mixing an album??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lew07

The Fly
How long does it take to mix a u2 album? like, how long fromthe time they complete their studio sessions, to when the album comes out, on an average??

Dorian Gray said:
i think mixing usually takes them 3-5 months...

Thats about right. U2 is really picky when it comes to mixing. On Pop they were mixing and recording the day it was due to be mastered. In the long run its worth it though. Its tough being a U2 fan..... :mad:

Too bad the band doesn't even out on mixing opinions like REM does. Half of REM (at least circa the pre-1997 years) would have released an album of demos, while the other two members would still be mixing the tracks of their first CD, to paraphrase a quote.

Well when it comes to mixing the album there is most likely a definite deadline. Once tracks have been finished and enough have been collected and blessed for an album release then the band and the label come up with a possible release date and shoot for it. I think if they are mixing right now, this is the situation. They might be mixing until late July for all we know, but as long as the album is in the label's hands for mastering by August then October is a safe bet.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure they already have mixed some of the songs they've made already.

I think mixing is deciding which instruments/sound effects will be featured more and which ones less, and how the vocal will fit in.

Producing, I think, is choosing the type of arrangement for the songs.

Yep. Mixing is taking all the recorded elements of a song, and putting them together as a whole. It also involves EQ, effects, panning left or right. It can make or break a tune. It's also the moment at which you decide a tune is DONE. It's one thing to record a guitar track, it's a totally different thing to set up how that guitar will sit in the song.

Mr. Brau do you ever listen to a song (U2 or otherwise) and hear parts that should have been mixed higher or lower in the song? I do every once in awhile, and it drives me crazy.

I hope they leave the Edge's guitar higher in the mix, that's what I want!!

like when Lanois turns up Bono's guitar in he Joshua Tree dvd!!!! lol

Lanois:" ..and trhis is bono's guitar!"
bono: "no one's ever said that before..." :eyebrow:

The U2 songs that I can personally pick out parts that need tinkering musically are songs from Pop. Especially "Miami".

If anyone here has cool edit pro, going into channel mixing and using the vocal cut option is really interesting with some U2 songs. Try it with Mofo, you'll here stuff I bet you never even knew was in the mix.

Back
Top Bottom