Million Dollar Hotel--Thumbs up or down?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was an interesting idea to start with, but poorly executed. I just feel bad for Bono - he'd been hanging onto the idea since the late 80's and then the final result is a snorefest. Oh well. At least the soundtrack turned out great.

I'm just glad the "cowboy" movie with Winona Ryder didn't work out. That would've sucked.

I remember a lot of Inteferencers showing the :mad: sign and flaming/ harshly attacking Mel Gibson for calling it "boring as a dog's arse" when the movie came out. LOL...

I thought the movie was boring as hell and that is its worst sin IMO. What makes it worse is that the movie wasn't worth remembering. I can't recall the ending. I didn't think Entropy was all that great either.

Earnie Shavers said:
I haven't seen Until the End of the World (happen to know anywhere you can get this fucker on DVD?)

If you're in a good place, geographically, you can still find the VHS very easily. Give local libraries a try, as they tend to have lesser, later works by once-great directors as a way of compensating for missing the boat on earlier, important, and--what a novelty!--watchable films (just like the Grammys, incidentally enough). As for DVD, all I'm aware of is a German version of the Director's Cut. Unless you want a five-hour version of Million Dollar Hotel, though, I suggest you stay right the fuck away from that shit as though it were the plague.

I'm sure there's a theatrical cut somewhere on DVD, but nobody cares anymore because most film "fans" are so fucking retarded that they'll automatically flock to anything that says "DIRECTOR" on it. Ugh. Makes me sick.

Anyway, it is out there. You have to search and maybe you'd need to re-code your DVD player (it's not worth it, in case you're wondering), but it can be done. In any case...DO NOT BUT IT UNLESS YOU'VE ALREADY SEEN IT AND BEEN HIGH ENOUGH TO ENJOY IT!!!!!!!!!!!

u2granny said:
How's this..I liked it more than Entropy.

I agree on that one. It is not in my top 20 movie list for sure , but I guess I am going to be one of the few people to say I really liked it. Even bought the DVD not too long ago. I do have a more unusual taste in movies, and usually don't go for the big mainstream box office hits.

I truly enjoyed it watching with the commentaries. It made the movie even more interesting. Great tidbit about Edge's :edge: name in there. We finally learn where the guy really got the nickname from.

Wim Wenders is really a great director. I love his style. It's very suddle. Wim Wender's "Wings of Desire" is a masterpiece in my opinion. If you can't stomach Bono's movie, then watch that one instead. Much better than the remake with Meg Ryan/Nicolas Cage's City of Angels.

Last edited:
Million Dollar Hotel seriously was a dreadful movie. I want to say something good about it because Bono played a major role in it, but I can't....absolutely awful

I actually enjoyed it....call me crazy. Nothing to do with Bono...I just whole-heartedly liked the movie for some reason...

That being said which scene does Bono have the cameo in, 'cause I definently did NOT see him (according to IMDB he has a cameo)

bono_212 said:
I actually enjoyed it....call me crazy. Nothing to do with Bono...I just whole-heartedly liked the movie for some reason...

That being said which scene does Bono have the cameo in, 'cause I definently did NOT see him (according to IMDB he has a cameo)

He's in it for 5 seconds, about half way through the movie, he is in the lobby with many other "tenants", talking to somebody in the background, wearing his trademark dark glasses (back then).

Happy to hear somebody else found it interesting too. And like you said, it has nothing to do with Bono because he isn't in the story at all.

Last edited:
thankyou said:

And like you said, it has nothing to do with Bono because he isn't in the story at all.

Well... he did write it. *shrug* Look, it's not the worst movie ever made, but clearly Bono's a lot better at writing music and lyrics than screenwriting.

Here's a cap I took a while back of Bono's cameo.

million23.jpg

Last edited:
The movie is dark moody and dreary, I will watch it on occasion but I feel it is too long. It can leave you feeling depressed. Yes, Bono did write it. And I do like it better than Entropy for sure. That's my two cents worth! :wink:

If you want real Wenders, or even real cinema, just fuckin' watch Paris, Texas. And when you're done and have recovered from watching one of the best five films of the '80s, remind yourself that there was no script.

And then move it to the top of your list. Wings of Desire is magnificent, yes (and who can't love a film dedicated to Ozu, for fuck's sake???), but it is not the man's best film.

I'm so sorry for semi-jacking the thread. But if you were somehow able to enjoy the shit-on-screen debacle which everybody in the production has acknowledged it as, surely you should give the man's other, non-U2, films a spin. The music in his recent stuff is often amazing, but the films themselves just eat it. Previously, the films came first and were helped out by oftentimes overwhelming (in a good way) use of music/musical interludes.

He's a great man. I think that Ozu's Late Spring is finally being released by Cirterion in the near future--make sure at least to rent it, if possible, to see the supplementary Tokyo-Ga, one of the best documentaries Wenders ever produced. It's wonderful.

Rant over. So sorry for those who couldn't care less. But try! It's rewarding, kids!

I just saw MDH for the first time last night, and actually really enjoyed it....although that had more to do with finding Tom Tom an oddly fascinating character than with the overall story.:shrug:

Oh, and as I understand it, the screenplay was actually written by Nicholas Klein, based on a story idea credited to both Bono and Klein.

Hmmmm....I'm wondering if the band should just stick to music. The soundtrack to MDH wasn't too bad, and their soundtrack work for other films has been pretty good. MDH the movie, though, seems to be a bit of a flop from the opinions here.... They're attempt at musical theatre in the 90s was a flop..... And I can't say I'm not a bit skeptical about last year's rumor about U2 doing a Spider-Man musical...(!)... I'm hoping that one was either false or gets shelved....

The films crap, and was that bad that even Mel Gibson tried too stop it being released. The musics great though.

I was not impressed with the movie. I actually couldn't even finish watching it.

I do love the soundtrack though, except the screaming bit.

Utoo said:
Not the soundtrack-----just the movie itself.

I watched the whole thing straight through for the first time today (it's on HBO). I haven't decided yet if I like it or not......

What do you think?

I still feel this way...a few years after seeing it. :lol: I felt kind of bad because it didn't grip me right away like I thought it would. It has this whole hazy vibe to it. Maybe it gets better with repeated viewings, to give it some due. Or maybe it just gets hazier. :huh:

Flying FuManchu said:
I remember a lot of Inteferencers showing the :mad: sign and flaming/ harshly attacking Mel Gibson for calling it "boring as a dog's arse" when the movie came out. LOL...

Bono said Mel's comment ruined the films chances. I don't think his comment would've made any difference. I remember going to watch it at the cinema and no one was there, except me and my partner.

I think the only way the film could've been better was if there was more Bono, Or if Bono acted as Tom Tom .

Overall -Weird Movie

Back
Top Bottom