Miracle Mercy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mercy is a grower. Should the lyrics be more minimal? I am not making my final opinion of this song b/c I am confident that it will grow on me and one day I will have an "AH HA MOMENT"...hopefully. Miracal Drug cuts to the chase. It directly confronts a global issue and is easier to understand. Miracal Drug has the ability to cease the masses and call to attention the world's most horrific problem.

Hoodlem said:
Mercy = BEST LYRICS EVER

I would totally disagree there. Mercy has some pretty good lyrics, but it's no One Tree Hill, and let's face facts, Bono's lyricism is only made brilliant when put to music. Very few of his lyrics stand alone without the music as absolutely brilliant.

Mercy versus Miracle Drug is no contest. Miracle Drug fits on the album, Mercy does not.

U2Soar said:
Ok U2SJ – two votes now for Mercy as the final track.

I didn’t ask where you got it – just thanking you for sharing it. You’re a great fan who deserved to “mysteriously” receive it!

(by the way where does Spanisheyes post these days? I miss Chris's wonderful writing). I’d love to read his review of the new album.

I appreciate you saying thanks without asking further questions about where I got it! Especcially since what I have said is the truth, I dont know where it came from before my friend got a copy! Im so glad you are enjoying it :) I am too! :love:
Anyways, I dont know where spanisheyes posts, Im sorry :sad: We keep in touch via email because we have met a few times....

Last edited:
boosterjuice said:
Miracle Drug is far superior as far as song arrangement goes. Mercy is more of an in-depth song. Miracle Drug hits you with a ton of bricks you when you first hear it. I'm not joking, if you have an ounce of emotion, it will make you cry.

Ooohh. I guess I lack an ounce of emotion.

Miracle Drug is the better song because it's more finished and doesn't ramble. Even so, I still think Miracle Drug is too short. Those 4 minutes just breeze right by, and the end of the song leaves me wanting more. (Maybe it is a drug afterall:ohmy: )

mercy does have a slightly unfinished feel to it but i absolutely love this song.
the lyrics are unbelievable.
for me, they are way more intriguing than many of those on the album.
there is that dark and desperate, yearning feel to it.
and it escalates with the way he hits some notes in this song
"your heart is aching, your heart is my home, it's fascinating, i know i'll never be alone"
wow.
mercy made me cry.
miracle drug does not make me cry.
hey, if you are lucky, hopefully they'll both make you cry :)

I think had Mercy made the album it would have been towards the end and it would be to this album what Acrobat was to Achtung Baby.

Hoodlem said:
Mercy is the better song.

Miracle Drug is great, but one of my least favorites on the album. The solo at the end is the thing that saves it from being just good.

Your opinion is your opinion, I disagree with you more than anything about your opinion. But thats just my 'O'.

Well, either my taste is weird or you are all very silly. I don't know.
What I know is that I have begun to realize that Miracle Drug is the worst song on the album and that Mercy is much much better.

Mercy is the darkest song since Acrobat.
The most emotional since Still Havent´t Found
and the best since Streets

BONOS´S VOCALS = GOD SINGING
EDGE´S ATMOSPHERE = ANGELS PLAYING GUITAR
MERCY = HEAVEN

*HANDS DOWN*

Both are good, if not great songs. Miracle Drug is U2 at the current incarnation, tightly produced structured melodic rock. And it's excellent. Mercy reminds me of U2 circa '91/'92, a little more carefree and going for the "moment" rather than the "hook".
Mercy is the best B-side they've had since then, maybe even since Joshua Tree for my tastes.

I can tell you now, that the biggest gripe against HTDAAB 2, 3, 5 years from now will be the exclusion of Mercy. It's simply an error in judgement. But maybe it doesn't fit, but you just don't leave off great tracks like that. I don't think Vertigo fits all that much thematically or sonically, but you can't leave that song off either.

It's just a mistake, thank heavens they made a great album nonetheless or the bitching would be VERY loud.

Miracle Drug is just so simple. Lyrics? None really.
Compared to what they've written before, this is quite a low standard. Musically, then what's the big deal? The chorus isn't very inspiring to me, when you're all jumping around because of Edge's verse I feel confused. A Man And A Woman, for example, is much more groundbreaking. If any song ever was U2 on autopilot, it's this.

I still like it though, it'd be madness to call it a bad song!

Hey David - Interesting comparison to Acrobat. I was thinking about that too though I was leaning towards after One Step Closer.

miracle drug is pure emotion...it does have a fave lyric of mine..,,"in science and in mediciine..I was a stranger, you took me in",but its appeal to me is primarily a gut appeal. Its the first song that has brought tears to my eyes in a good while..it just had that "it" thing for me.

Last edited:
Please tell us!

U2SJ said:

I appreciate you saying thanks without asking further questions about where I got it! Especcially since what I have said is the truth, I dont know where it came from before my friend got a copy! Im so glad you are enjoying it :) I am too! :love:
Anyways, I dont know where spanisheyes posts, Im sorry :sad: We keep in touch via email because we have met a few times....

Since you said that you received a 12 track cd could you at least tell us if the other 11 are exactly what we all have at this point?

Miracle Drug is the best song on the CD. I think its going to be one of the highlights of the tour when Edge sings his verse live, i am so excited to hear it!!!!

Back
Top Bottom