Miss Sarajevo appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

annie_vox

Refugee
I don't think there was an appreciation thread of this song do I decided to open one.

Miss Sarajevo means a lot to me specially after I saw the performance on the concert. I love everything about this song... The lyrics are just great. In my opinion they mix the greatest problems of the world like racism( "Is there a time for different colours, Different names you find it hard to spell"), terrorism and fear ("Is there a time for keeping your head down, For getting on with the day") , religion conflicts("Is there a time to turn to Mecca") with beauty in a way that I've never seen before (or even after).

Then the italian is such a magnificent sound. It really hits home for me...

This song is great because it was written with a very special ink.............................Bono's Heart.............................
It's a wonderful song, and it sounded amazing live...................I bet Bono put a piece of Bob Hewson in this song, too in 1995 when he wrote it..............................

:applaud: totally agree with both of you...
what a wonderful song, a piece of art
Bono's heart is capable of such wonderful things in the world
Bono's heart & mind=8th wonder of the world

Much better live piano song than Running , Amazing Amazing song , Miss Sarajevo :rockon:

One of the most gorgeous songs ever, not only for U2 but for anyone! Such understated verses, amazing build up and ecstatic climax! Love it! :heart:

katiebu21 said:
It's a good song...I have to say I really didn't care for it all that much until I saw it performed live. Then I think what got me was Bono singing Pavarotti's part. :drool:

:yes: I totally agree with you, Katie, I gained a huge appreciation for the song after seeing it live......:heart: One of the things I really liked about it live was being able to see the emotion while Bono was singing it :cute:

vivalapopedge said:

:yes: I totally agree with you, Katie, I gained a huge appreciation for the song after seeing it live......:heart: One of the things I really liked about it live was being able to see the emotion while Bono was singing it :cute:

yeppers! I agree too!!:wink: I :heart: this song so much! Even before seeing it performed live whenever I would play it the opera part would give me goosebumps every time. Then... I saw it live right in front of me and it just sent me over the moon!!! OMG!!! Bono is so passionate and so into the song his emotion just blows me away! Goosebumps on top of goosebumps!!:drool:

Bono's singing on this live on the Vertigo tour blows me away! :bow: :combust:

Zootlesque said:

umm... I hate to ask this, I really do but do you not like anything 90s? :wink:
I love lots of stuff from the 90's AB is my 2nd favorite album (for now, cuz HTDAAB and October are creeping up), and Zooropa is in my top 5. :D I just don't like some of the slowish songs like this or love is blindness. Too dramatic for my tastes I guess. I'm not too fond of the Passengers album I suppose. I kinda like what people would label as the "typical" sound of U2. :shrug:

catlhere said:
I love lots of stuff from the 90's AB is my 2nd favorite album (for now, cuz HTDAAB and October are creeping up), and Zooropa is in my top 5. :D I just don't like some of the slowish songs like this or love is blindness. Too dramatic for my tastes I guess. I'm not too fond of the Passengers album I suppose. I kinda like what people would label as the "typical" sound of U2. :shrug:

I don't think Zooropa is "typical" U2 sound:hmm: With Lemon and Daddy's Gonna pay and Numb... But it's just an opinion :up: I really love this album too ;)

annie_vox said:

I don't think Zooropa is "typical" U2 sound:hmm: With Lemon and Daddy's Gonna pay and Numb... But it's just an opinion :up: I really love this album too ;)
Very true. I think Zooropa is the only "out there" U2 that I really adore. That album is :drool: But Pop and Passengers are kinda low on my list of favs. Although I like every album. No stinkers. :D

On Topic: L'amoooooooooooooooooooooooooooreeeeeeeeeee! :rockon:

While I enjoy the opera bit, I feel Running to stand still has been the superior song on this tour.

U2girl said:
While I enjoy the opera bit, I feel Running to stand still has been the superior song on this tour.

I agree that Running To Stand Still stood out, it was absolutely amazing but I was still impressed with Miss Sarajevo. It's not a song I ever thought they would do live because it doesn't seem like a song that could be done well...but they did it very well. :yes:

Last edited:
I coulnt see them doing miss sarajevo live, but it came across alot better than i thought it did. the operatic part bono does was pretty show stopping! and its a great song, i cant bear to watch the video its too harrowing what with all the sarajevo bombing footage.

Is the album version the same as the one on the DVD? Personally I think the version on the ABOY single is great. It's my second most played on iTunes behind Interpol's Narc.

Back
Top Bottom