Miracle Drug appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2_Guy

Refugee
To some of you who think i'm the devil himself (or The Edge?? - go figure...), i'm starting a thread that it isn't for bashing.

It's called Miracle drug appreciation thread.

This song (i've been saying since the beach leaks) is marvellous and i think one of the best U2 songs ever. It has everything: nice melody, nice playing, wonderful lyrics and terrific vocals. I really think it's the best U2 song on the last 2 albums.

What do you guys think?

Ain't this drug the most addictive?:wink:

Listening to it right now. You're right when you say it's addictive, and one of the best songs from the last 2 albums. Great song.

(let's try not to get this thread closed eh U2_Guy!) :wink:

Aardvark747 said:
Listening to it right now. You're right when you say it's addictive, and one of the best songs from the last 2 albums. Great song.

(let's try not to get this thread closed eh U2_Guy!) :wink:

Yea... i'm yet to see what did i say to anybody on that thread that was a personal attack (other than shut up when the "80's Army" called me the "same shit") ...

Price you pay for being the easy target, i guess. Not bad either!

ZeroDude said:
A bit of banter is a good thing btw that slide solo is amazing:wink:

The solo, Edge's lines and Bono belting it out on the "the SOOOONG", that's the best U2 moment since Gone...or The Ground Beneath her Feet!

I've said this from day 1, "Miracle Drug is my favourite song on the album." However, COBL is giving it a run for its money.

I have to agree, IN SCIENCE AND IN MEDICINE sounds so good, nothingelse like it.

When the beach clips came out and I heard this song, I got really excited. The slide guitar was to die for. I kept it on repeat for most of the day and week. I expected it to be my favorite song on the album.

When I finally heard the leaked track, I was a bit disappointed because the song seemed unfinished. Even the way he stretches the word love after reason is on our side seemed to support that it's unfinished.

It's still destined to be great but I just had to get used to these "raw" parts. After hearing it live on Radio 1 and hearing Bono's story on Christopher Nolan, it took a life of its own. Then, there's the discovery of the Bono parts being Nolan's mom and The Edge part being Nolan. It's catapulted this song a few more levels.

So, this song has been a grower for me on the album.

I :heart: Miracle Drug :)
This is my favorite song of the album, I think I am driving my boyfriend nuts because I play it so often :D

You know I was originally adverse to this song because of the hype of the beach version. When I first heard it proper I thought it was nice, but sometimes I'd hit random on my CD player because it just wasn't my favorite.

Then I was outside with my son (who's eight) blasting HTDAAB and he stops what he's doing and starts singing "freedom has a scent, like the top of a newborn baby's head" and suddenly the song hit me. I asked him if he liked this song, and he said it was his favorite. He told me it's the only song on the CD that he knows most of the words to. This is odd because I've only played this album around him sparingly.

It really took hold of me after I watched the CD:UK mpg. After that I was hooked. Now I never skip this song, and I'm looking forward to a kick @$$ live version!

ZeroDude said:
I have to agree, IN SCIENCE AND IN MEDICINE sounds so good, nothingelse like it.

Edge and Bono singing... what a wonderful combination... i always love the songs where they sing lead vocals together (Lemon for example)...

U2_Guy said:

Edge and Bono singing... what a wonderful combination... i always love the songs where they sing lead vocals together (Lemon for example)...

Yes, yes, YES!!! I wish Bono and Edge would more or less duet. Trading off verses. Only because they've never done it. I'd like to say their voices compliment each other, but they're so similar that we might have a tough time figuring out which is which.

But I really wished they do something like this, I think it would be incredible.

I played a mate of mine MD the other day, and he said it Edge's bit in there doesnt count as a solo, cos' he's basically playing the same bit over and over again? I dont know how true that is, im not a guitar player, so ive no idea how difficult it is to play or anything.
It's not 'Comfortably Numb' or 'Like A Hurricane' style solo I know that much....but it's what Edge does best, and to me, it sounds fantastic!:wink:

Reggie Thee Dog said:
You know I was originally adverse to this song because of the hype of the beach version. When I first heard it proper I thought it was nice, but sometimes I'd hit random on my CD player because it just wasn't my favorite.

Then I was outside with my son (who's eight) blasting HTDAAB and he stops what he's doing and starts singing "freedom has a scent, like the top of a newborn baby's head" and suddenly the song hit me. I asked him if he liked this song, and he said it was his favorite. He told me it's the only song on the CD that he knows most of the words to. This is odd because I've only played this album around him sparingly.

It really took hold of me after I watched the CD:UK mpg. After that I was hooked. Now I never skip this song, and I'm looking forward to a kick @$$ live version!

Great story!

Whenever i play the new album to my non U2 friends or/and family and i ask them what's the best song they answer 99% of the times it's Miracle drug. It's amazing how ppl respond to the song! And when i tell the Nolan story behind it they seem to like it even more!

Aardvark747 said:
I played a mate of mine MD the other day, and he said it Edge's bit in there doesnt count as a solo, cos' he's basically playing the same bit over and over again? I dont know how true that is, im not a guitar player, so ive no idea how difficult it is to play or anything.
It's not 'Comfortably Numb' or 'Like A Hurricane' style solo I know that much....but it's what Edge does best, and to me, it sounds fantastic!:wink:

Musicians can get easily caught up in techinical definitions. I don't care whether it's a solo, a break or whatever: if it sounds great than it's great!

Its a great song, but I thought it borderline terrible when I first heard it. The bit when Edge comes in and does his vocal, then Bono follows up is definitely up there with the best U2 moments...I also love the mid-section with those ethereal distant-sounding vocals drifting about. It is things like these that make U2 a great band and elevates them above run-of-the-mill acts...oh and the coke riff coming in at the back end of the song doesn't hurt it either ;)

Sleep Over Jack said:
Its a great song, but I thought it borderline terrible when I first heard it. The bit when Edge comes in and does his vocal, then Bono follows up is definitely up there with the best U2 moments...I also love the mid-section with those ethereal distant-sounding vocals drifting about. It is things like these that make U2 a great band and elevates them above run-of-the-mill acts...oh and the coke riff coming in at the back end of the song doesn't hurt it either ;)

I love Edge's riff on this song. It's in the same vein of that If God Will Send His Angels riff... And i love this song, one of the best U2 songs for me (i know most ppl hate If God Will Send His Angels though).

IGWSHA is a good song, it just lacks that final something to make it great...I've always loved the intro where Bono sounds like he is singing below a murky mist or something...very atmospheric.

Aardvark747 said:

The slide bit is definitely a slide guitar solo, but the fast bit after that is technically not. Still, in conjunction, these two parts are better than sliced bread no matter what they're called.

It's just not The Edge's style to do Scorpions-type solos. His style is uniquely minimal but very full of passion.

Sleep Over Jack said:
IGWSHA is a good song, it just lacks that final something to make it great...I've always loved the intro where Bono sounds like he is singing below a murky mist or something...very atmospheric.

Great song. That second chorus is some of the best vocals from Bono. It's a highlight of Pop. :up:

Reggie Thee Dog said:
You know the ending of Miracle Drug - the guitar break - Edge's verse and Bono's ending just makes that whole song for me. I'm not getting the "weak ending" Miracle Drug thread.

The whole song is perfect. Musical perfection it is!

Reggie Thee Dog said:
Well, I'm not sure it's musical perfection, but I will say it has a sneaky way of seeping into your subconscious and living there...maybe that is musical perfection!?!?!

Yes! That's what musical perfection is!:)

Reggie Thee Dog said:
Well, I'm not sure it's musical perfection, but I will say it has a sneaky way of seeping into your subconscious and living there...maybe that is musical perfection!?!?!

I think he is being sarcastic ;)

Back
Top Bottom