miracle drug vs. original of the species

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2Man said:

why oh WHY does this false statement keep appearing on this board??? :rant:

there are, at the very least, 4 songs on htdaab that are better than that streets-wannabe with lame joe cocker-lyrics.

Because several people have this opinion?

Right...and I guess MD isn't wannabe UF era U2? And speaking of lyrics, not much of a contest.

U2girl said:

And speaking of lyrics, not much of a contest.

even a million wrongs don't make a right.

lyrics...hmm...srsly?

"oh you look so beeeeeeaaauuutiful, toniiiight!!!!"

U2Man said:

even a million wrongs don't make a right.

lyrics...hmm...srsly?

"oh you look so beeeeeeaaauuutiful, toniiiight!!!!"

Um, "freedom has a scent like a top of a newborn baby's head"?

And agreed, at least 4 songs superior to MD on Bomb.

Studio: Original Of The Species
Live: Miracle Drug

There were only two songs off of Bomb that I thought were improved when done live and Miracle Drug was one of them. Its a shame Bono didnt work on the "grand" outro to the song he was doing in soundcheck as it supposedly made the song sound more grand/epic live.

The song that improved 10 fold live and I think was the best live song off of Bomb was City Of Blinding Lights.

U2girl said:

Um, "freedom has a scent like a top of a newborn baby's head"?

And agreed, at least 4 songs superior to MD on Bomb.

look, that line isnt 10% as cliche as the beeeeeaaaauuuutiful line. and it's only sung once whereas the lame chorus is repeated a million times in cobl.

Both choruses are weak (Edge seems to have borrowed from the "touch me, teach me" guitar part from BD - MD and BD share the title for most forced chorus), and I don't see what repeating a line has to do with how much cliche it is. ("freedom" line is worse)

OOTS > Miracle Drug
OOTS (Single Version) > OOTS (Album Version)
Last minute or so of Miracle Drug > the rest of HTDAAB :drool:

U2Man said:

look, that line isnt 10% as cliche as the beeeeeaaaauuuutiful line. and it's only sung once whereas the lame chorus is repeated a million times in cobl.

If you want to expose some obvious lyrics there’s plenty to be examined on ABs designer pop songs.

no, it's bad enough that people go completely off topic and bring up songs like cobl that arent even in the top 5 on htdaab in a thread that is about the two best songs on said album. definitely no need to go further off topic.

roy said:

If you want to expose some obvious lyrics there’s plenty to be examined on ABs designer pop songs.

...and don't forget "beautiful day - don't let it get away" (uhmmm....)

I can't say how much I love HTDAAB and the line freedom has a scent, not cliche at all.
COBL is definitely not the best song at least in my humble opinion.
As far as MD and OOTS, very hard to pick, I guess OOTS, love the piano and the strings :drool: who is singing the oh no's at the end?

Last edited:
I'm not saying COBL is the best song on Bomb. I'm just saying I think it turned out the best live out of all of them and it was the only song on the album that was drastically improved live.

roy said:

"It's allright, it's allright, it's allright"

C'mon people. Don't have a double standard. Thought most of you do.

LyricalDrug said:
Both songs are soooooo agonizingly close to being "great" U2 songs, but there's something missing in each of them for me. That's kind of how I feel about all of "Bomb."

Miracle Drug needed a great guitar outro after the final chorus, OOTS needed a few different lyrics and less Bono "do dah's" and such.

I read these threads and all I can think is "Man, if only these people were in the studio when the band were recording.....then, maybe, U2 could create music that people would like". Frustrating, you know, that the band does not read such threads for pointers.

U2Man said:

Because she's not saying it's a cliche? She's saying the line is shit. Which is true.

The beautiful line is sung five times in the song, by the way.

And it's perfectly reasonable to bring up COBL when you insist that MD and OOTS are the two best.

phillyfan26 said:

Though I concede that the 3x repetition at the end of the song is tiresome. It may work live but studio...not so much.

phillyfan26 said:

Because she's not saying it's a cliche? She's saying the line is shit. Which is true.

And it's perfectly reasonable to bring up COBL when you insist that MD and OOTS are the two best.

:up:

phillyfan26 said:

i dont think i saw u2girl write that the line was shit either. which would be false anyway.

phillyfan26 said:

not on my cd.

phillyfan26 said:

how would you feel if you started a thread about the two most beautiful women in the world and i brought up roseanne barr in that thread?

coolian2 said:
Don't worry everyone.

U2Man failed U2niversity.

i graduated from u2niversity while half of you were still swimming about in your daddy's underwear.

Back
Top Bottom