Moonlight Sonata is the best song in the history of man...and woman too.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnny Swallow

Bad Daddy Johnny
Nothing else will ever come close.

If they had spray paint back in Beethoveen's day, the side of his house would have read 'Beethoveen is God'.

That is the most awesome song...AMEN Brother!!
biggrin.gif

------------------
"you know we got a stormy kind of love..."

Originally posted by TylerDurden:
Some bitchin' remixes on the single too...

Har har!
biggrin.gif
*lmao*

P.S. I love to fall asleep to Moonlight Sonata...turned low...lotsa pillllowwssszzzzzzzzzzzz...

------------------
"you know we got a stormy kind of love..."

Try this:

Try playing Moonlight Sonata really fast, in a swing way. It sounds just like In the Mood!
But better!

I did this a few times, very funny!

The radio version cuts some out...Beethoven is a sellout.

------------------
They want you to be Jesus
They'll go down on one knee
But they'll want their money back
If you're alive at thirty-three
And you're turning tricks
With your crucifix
You're a star

"I can't watch a man sing a song. He gets all emotional, he starts swaying...it's embarrassing!" -- Jerry Seinfeld

...and the video has nothing to do with the song...it cheapens the damn thing!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
Nate

"Sometimes I feel like I dont' know
Sometimes I feel like checking out
I wanna get it wrong
Can't Always be strong
And love it won't be long..."

-Ultraviolet

As a pianist, I have to disagree. While it is a great piece (and really easy to play - at least the first movement), there are soooo many pieces out there that are much better. Beethoven himself even once said "Surely I've written better pieces than that" in reference to the moonlight.

Anyway, in terms of serene quiet pieces, the first movement is up there, but if you want some really cool music, listen to his Appassionata Sonata or Tempest Sonata.

Then there's all those other composers...
biggrin.gif

Just a brief list of some of my favorites:
Brahms: 2nd Piano Concerto, Impromptus Op. 116, Op. 119 (Rhapsody especially)
Chopin: Nocturne in Cm, Op. 48 No.1; "Heroic" Polonaise in A-flat, Op. 53
Debussy: Almost all of the preludes, although Sunken Cathedral is a favorite, Claire de Lune, Arabesques, Images...
Liszt: Liebestraum No. 3 (although the entire set is really nice); Vall?e d'Obermann (big epic piece...I love playing it, even though it's really hard!)
Rachmaninoff: Prelude in Bm, Op. 23 No. 10 (I think), Melodie Op. 3, 2nd Piano Concerto (especially the 2nd movement)
Scriabin: Etude in C#m, Op. 2 No.1

and much much more - and this is only piano music
smile.gif

Anyway...sorry for that...it's been a while since I've had the chance to talk about classical music, and I miss it.
biggrin.gif

Chopin is the absolute best, for me, though I love Beethoven. I don't play the piano a whole lot any more
frown.gif
but when I was taking lessons and started playing Chopin I knew I wouldn't mind if I never got to play anything by anyone else ever again.

Do you play professionally, Diemen? A lot of the stuff on your list is definitely out of my league.

------------------
You say I'm a fool
You say I'm nothing
But if I'm a fool for you
Oh, that's something

[This message has been edited by scatteroflight (edited 09-03-2001).]

Originally posted by scatteroflight:
Do you play professionally, Diemen? A lot of the stuff on your list is definitely out of my league.

Not professionally (yet), though I just graduated with a degree in piano pedagogy, so the last four years have been pretty intensive studying, practicing and playing piano.
smile.gif

I always liked the Moonlight Sonata (I assume we are talking about the 1st movement?) because it was easy to learn and impressed a lot of people.
biggrin.gif

But it looks like I won't be able to wow Diemen with my fantastic rendition of it (damn), so perhaps I'll have to think of some other attention-getting device.
wink.gif

-sula

Originally posted by Diemen:
As a pianist, I have to disagree. While it is a great piece (and really easy to play - at least the first movement), there are soooo many pieces out there that are much better. Beethoven himself even once said "Surely I've written better pieces than that" in reference to the moonlight.

Such as my standard, the Baby Elephant Walk by Henry Mancini.

------------------
They want you to be Jesus
They'll go down on one knee
But they'll want their money back
If you're alive at thirty-three
And you're turning tricks
With your crucifix
You're a star

"I can't watch a man sing a song. He gets all emotional, he starts swaying...it's embarrassing!" -- Jerry Seinfeld

Moonlight Sonata is great, but not the greatest... I personally prefer Pachelbel's Canon, both Ave Marias and Air on G String.

Tori Amos, now that's great piano music.

foray

I personally prefer Pachelbel's Canon

Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

*Diemen runs for his life*
biggrin.gif

The only time I tolerate that piece is if I just can't fall asleep, because that's a guaranteed fall asleep song
wink.gif

I wouldn't call it the worst piece in classical music, but let's just say it's nowhere on my top 100 list of favorite classical pieces.
biggrin.gif

The fact that I've had to suffer through performances of it by mediocre-at-best high school orchestras probably doesn't help it's value to me, either...
wink.gif

for me, the best composer ever is Mozart; just listen "Requiem in D Minor", its the best piece of music in the history of music!

Originally posted by Diemen:
Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

*Diemen runs for his life*
biggrin.gif

The only time I tolerate that piece is if I just can't fall asleep, because that's a guaranteed fall asleep song
wink.gif

I wouldn't call it the worst piece in classical music, but let's just say it's nowhere on my top 100 list of favorite classical pieces.
biggrin.gif

The fact that I've had to suffer through performances of it by mediocre-at-best high school orchestras probably doesn't help it's value to me, either...
wink.gif

Diemen, I don't think it's a terrible piece, it's just not an amazing one either--and it has become a huge cliche. You can't walk into a gift shop without hearing it playing with wave noises in the background.
biggrin.gif
What do you think of the Four Seasons by Vivaldi, for instance? I really like them but they too have become cliches.

Oh, and I was once in one of those mediocre-at-best high school strings/orchestra groups, scraping away on my violin.
biggrin.gif
Actually, my teachers always thought I was good enough that they hassled me to take private lessons. But private piano lessons were plenty for me. I really never play the violin any more so sometimes I wish now I'd done more about it
frown.gif

Back
Top Bottom