"MLK"...DREAMS REALIZED INTO "STREETS" DAWNING FLAMES

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spanisheyes

Forum Moderator, The Goal Is Soul
Miami, New Orleans, London, Belfast, and Berlin
While listening to both The Unforgettable Fire and The Joshua Tree recently, I had this visual stream of consciousness happen of a possible relationship between The Unforgettable Fire's closing song, MLK, and The Joshua Tree's opening song, Where The Streets Have No Name.

MLK's verse is alive in translucent images of Martin Luther King posthumously asleep in the context of his labors in giving his life for freedom and civil rights, the ultimate sacrifice for all people, of all races, that someday his dreams would become reality, despite the thunderstorm of prejudice and injustice that may come. Here rain seems to be represented in his reward for his perseverance that would come to water the seeds sown in his "I Have a Dream" speech, represented in his life work thereafter, and through the lives of many others who would choose to pick up the mantle of change?"in the name of love"?

Sleep
Sleep tonight
And may your dreams
Be realized
If the thundercloud
Passes rain
So let it rain
Let it rain
Rain on him

This beautiful hymn of release closes out with a poignant, organ postlude that is like the ending of the longest day, like a hush that comes to break the moments of uncertainty and unrest?the setting of the sun that leaves no shadows, only scars?scars that need the rest of night.

What I noticed is that this organ postlude picks up again at the beginning of Streets with the familiar organ prelude to The Edge's chiming guitar that sounds like the dawning of a new day, with new, and infinite possibilities. I would encourage anyone to listen to Streets with the sun rising and you will see how The Edge's guitar paints the colors of orange and blue against the canvas sky, a landscape of promise and hope. Then Bono adds his painting in words and verse that are all at once celebratory, because they speak of the change and difference we can make in the face of our fears and limitations?to reach out and touch the flame of transformation from night to day, from wrong to right, from blindness to sight?

I want to run
I want to hide
I want to tear down the walls
That hold me inside
I want to reach out
And touch the flame
Where the streets have no name

I want to feel sunlight on my face
I see the dust cloud disappear
Without a trace
I want to take shelter from the poison rain
Where the streets have no name

Chris

Chris!
That's awesome! I can't believe I never picked up that sonic connection before...I guess I never played those albums in chronological sequence before. Gives me chills just thinking about it! To say nothing of the thematic connection, beautifully drawn here, I might add. I'm really digging your riffs on the songs, and yes, your email's in my U2 address book, now.
smile.gif

God bless,
Deb D

------------------
***Grace makes beauty out of ugly things***

the greatest frontman in the world -- by truecoloursfly: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=1575

[This message has been edited by truecoloursfly (edited 10-25-2001).]

Chris,

You?re right, after reading your post I can notice that sonic link, it?s there. Nothing much to add. You?re an oustanding fan. You put your heart into your words.

------------------
Seu pa?s ? lindo. Seu povo ? lindo. Suas vozes s?o lindas. N?o esqueceremos voc?s. - Bono - S?o Paulo - 01/31/1998

Wow, now that you mentioned it, I see what you mean. I hadn't thought about it like that...how MLK does sort of flow right into Streets. I think that would be AWESOME to hear live.

As far as the sunrise, that's the mental picture I've often associated with the intro to Streets, especially as the organ slowly gives way to Edge's guitar. To me, it is a sonic representation of the day's dawning.

------------------
"Yeah, we'll shine like stars in the summer night, we'll shine like stars in the winter night. One heart, one hope, one love."

Awesome! I never noticed that before. You've had some really neat posts lately...

smile.gif

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

I noticed a while back, meant to post about it, but I never did. I made some U2 Cds to take around in my car, and I put that transition on it, it's grrrrrreat.

LOL@sonic...I haven't heard that word describing a U2 song in sooo long...every article from Boy to War always seemed to mention that word at least once when discussing these albums.

Chris

P.S...LOL@neat...I haven't heard that word describing a Chris post in sooo long Laura
wink.gif

I can't believe I never noticed that (or maybe I did and have forgotten!) but the flow makes perfect sense. I'll have to listen to them back to back soon--thanks!!

------------------
Love is the heartbeat of the universe

MLK into Streets live would be amazing...I'm also thinking Bad with an MLK ending into Streets would be so sweet as well.

I'm still hoping that U2 will bring back MLK for this 3rd leg...it is a very appropriate song for our times right now.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom