MOFO and PLEASE Live on MTV (1997) = Brilliance!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hoodlem

War Child
I just finished watching these vidoes of U2 at the MTV Video Awards in '97. I have seen these many times before but I was completely overwhelmed by the intensity and brilliance of it all. I had chills and the whole bit. I really think they were at the top of their game back in those days. As I was sitting there watching I could not believe that that is the most reviled and hated period of the bands history. I just can't believe that! POP is not my favorite album but it is by no means a bad album and with a bit more work it could have been there best ever. Even if its not your particular favorite style of U2, I don't understand how people can not at least appreciate what they were trying to do at that time and see the brilliance of it. POPMart is still the greatest show I have ever seen.

Discuss...

Pop is one of U2's best albums and Popmart was one of U2's best tours. The enrgy and intensity on those Popmart shows was amazing! I still love to listen to the Sarajevo and São Paulo concerts and watch the Mexico City VHS. They're all great and very rock n' roll!

I never watched the Please performance on MTV. I've watched the Mofo performance and it's probably the best oppening the MTV Awards ever had I think.

I seem to recall Bono's wife saying that the performance of Please was one of the band's worst ever.

Did you see ZooTV or Elevation?

I did see Elevation (inside the heart, right in front of Edge) and it was quite good. But it just didn't excite me as much as POPmart did. I guess I'm a sucker for flashy lights and silly costumes.

I never did see the ZOO. I am guessing that would have been my favorite. But I will sadly never know.

I hope they have some fun tricks up there sleeves for this next tour, but I know it will be great reguardless.

But, my point was, late 90's U2 is severely underrated.

I seem to recall Bono's wife saying that the performance of Please was one of the band's worst ever.

She is too close to the work to have a valid opinion. Although, I would say the the Mexico City performance was 10 times better.

Last edited:
Phalanx said:

Fascinating. Even Chris Rock seemed impressed, before launching into a "Bono looks like the Unibomber" riff.

Back
Top Bottom