More New Album talk from the Space Moon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Arcade Fire = :| Glad y'all love them, but take the discussion to the AF thread.

And I was able to preorder Ordinary Love, but I ordered the first day it was announced. Now I see they are "out of stock." Of course, even with the preorder, there's no promises it will ship- if they sell out in store, I'm out of luck.

The '2 is greater than The 'Fire.

For that matter, Rush > AF.

It doesn't have to be a competition. I like U2 more than Arcade Fire but I like Arcade Fire's albums better than anything U2 has released since Pop.

It doesn't have to be a competition. I like U2 more than Arcade Fire but I like Arcade Fire's albums better than anything U2 has released since Pop.

Great. But what about the things that really matter?

Where do you stand on Rush?

Bullmoose and Vintage Vinyl were taking preorders the day the single was announced, but both have cut them off.

I think there will be more opportunities as we get closer to the release date. There were several online stores offering preorders for WAIE back in 2010.

Then again, some of those stores don't exist anymore.

There will be copies all over eBay before and after the release date, and if U2.com are true to form they will stream MP3s of both tracks anyway.

:love:
big-dancing-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif

True this. I'm starting to suspect that U2 made a conscious decision not to release their album in November, as they had an inkling that AF would show them up to be has-beens with nothing left to offer. If you were to imagine a "league table" of the most influential rock bands in the world today (based on recent output, not twenty year old albums), it's doubtful whether U2 would squeak into the top 5. Too long between releases and too much mediocrity from the sacred '2.

Will someone please explain to me why people keep calling the band "the '2" in this obnoxious way?

Will someone please explain to me why people keep calling the band "the '2" in this obnoxious way?

An Interference inside joke. A poster a few years ago claimed to be an insider and tried to get people to believe that in U2's tight knit circles everyone just calls them "the 2".

He referred to knowing that a magazine was going to get a rating of a 2 and subsequently referred to it as "the 2." When that magazine ended up giving them a 5/5 instead of a 2, he claimed he wasn't talking about a rating and was actually referring to the band as "the 2." It was the stupidest thing you've ever seen in your life.

He referred to knowing that a magazine was going to get a rating of a 2 and subsequently referred to it as "the 2." When that magazine ended up giving them a 5/5 instead of a 2, he claimed he wasn't talking about a rating and was actually referring to the band as "the 2." It was the stupidest thing you've ever seen in your life.

I had completely forgotten that piece of the story. Impressive, historian.

Question for you guys: Do you think that if the new album, as a whole, is not up to par to what U2 considers "great", that they might decide not to even release it? Bono did say on Letterman, "Why does the world need a new U2 album [unless it's great]. There are plenty of them already." Those words really hit home with me. It got me thinking that if the album doesn't meet their standards, they could very well not release it. Thoughts?

Just fucking stop. He says that about every fucking album. They're going to release an album in Feb, Mar or Apr, and they will consider it great unless the general public doesn't digest it properly -- in which case they'll distance themselves.

Come on. Space Moon.

Just fucking stop. He says that about every fucking album. They're going to release an album in Feb, Mar or Apr, and they will consider it great unless the general public doesn't digest it properly -- in which case they'll distance themselves.

Come on. Space Moon.
Don't hold anything back there, lol. Of course I know he has said this in the past, but that doesn't make it any less true. All it means is that they obviously considered their past few albums to be great enough to meet their standards (and I think they were right, actually, as they have all been great IMO, with the exception of a couple songs on each album). I am just curious, let's say that this time the album doesn't quite meet their standards...I am wondering what would happen. Do they just keep working on it indefinitely? Or do they scrap the entire project and start again? I imagine that at a certain point, they would have to scrap it if it isn't arriving at a particular standard they have set for themselves.

I see your point Loris but I do think your question is a weeny bit incendiary, considering the heat of the discussions we've had about whether or not U2 have lost it and should do that very thing to their whole careers. We all agree that five years LONG, more than five is WAY too long, and if they can't pull out a good one on this record than they may not continue. So "should they scrap it" is a pretty loaded question. My sense is that they are committed to this record. Not only are they talking publicly about a release soon but they've allowed people to have heard it to talk a little. They'll tinker up to the last minute because that's the way they roll, but I think that if they had doubts about their willingness to release the project at all Lillywhite and Lanois would have been gagged.

Question for you guys: Do you think that if the new album, as a whole, is not up to par to what U2 considers "great", that they might decide not to even release it? Bono did say on Letterman, "Why does the world need a new U2 album [unless it's great]. There are plenty of them already." Those words really hit home with me. It got me thinking that if the album doesn't meet their standards, they could very well not release it. Thoughts?

No.

He said the same thing about NLOTH.
He said the same thing about Bomb.

Bono lies.

It's the same bullshit hyping and hyperbole we get every time. I really don't get why people still fall for it or even believe a single word. There's no use in taking any of it seriously, it's a waste of time and energy. I'll judge when I have the album in my hands and listen to it. It will be released either way, and Bono's hyperboles are not going to change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom