Miracle song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corner

Acrobat
This isn't usually my kinda thing...I've never really started or contributed that much to an appreciation thread before, but tonight I listened to MD from a Radio 1 live session last year. Christ, but that's an Almighty mother of a song :faint:

Regardless of whether you like the infamous line 'Freedom has a scent, like the top of a newborn baby's head' (I actually think its magic), the guitar that kicks in during 'the songs' makes me feel euphoric. The middle section with the echoed 'Oh Oh Oh.....Oh oh oh' bit is spine tingling too - unbelievable singing! Just when I think it can't get better, a guitar solo rips through me and explodes inside my head, followed by the beautiful (but sadly, rare) sound of Edge taking over lead vocals.

Anyways, I just love this song and can't understand why some people think this is a good 'toliet break/going to the bar' song. Anybody feel this way or more like what I was talking about above?

Earnie Shavers said:
Must. Hold. Back.

Haha.. lemme guess. You're gonna say it's nothing new. They've done it all before.. right? And I agree somewhat. It's still one of the best songs on HTDAAB. As for how it compares with the classics, I won't go there. :wink:

It's not that. There actually aren't any U2 songs that sound like Miracle Drug. I can't even think of one that sounds close. On the one hand it's because it plays into a stereotype - U2 as overdramatic, overblown, Bono over stretching his singing on Bono-cliche lyrics. Reign it all into quietness, then blow it all out with a "guaranteed hit with the fans" Edge guitar part. When people say U2 by numbers, U2-Lite, Diet U2, U2 to the formula, U2 dialing it in - Miracle Drug stands out to me moreso than anything else. It's a stereotype U2's music has always had, despite there never really being a song that truly fit that image, but now there is. It's almost a really good attempt by a band trying really hard to be U2, but falling short as all bands do because they think they have the U2 formula nailed, but don't. It sounds like U2 are doing the same thing (but of course I don't think they were deliberately doing that). On the other hand, ignoring all of that, I just think it's a rather dull song. As for how it compares to the classics? Seriously, all these setlist arguments about which great song should go to be replaced by another great song, but Miracle Drug versus what, exactly, would make you choose Miracle Drug? Name one (realistic) song.

Earnie Shavers said:
Seriously, all these setlist arguments about which great song should go to be replaced by another great song, but Miracle Drug versus what, exactly, would make you choose Miracle Drug? Name one (realistic) song.

I don't really understand that sentence. :scratch:

But MD's intro sounds eerily reminiscent of WOWY! Jick even made a mix that seals any doubt whatsoever. That said, the song progresses into something quite ambitious and very uplifting! Sure, it's trademark U2 but I like it cos at least it's not goofy/gimmicky like Vertigo or Elevation. It's the same reason why I love Peace On Earth! Serious song just like MD, done really well. U2 being unmistakably U2 and doing a good job at it.

Earnie Shavers said:
It's not that. There actually aren't any U2 songs that sound like Miracle Drug. I can't even think of one that sounds close. On the one hand it's because it plays into a stereotype - U2 as overdramatic, overblown, Bono over stretching his singing on Bono-cliche lyrics. Reign it all into quietness, then blow it all out with a "guaranteed hit with the fans" Edge guitar part. When people say U2 by numbers, U2-Lite, Diet U2, U2 to the formula, U2 dialing it in - Miracle Drug stands out to me moreso than anything else. It's a stereotype U2's music has always had, despite there never really being a song that truly fit that image, but now there is. It's almost a really good attempt by a band trying really hard to be U2, but falling short as all bands do because they think they have the U2 formula nailed, but don't. It sounds like U2 are doing the same thing (but of course I don't think they were deliberately doing that). On the other hand, ignoring all of that, I just think it's a rather dull song. As for how it compares to the classics? Seriously, all these setlist arguments about which great song should go to be replaced by another great song, but Miracle Drug versus what, exactly, would make you choose Miracle Drug? Name one (realistic) song.

Have you been to one of the shows? Hearing MD live made me a believer. I think that the lyrics are stellar, as well...which always counts for me.

It is pleasant - not a classic by any stretch of the imagination.

FM radio seemed to love it when HTDAAB was released on radio early - so it suprises me a little that they didn't give it a single release as it would have fitted in with the middle-of-the-road strategy that they have going on.

Corner's avatar is awesome though. :yes:

it is a classic, and it's one of the most important songs the band has written.

it comes off fantastic in concert, and the radio one version is probably the best that has been performed.

Zootlesque said:

But MD's intro sounds eerily reminiscent of WOWY! Jick even made a mix that seals any doubt whatsoever.

The bass notes are very similar.

That said, what stands out more IMO is the similarity between "teach me" riff in Beautiful day and the chorus guitar in Miracle Drug. But both of that works.
Like City of blinding lights, it sounds a lot like the UF era U2.

Last edited:
scottyT said:
it is a classic, and it's one of the most important songs the band has written.

it comes off fantastic in concert, and the radio one version is probably the best that has been performed.

:yes: I reckon that version has got to rate pretty high, for sure. Having said that though, some of the Vertigo tour live renditions have been incredible...with the extended middle section "Oh oh oh" (is that called the bridge?). Bono nails some gorgeous high notes during that part which send a wee shiver down my neck, each time I hear them.

Back
Top Bottom