Missing is...(SPOILER)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DebbieSG

Refugee
Well I didn't see the webcast, but I notice from the threads that they didn't play BTBS (or The Fly). So I guess the boys are steering clear of the big political statement. The setlist does seem to be a direct comment on the events in NYC, just telling the whole story.

A friend viewing the webcast told me Bono talked about "each of us changing the world, just ordinary people." So he has chosen to offer personal hope and inspiration, rather than make a rhetorical stand or talk about the painful subject of violence. Seems like the right route to me, anyone else have any comments?

Seems like the only route to me; the high road that is so difficult to find, let alone travel.

------------------
...a highway with no one on it, a treasure just to look upon it...

"The skeletal structure of your foot is not normal." -- my podiatrist 8-6-01

I was hoping somebody would start a thread about this. I wanted to, but I couldn't figure out how to without giving it away...good subject!

At first, I was a little disappointed that they took out "Bullet"...but I think it may have been the best decision. Bono's speech was grand...the entire show was.

I am very proud to say I am a U2 fan.

------------------
"But you take what you can get,
Cuz it's all that you can find,
But you know there's something more,
Tonight, tonight, tonight...

Also, I was kinda bummed that "The Fly" was gone too...cuz I loved watchin' Bono go *splat!* on the screen!
biggrin.gif

------------------

firstly bonochick... hahahahaha "bono go splat"
you crack me up! hahahaha
that IS one fo the best parts of the gig and I was so pissed off that I didnt get a pic of it in London.

yeah did you all notice he changed the lyrics of POE back. Took out the "'never' gonna be peace on earth".

*sigh*
that gig was so amazing, im still feeling chills...

Bono didn't go splat opening night, damn! I wanna see Bono go splat!!!

I'm sorry but I really missed Fly and Discotheque, and Bullet for that matter. They just gave the concert an extra edge some added personality, a bit of "a kick in the balls". I see how the concert has taken on a different meaning, but I also thought it was a bit overload at times. Like WOWY and I SHFWILF back to back was a bit much. Yeah I agree it adds emotion, but it is still a concert and there's just this release of angst with Bullet, and relaxation with something more pop like Discotheque and Fly.

I didn't like Elevation at the end, I missed the opening so I'm not gonna say BD is better or anything. But I just think that considering the end they want for it, the powerful POE/Walk On, I think they should definately start out strong and slowly move to ending. I don't know it just felt outta of place as well as Mysterious Ways.

Don't get me wrong I loved the show, and Bono's speech was to the point though it was rather choppy (spel?). He was obviously looking for the right words and trying really hard to explain his train of thought because it's a view people are
having a hard time understanding and he didn't to offend anyone (especially with all the cops and firefighters waiting for him bacstage
wink.gif
) .

Great show overall and I'm completely amazed at the quality of the webcast. GO EDGE!!!!

------------------
Tha Prickly Comedian

I thought it was highly appropriate that they did not play Bullet.

In addition, I thought moving Elevation to an encore instead of opening the show was very tactful as well.

I sorely missed The Fly (and, to a much lesser extent, BTBS)...especially when tired old warhorses like Pride are still in the mix.

I also prefer Elevation as the opener although I like mixing it up a little bit. The show was a bit short, clocking in at exactly 2.00hrs with a 10-minute (seemingly) Bono speech. They could definitely find room for The Fly.

JESUS! Some of you people are just NEVER happy. Man, I get sick of people bitching about the setlist. Would you rather they didnt come back???!! If they werent mixing up things everyone would be bitching that they were playing the same old setlist.

I also loved the Fly. But I didnt think it ruined the show because it wasnt played. Also, I didnt feel like Pride was an old warhorse tonight with its new spot in the setlist. It got one of the biggest reactions of the night from the crowd. Come on people, look at the big picture. U2 is back and still kickin ass and mixing up things a bit. How on earth is that a bad thing?

As far as the length of the setlist, I didnt even notice. A great show is a great show. I didnt hear anyone leaving the arena tonight saying "Geez, they should have played 5 to 10 more minutes, that sucked". In fact it was the exact opposite.

[This message has been edited by Blue Room (edited 10-11-2001).]

I missed Bullet. I missed The Fly.

Yep. I missed both.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

I think the Fly will pop up here and there. Personally I'd rather see that again than Until the End of the World or Mysterious Ways, if it came down to an Achtung Baby song

Originally posted by Blue Room:
JESUS! Some of you people are just NEVER happy. Man, I get sick of people bitching about the setlist. Would you rather they didnt come back???!! If they werent mixing up things everyone would be bitching that they were playing the same old setlist.

I also loved the Fly. But I didnt think it ruined the show because it wasnt played. Also, I didnt feel like Pride was an old warhorse tonight with its new spot in the setlist. It got one of the biggest reactions of the night from the crowd. Come on people, look at the big picture. U2 is back and still kickin ass and mixing up things a bit. How on earth is that a bad thing?

As far as the length of the setlist, I didnt even notice. A great show is a great show. I didnt hear anyone leaving the arena tonight saying "Geez, they should have played 5 to 10 more minutes, that sucked". In fact it was the exact opposite.

[This message has been edited by Blue Room (edited 10-11-2001).]

AMEN! Some people are not happy unless they can gripe about something.

I think the Fly will reappear later, it just didn't fit the flow for this show! I thought Still haven't found was PERFECT! Didn't realize how much I've missed it.
smile.gif

Just for the record... I did NOT miss "Bullet..." I've never really been a fan of that song. I enjoyed it during POPMart, but that was about it. And with recent world events, the song should have a mini-retirement.

"Pride" - while being a "war horse" - should continue to get played as this song means so much to so many. Plus, I feel it's a far superior song (and definitely generates a better crowd reaction) than "Bullet."

"The Fly" may come back. Just because it wasn't played in ND doesn't mean it is gone entirely.

I think our beloved and once intrepid U2 were a bit weary last night. That is, they were concerned (at least from my POV) about how to rationalize the excesses of a rock concert in the face of war. Therefore, let's give U2 the benefit of the doubt here. Some songs may return to the setlist as the third leg of the tour progresses.

Personally, I enjoyed the vastly altered set-list and the inclusion of some new songs. It added a spark to the concert that "Bullet" would not have provided (at least for me).

They also didn't play I Will Follow, Out Of Control or 11 O'Clock Tick Tock. I hope they haven't dropped all pre-War material for good.

Apart from that, I think last night's setlist looks very good. I wouldn't be too worried about The Fly. It might not be played every night but I think it might pop up here and there during Leg 3.

YES!!!!! If the whiners, bitchers, and complainers would just STAY HOME, tickets would be easier to get, and everyone would shut up already. They didn't play Two Hearts Beat as One, either, but I'm not going to bellyache about it. I'll go to the show, enjoy it, love it, and not complain.

------------------
...a highway with no one on it, a treasure just to look upon it...

"The skeletal structure of your foot is not normal." -- my podiatrist 8-6-01

As for me, I'm not bitching at all! I was just stating my thoughts on their choices. Whatever they pick is FINE with me...I'd listen to/watch U2 perform any song of theirs!

------------------

Originally posted by martha:
YES!!!!! If the whiners, bitchers, and complainers would just STAY HOME, tickets would be easier to get, and everyone would shut up already. They didn't play Two Hearts Beat as One, either, but I'm not going to bellyache about it. I'll go to the show, enjoy it, love it, and not complain.

Geez, no one's bitching here, but just stating their opinions. I also missed The Fly, and I also thought Elevation is a better opener. I'm just making a few suggestions. Maybe we're picky, but it's not as if we're angry or anything--not by a longshot. The show was still incredible, and I'll be happy if they play Red Light, Playboy Mansion, Daddy's Gonna Pay, and The Ocean!

------------------
Change is the only constant

Back
Top Bottom