Million Dollar Hotel DVD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marik

Refugee
i have the MDH dvd, but mine is just the film, no special bonus features. my question is, are the bonus features worth my buying another copy of it? i heard that there is commentary by bono and wim. is bono's just a short commentary, or one that runs the length of the film. i also heard of something called the one dollar diary.

marik said:
my question is, are the bonus features worth my buying another copy of it?
Arguably, the movie wasn't worth buying the first copy of it...

The copy I have of this movie is on VHS ...
I wouldn't be too concerned with the special features or short commentary either ... actually, I don't believe it would be worth buying the DVD just because of that ... since the movie was a complete flop!! Entropy is a better movie (than The Million Dollar Hotel) simply because of the PopMart concert footage. Purchase
that movie on DVD instead !! :applaud:

MDH DVD is worth it for the commentary, but probably not worth watching by itself. Yes, Bono is commenting the length of the movie.

I haven't watched it in a while, but I do remember, in addition to the commentary by Bono and Wenders that runs through the entire film (and which I found very illuminating), there were also some interviews and I think some other features, like behind-the-scenes stuff.

biff said:
I haven't watched it in a while, but I do remember, in addition to the commentary by Bono and Wenders that runs through the entire film (and which I found very illuminating), there were also some interviews and I think some other features, like behind-the-scenes stuff.
Yeah, the behind the scenes stuff is pretty cool albeit done very unprofessionally. Bad editing, no real continuity, but nice raw footage of them working on the film.

I thought it was a very cool film. I related it to Bono's songwriting from the early 90's...I can easily relate the film to several tracks off of Zooropa, like the Wanderer, The First Time, Lemon. They all capture the strange essence of the film and vice-versa.

Last edited:
that set of characters added to wim's shooting makes it a great film.

the initial sequence (the jump with the first time as soundtrack) is magic.

The best part of the whole Million Dollar Hotel era was the soundtrack. Damn, it sounds so lush.

After reading this thread, I fished out my DVD copy of "One Dollar Diary" and gave it a spin. If you haven't seen it, it's a 1.5 hour documentary about the making of the movie and the soundtrack, in equal parts. I think it aired on IFC like twice several years ago. Great documentary. It should've been included with the extra features on the DVD. Highlights include Bono singing and playing a Les Paul (doing lead work!) with the MDH Band doing a quasi-cover of Anarchy in the UK, and also Bono scat singing a barbershop quartet sounding song with Daniel Lanois with the hook "Jumpstart my heart".

Anyone see One Dollar Diary?

Didn't Mel Gibson call this one "boring as a dog's arse"?

It was okay. Strictly okay. Some nice writing. Very, ve-e-e-e-e-ery slow. (And don't jump on me, I love talky movies like "Before Sunrise/Sunset" and "Chasing Amy".) It was a movie that couldn't really decide what it wanted to be -- a thriller, a mystery, a character study. But the Bono cameo was funny.

marik said:
where did you get this? record it off tv? how did you get the dvd? could you post the file online?
I got it from another user on this board. We did a DVD trade. It's a bit large to post (2 or 3 GB). I could try seeding on bittorrent, but it's a very shitty VHS recording.

Back
Top Bottom