Mix's and changing to lyrics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Party Boy

Refugee
Toronto. From Kildare, Ireland originally.
Question to all who are upset/ranting about the new mixes of songs on new best of compilation and also the changing of lyrics (as on Mysterious Ways).

Isn't getting a new mix an added bonus? I am sure the vast majority of people on this forum have the original versions of the songs. Getting a compilation which includes new versions of old songs to me is a brilliant idea! Instead of one version, you now have two versions of some songs! What is wrong with this?

Of course, the choice to like or dislike the new version is not affected but man, I'd much rather be given the choice, I will take U2 updating/changing old songs any day over sticking the same songs we all have onto a compilation which they did on the 80 - 90 compilation (which in my humble opinion is a boring compilation and wasted opportunity to compile a much better collection than what was delivered).

What chances U2 re-releasing 80-90 compilation with some new mixes? Now that would be good!

Rant over! Enjoy the new mixes

Somebody said "You'd be damed if you do, you'd be damed if you dont" So obviously U2 chose the former. Even if they had put on a compilation after a fan voting, we'd be getting more or less same kind of threads with few more "sold out", "safe", forty something" in it.

U2 has been around for more than 20 years. A lot has changed, but unfortunately its fan base's musical tastes hasnt. Although there are certain elements that make a U2 sound, but in essence there is no such thing as U2 sound. It has changed with every album on some radically and to a lesser extent on others. Sometimes this change can be a bit too much to cope with, with passing of time it will fall into place much easily. What I am trying to say here, a person who became a fan with Joshua Tree, would have found hard to appreciate Achtung Baby in 1992, but much easier in, say 1997-99.

Good point and I agree with everything you say.

I find it slightly strange that any reworking of something old into something new could be possibly frowned upon. Granted what becomes new may not be everyones cup of tea, but at least they have the orignal version to fall back on!

Personally I love all the new mixes because they are different to the originals. They are a different perspective, a perspective maybe that has come with the years since they were first realeased. I think if U2 were to write any of their old stuff again, they would do it differently because they have experienced so much in the subsequent years. I don't think there is anything wrong with this. In fact, it adds a lot of maturity to songs that maybe they aren't connecting with at present.

I admire U2 for doing this - in a way it is putting their hands up and saying that some of the stuff we released in the last 10 years could be improved upon. Whatever the reason, I'm grateful for it!

Party Boy said:
Isn't getting a new mix an added bonus? I am sure the vast majority of people on this forum have the original versions of the songs. Getting a compilation which includes new versions of old songs to me is a brilliant idea! Instead of one version, you now have two versions of some songs! What is wrong with this?
personally I agree with you
the people who don't agree usually mention that it seems as if U2 are ashamed of the original songs
IMO opinion if they really wre ashamed of those songs they just wouldn't have picked them but put "The Fly", "Whose gonna ride ..." and/or "Lemon" on there
which did about the same on the charts

my opinion is that since ATYCLB was released - and it didn't fit in what many posters here expect from U2 - U2's actions are firstly looked upon in a negative instead of a positive way

One thing I've learned is to always expect the unexpected when it comes to U2! And that is the secret of their success and their popularity. Once they start doing what people expect, then I'm sure their popularity will wane.

why it seems that way

Okay, I'm not talking about the Mysterious Ways or Lemon mixes. Its only the mixes from Pop that set me thinking. Whether you listen to the single mixes of IGWSHA and Please or the recent mixes of Discotheque and Gone ( I havent heard the SATS one yet), you cant shake off the feeling that they have added a fullness to the songs. The instrumentation and vocals seem louder, clearer and more like Pre-Zooropa U2, less like the actual Pop. I could distinctly feel this with the new Gone. Now why would U2 do this to songs from Pop. I dont have anything against remixing songs and bringing out an alternate version but why would they make these versions sound less like the actual album and more like old U2??? That's why the apologising part came to mind.

WOW, I actually agree completely with Salome'. Isnt that a sign of the apocalypse??? ;)

I said this in another similiar thread. People are acting like the original versions of these songs are going to evaporate from their original CD's when this is released. I'am MUCH more excited about this Best Of than I was the first one. Two new songs and re-workings of 4 others is outstanding IMO.

i like that they put the new mixes on there. people have heard the original mysterious ways, etc., and if they want to hear it soooo bad, then get achtung baby! it certainly wouldn't be a waste of money! :D

Party Boy said:
Question to all who are upset/ranting about the new mixes of songs on new best of compilation and also the changing of lyrics (as on Mysterious Ways).

Funny how people are now complaining about U2 tweaking their songs for this new installment of the Best Of. For the Best Of 1980-1990, U2 did the following:
-shortened "Streets"
-re-recorded Sweetest Thing from the ground up
-tweaked Bad (some "oooh ooohs" were omitted)

Now, U2 remixes 4 songs, and changes lyrics in 1 song - so that's 5 tweaked songs as compared to 3 in the previous collection - so big deal! Many sound so surprised U2 decided to rework their songs, when they already did this in the previous compilation album. It's nothing new or surprising. U2 just wants to make something better - you can't blame them for wanting to improve on their work.

Cheers,

J

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom