More New Album talk from the Space Moon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Breathe (Mandela Version) meaning new lyrics? Sounds painfully cheesey :/

they're not bad

18th of July on the banks of a not-well-known river
I started a journey to where I am now
A troubled soul, breath taker
I was guided by the dreams of my creator
Towards a rhythm and rhyme
A melody line of a song called freedom
Which, once heard, will not leave your head
And it will be as you want it to be
If you can love what you see
Everything is going to be alright
And the life you get to have
Is the one you give away
To forget who, to forgive is a good thing

Walk out into the street
Sing your heart out
This love will not be beat
Neither down or out
There's nothing you have that I need
I can breathe

All those who stood together
Fist in air, now know this
That real division is not a scar on the land
But in the heart of a man, who began
As a kin, not to resist a knotted fist
Now an open hand, an open face, an open page
Whose history might rewrite its rage

Walk out into the street
Sing your heart out
Neither down or out
I can breathe

We are people born of sound
The songs are in our eyes
Gonna wear them like a crown

Walk out into the street
Sing your heart out
Neither down or out
I can breathe

Salt in your eyes
Well, it stings and burns
Till every heart is as fire
As it yearns
I felt my life slip away
Into someone else's song
40 in the shade
And the game was all wrong

Those first four lines are a bit rough, especially the first one which is both awkward and cheesey at once.

That would be awesome if they released new versions of Breathe every year to accomdate a new theme.

Despite the absence of the dreaded cockatoo, I much prefer the album version. These lyrics are so on-the-nose and bland as bland can be, you'd expect Bono to write a song like this in his sleep by now. At least album Breathe has some lyrical chutzpah going for it.

I'm cool with it. Quite like the music on that song. Even tho people called it 'Edge mailing it in' or whatever I like the guitar. Also like the guitar on Unknown Caller. :up:
As one of the people who thinks Edge mailed it in on a few tracks, I can assure you it wasn't Breathe that I was talking about (looking at you, Magnificent).

I'm cool with it. Quite like the music on that song. Even tho people called it 'Edge mailing it in' or whatever I like the guitar. Also like the guitar on Unknown Caller. :up:

Both had pretty good music in the background overall.

macphisto_mag.jpg

Oh wait! U2 has done it before except in much larger venues.

Wasn't there a picture like this one (I don't think it's this one) where Bono was sitting in which looked like a mirror but it was actually Guggi? That was a very cool pic.

Breathe is pretty easily the standout from NLotH for me. The vocal approach and cello take them out of their comfort zones a bit, and I love the way the solo bleeds into the following verse. Great track all around.

I have it on good authority that the next album will be called "Ten Reasons to Breathe", and it will contain ten differently themed versions of Breathe. The release date has been confirmed as February 31, 2017.

Breathe is pretty easily the standout from NLotH for me. The vocal approach and cello take them out of their comfort zones a bit, and I love the way the solo bleeds into the following verse. Great track all around.

I was always intrigued by its late spot in the sequence in NLOTH. Anybody know any info about the track sequence thought process there? I think at one point Unknown Caller was considered as the first song?

In my mind, the title song always sounded like a song made-to-order for the opening spot. "We need a opening song, stat!" Of course, I am basing this on nothing.

In my mind, the title song always sounded like a song made-to-order for the opening spot. "We need a opening song, stat!" Of course, I am basing this on nothing.

Well they did kick off the 360 shows with it.. so you're not totally off your rocker :wink:

Wasn't there a picture like this one (I don't think it's this one) where Bono was sitting in which looked like a mirror but it was actually Guggi? That was a very cool pic.

:hmm: Maybe you're thinking of Bono and Neil McCormick from the cover of the Killing Bono book.

neilmccormick-killingbono.jpg~original

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom