing in relation to how it might sound on record - how else could they do it as a duo, really especially if this is still a slow building, electronic song, as per earlier descriptions (ie not an obvious guitary song). Imagine if they'd road tested MoS on the Vertigo Tour or something, same as this, just Edge and Bono. I bet it would sound something like this, and in turn, would sound absolutely nothing like the finished song.

Actually, I think you can judge a lot from "bare bones" versions of songs. Just chords and a melody - the meat and potatoes of a song. A song can have fantastic atmospherics and sound great sonically, but if the song isn't there - the structure, the chords, the melody, and the rhythm - then the song probably won't hold up. This song definitely holds up, which means a studio version can only really improve on it.

Also, you've given me a great idea. I'd absolutely love to hear a bare version of MoS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom