Miracle Drug...the best song on HTDAAB. - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2004, 11:40 AM   #16
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by RademR
The "top of the newborn baby's head" line kind of feels out of place to me, the line has grown on me but I still don't love it.

Bono's must really love this line though, since he uses it in Levitate also.

Old 12-29-2004, 12:32 PM   #17
The Fly

Local Time: 04:55 AM
I love this song, but yes indeed, it just sounds unfinished. Maybe another producer could make it finish.

My favourites though: LOVE AND PEACE OR ELSE and ORIGINAL OF THE SPECIES

Old 12-29-2004, 12:33 PM   #18
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by TheFlyOnTheWall
At first it was one of my all-time favourite, but now it's just worn-out. Not a classic, for sure, just a nice pop-ish song with a catchy chorus and sweet guitars... (made to be loved) It's not even close to the classics (One, WoWY, All I Want Is You...)

In your opinion.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:56 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:55 PM
I don't know if it's the best, but it's most certainly in my top 2-3 favourites on the album.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:02 PM   #20
The Fly

It's a great song...though I just can't take the part where it slows down. It just saps the song of all energy. Of course Edge returns in spectacular form for the solo, but I hate that slow part. On the CD:UK recording you could see that Bono had to keep the crowd in the song during that part. I'm just so mad at them.
huh...
Old 12-29-2004, 01:38 PM   #21
The Fly

Original. Period
Old 12-29-2004, 02:05 PM   #22
War Child

Local Time: 12:55 AM
How do people not love Original of the Species? This song has the most potential on the album to be the next HUGE U2 song!
Old 12-29-2004, 02:07 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angtre01
How do people not love Original of the Species? This song has the most potential on the album to be the next HUGE U2 song!
Hope ur right.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:09 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

It is one of the best, I think that Sometimes, Original and City are better. Those are the classics IMO.

A tie with One step closer as a very good song - that's Drug.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:09 PM   #25
Refugee

Local Time: 10:55 PM
I'm not sure if it's the best song on the album, but definitely in the top 3 or 4 for me.

One arguement that just doesn't hold water for me is "it sounds unfinished." Saying it's "unfinished" just seems odd to me. Being that this is the finished version on the studio album, I assure you it's finished--especially being we know U2 were in no huge rush to get the album out. What exactly would a "finished version" sound like if it's not the one on the album?

I also think the lyrics to this song are incredible...

"Freedom has a scent, like the top of a newborn babys head"
I dunno, maybe only people who've spent a lot of time with babies will get this one..

"There is no failure here sweetheart, just when you quit."
I was incredibly suprised to see people cringe at this line...It's perfect in the context of the song. I'm a teacher, so I end up talking to hopeless kids all the time who want to give up or who are afraid to fail. Also, my mother is disabled and often wants to give up...This is one of my favorite lines on the entire album. In the context of someone disabled, which is what the song is about, trying to overcome and sometimes failing along the way is better than never trying at all.
Old 12-29-2004, 03:22 PM   #26
The Fly

Nice to see other people appreciating Miracle drug and Yahweh, which to me are the most ecstatic songs on the album, and i feel they will be really uplifting live.

Miracle drug should be released as a single, i think it would do fine on the radiowaves.
Old 12-29-2004, 03:23 PM   #27
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by ImOuttaControl
I'm not sure if it's the best song on the album, but definitely in the top 3 or 4 for me.

It's in my top three, definitely.
Old 12-29-2004, 03:33 PM   #28
The Fly

Kudos to those riding the "Yahweh" wave. It's what "Walk on" was to ATYCLB, but it's better placed on the album and has more kick...

"Miracle Drug" is, to go cliche, close but no cigar. The ending should be more of an emtional eruption. Instead, to me, the song quietly goes away....But I'm curious to hear it live with whatever twists Bono can possibly add...
Old 12-29-2004, 08:58 PM   #29
War Child

Local Time: 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ImOuttaControl
One arguement that just doesn't hold water for me is "it sounds unfinished." Saying it's "unfinished" just seems odd to me. Being that this is the finished version on the studio album, I assure you it's finished--especially being we know U2 were in no huge rush to get the album out. What exactly would a "finished version" sound like if it's not the one on the album?

"There is no failure here sweetheart, just when you quit."
I was incredibly suprised to see people cringe at this line...It's perfect in the context of the song. I'm a teacher, so I end up talking to hopeless kids all the time who want to give up or who are afraid to fail. Also, my mother is disabled and often wants to give up...This is one of my favorite lines on the entire album. In the context of someone disabled, which is what the song is about, trying to overcome and sometimes failing along the way is better than never trying at all.
The first point...maybe instead of unfinished, I should use unpolished. One thing that struck me on first listen was that there was no clear delineation between the first chorus and the verse before it; thus, reducing it's effect as the chorus. This is my opinion and my reaction, obviously.

The second point...There is no failure here sweetheart, just when you quit. I'm not questioning its context or significance as it relates to the song's message. It's the perfect context for what Bono is trying to get across. What is making me cringe is the phrasing of the line within the song structure. It doesn't flow for me. I'll give you another example: Reason is on our side, loooove. This also makes me cringe because of how he stretches the word "love" in that verse. It's like he couldn't come up with enough syllables to fill in this line. Live, he doesn't even say "love" - probably because it makes him cringe.

Now, I don't pretend to be a better song writer or possess the ability to come up with better lines. It's just not what I'm used to coming from Bono. This is what I mean by unfinished. Given more time, he may have been able to come up with something better.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:39 AM   #30
War Child

Miracle Drug is my favorite!

Maybe not the best, but it's great.

there is no failure here sweetheart, only when you quit

how can that line make you cringe? It really applies to life. It's the truth.

And Edge singing kills me. I love it. Not to mention how good his guitar is. *sigh* this song is too good maybe.

again. IMO.