Moral Dilemma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkeeK

The Original, Rock n' Roll Doggie, VIP PASS
Ok, maybe it's not that big a deal... but I'm curious to know what you all think. I'm making a CD [edit]for my girlfriend[/edit] of the U2 songs that are my favourites or that mean the most to me personally... but although it's one of my favourite U2 songs, I can't decide whether it would be a good idea to put So Cruel on it, for obvious reasons. What do all you fine people think?

[This message has been edited by SkeeK (edited 12-16-2001).]

Now that I know it's for your girl, I wouldn't include it.

[This message has been edited by U2ME3 (edited 12-17-2001).]

I'm not sure what that song means to you but my opinion is, if a song is too personal it shouldn't be on a "personal greatest hits". If the cd is meant to put you in a good, smiling, comfortable mood and if a song is a personal psycholigist or has a deeper mening to you, leave it out.
smile.gif

------------------
"U2 on it?s own is a very interesting group and all. But U2 with it?s audience is a culture" - Bono

http://community.webshots.com/user/misszooropa
Pictures from Copenhagen (shirtless ones), London and Dublin, Slane.

So Cruel is a righteous song..
It made one of my sexies a long long time ago do a soul searching gut check when I told her that this song reminded me of her..
She got right quickly thereafter..

DB9

------------------
"...The big guy is made of STEEL." - Bono as we stood together on stage at Boston #4, June 9th, 2001.

---
-curious? click
links for
Bono/Dimon-
Bos.4 Story
Pics..

http://www.arizonaautoweb.com/bono/

http://members.aol.com/diamondbruno9/

Originally posted by Diamond The U2 Patriot:

It made one of my sexies a long long time ago do a soul searching gut check when I told her that this song reminded me of her..
She got right quickly thereafter..

Yeah, but my sexy is already right and she don't need no gutcheck from anyone. hoohah.

Originally posted by SkeeK:

Yeah, but my sexy is already right and she don't need no gutcheck from anyone. hoohah.

oh that was gold SkeeK. mad props to you.

------------------
against smileys

Well just have it there on stand by young fella you have ALOT of yrs ahead of you..and maybe Kob may need to borrow it someday from you.
Out-
DB9

------------------
"...The big guy is made of STEEL." - Bono as we stood together on stage at Boston #4, June 9th, 2001.

---
-curious? click
links for
Bono/Dimon-
Bos.4 Story
Pics..

http://www.arizonaautoweb.com/bono/

http://members.aol.com/diamondbruno9/

[note: a "Moral Dilemma" faced by our dear, resourceful Skeek was one I had to peek in on.
smile.gif
]
Why a dilemma, exactly? (This is a straight question, not a rebuttal.) Is it because it's actually painful to listen to, because of personal associations? then maybe it doesn't belong.
Otherwise, sometimes a dark song associated with a painful experience becomes a cathartic listen everytime, a purging rush -- a kind of grim victory -- then I'd definitely include it.
And if your reservations are more objective than that, i.e., that it's just a really dark song (one I happen to find unnervingly beautiful, every time), I say, *piffle* If it moves you, baby...

Deb

ps you asked awhile back: I'm on the West Coast, far, far away in storm-battered Vancouver.
smile.gif

pps: oh-- your post under Michael's thread explains the "obvious" reasons you neglected to mention here: it's for the girlfriend! Well, if she were, say, 35 *ahem* I'd say she'll dig it. But she probably isn't, and only you know if she'll take it right.

------------------
He set my feet upon a rock
made my footsteps firm

the greatest frontman in the world -- by truecoloursfly: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=1575

[This message has been edited by truecoloursfly (edited 12-16-2001).]

make it , as a hidden track
wink.gif

I f you like it , add it , if not , then don't , other thoughts are uselless and pointlesszzzzz E!-L!-E!-V!-A!-T!-I!-O!-N! YYYYYYOOHHH, DESERT SKY , BLA BLA BLA DREAM BENEATH SKIES , GOTTA TO FINISH THIS TUNE
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

lOVE & pEACE - MIRU-MIR
sTALKER RULES FOREVER
sEX - DRUGS AND R&ROLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL OVER MOZART
STONE COLD CRAZY

Originally posted by truecoloursfly:
pps: oh-- your post under Michael's thread explains the "obvious" reasons you neglected to mention here: it's for the girlfriend! Well, if she were, say, 35 *ahem* I'd say she'll dig it. But she probably isn't, and only you know if she'll take it right.

You might be right Deb, but even so I would like to say to our nice SkeeK boy, add So Cruel to the CD, it's a genuine pearl. Then wait and see what happens...
wink.gif

Originally posted by Diamond The U2 Patriot:
Well just have it there on stand by young fella you have ALOT of yrs ahead of you..and maybe Kob may need to borrow it someday from you.
Out-
DB9

i'm good. thanks for the concern though!

hey why don't you go get your head checked?

------------------
against smileys

Addendum: Damnit! stupid, stupid me... I thought I'd mentioned in my post that i was making the compilation for my girlfriend.

That sorta changes stuff, huh?

[This message has been edited by SkeeK (edited 12-16-2001).]

what is your set-list of songs on this CD compilation ???????????????
Then , we can talk about something ,
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

So Cruel , is ok , but instead of this tune , you can add , say , for example , Sattelite Of Love ( b-side from one of the 'Achtung Baby ' singles ) very cool , LoL !
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Peace & Love , Lo0ve & Peace and .................
Bom tili bom , i love speedball ,

Well,
The first thing I do when someone gives me a CD is listen to the music. I care more about the emotion of the song than anything else...not necessairly WHAT the song is saying at first (that comes later),but the whole aura about the song. So Cruel gives me chills (good ones). I personally, if receiving a CD with So Cruel on it, wouldn't mind.
I do think, however, that you should explain to your girlfriend that's it's not so much a CD about your feelings, but rather that it's a compilation of your favouite songs--maybe explain to her why So Cruel means so much to you. I'm sure she'll understand that the song in mind has nothing to do with your feelings for HER
smile.gif

SO Cruel is such a rare and gorgeous song. If the song means that much to you (and it sounds like it does), then you HAVE TO share it. It's too good to keep to yourself.

Who knows? Maybe she'll learn to love it as much as you do!

Hmmm well SkeeK, we both love So Cruel, however, if you dont think its appropriate, put on "All I want Is You" instead. Or Ultraviolet. Those are both very good songs, and probably fitting to the mood you may be wishing to set. On the other hand, I may not know what Im talking about. But if youre worried about giving her the wrong impression by putting So Cruel on the cd, just get the foldout of the jewel case and justify each of the song selections... I dont know, Im just tryina suggest things, theres no right answer we can give you, cuz when it comes down to it, its up to you.

I don't know how large of a U2 fan your girlfriend is... if she is a pretty big fan, then she will appreciate the tune for what it is. If she is not then she may misunderstand what you are trying to say. I am just trying to put myself in her place (oh yes, we all wish to be SkeeK's girlfriend... now is our chance to pretend
tongue.gif
wink.gif
)
I would actually have to say leave it off just because I know that when I listen to a c.d. given to me by someone special, I usually sit back and listen to the songs very closely and try to see where they are coming from. I think that if a person makes you a personalized c.d. then it is saying something about how they feel towards you or your situation together. She may listen to it and think "am I cruel?"
biggrin.gif

I don't know, it is just a very bitter sweet song.

OH WAIT I'm going back and re-reading your post SkeeK... this is more of a compilation of your favorite songs than a dedication... well in that case yes add it definately! There's no denying that you love the song, and it's a great one, so go with it.

geez, I just wrote a mess... I have got to get my shite together this morning (afternoon, but morning for me)
biggrin.gif

It depends on what the purpose of this cd is.

If you want to give her a representation of your favourite songs, and So Cruel is one of them, then put it on.

If you want to make a U2 cd for her, to introduce her to the music, or to give her a sampling of the types of songs you think she may like, then I'd leave it off. Just in case she goes home and overanalyzes the whole thing.

Originally posted by anitram:
Just in case she goes home and overanalyzes the whole thing.

A girl who overanalyes? Nooooo?

------------------
~ME THREE

Don't get sentimental
It always ends up drivel

I was at a WEDDING a couple of weeks ago where that song was played.
eek.gif

I was actually kind of surprised because most of the other songs played were the usual sweet and convetional songs that get played at weddings. Actually, I thought most of the choices were good but nothing too out of the ordinary. So as to your dilemma, I'm not sure. I love the song, but it really is kind of nasty. I don't think your girlfriend would be that likely to take the song as being somehow directed at HER. But I guess you never know.

------------------
One day we'd reach the great ocean
At the end of a pale afternoon
And we'd lay down our heads just like we were sleeping
And be towed by the drag of the moon

-Sting

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom