Million Dollar Hotel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LiveFire

The Fly
I've just started watching the DVD and I must say this movie is absolute pretentious garbage.

I'm not sure where Wim Wenders lost his talent but his last few films have been awful. The story is just so embarrasingly Bono like which is the only good part of it. :)

Anyway discuss it!

Yeah I love the soundtrack. I found it for $5 at Wal-Mart. It's absolute insanity.

The whole "but you're on television bit" from popmart sarejevo is in it.

I know it's not really a film for everyone, but it has its moments. It's a bit of a mess. I'm a big Wenders fan, and while it isn't one of his better films, it's still more thought provoking, interesting, moving, and better photographed than 99% of the crap littering the screens in theatres.

Plus, what a phenomenal cast. I think everyone did some pretty daring work in this film.

Worse comes to worst, you can just turn the volume down, and you STILL have Milla Jovovich to look at on your TV for a couple hours. Not bad.

laz

Yeah but I don't dig the short hair...

It's not as bad as Wender's last film. It's just suprising how fall he's gone from Wings of Desire. It would have been a much better movie going for a fucked up film noir thing.

It tries to hard to be serious though.

I still feel reasonably ripped off over the whole Ground Beneath her Feet situation.

I went out and paid full price for the soundtrack, just so I had a copy, only for it to appear on ATYCLB.

Admittedly you get a few other tracks as well, but Milla Jovovich singing is not a pleasant experience.

The movie was on the tv in the uk a few weeks ago, I missed it, but I'm not mourning the loss.

I bought the soundtrack at a used CD store for $4. Have never seen the movie, though, but I've read plenty that says how awful it is.

I'm always intrigued by the chapter about MDH in Bill Flanagan's book. To think that Gary Oldman might have been in the film! It makes me wonder if it could have been better, had different people worked on it.

:ohmy:
okay then, it's crap.
no honestly I enjoyed the movie. It looks quite amateurish but the story is lovely.

Film is a pile of crap, IMO. Never met anyone who liked it. Are you sure Wim Wenders was involved, as I have liked any of the other movies of his I have seen?

The movie is actually very dull, but I wouldn't go blaming Wenders, the film IMO suffered because Icon and Mel Gibson, probably wanted a different cut or something, it endds up being a shitty detective movie mixed up with very poor love story. The opening is amazing though, only reason I bough it. L.A.'s Skyline at dawn and Tom Tom jumping from the rooftop of the Millon Dollar Hotel while The First Time is on, is amazing....it's downhill from there. Soundtrack kicks ass, specially the Lanois/Bono songs.

It's horrible to think that Bono wrote it! It seems to be a very amatuerish story about love. I really hated the whole bit about loving an unattainable girl who walks around barefoot reading books in the slums. She's just soooo different. Yuck.

I loved it but then again I really liked Starsky and Hutch, simalair themes imo, btw though seriously I did enjoy MDH

financeguy said:
Film is a pile of crap, IMO. Never met anyone who liked it. Are you sure Wim Wenders was involved, as I have liked any of the other movies of his I have seen?

Yes it is produced and directed by Wim Wenders. It's infinitely more watchable than End of Violence which was just totaly incomprehensable. The man has gone way down hill since his WOD days.

If anything I think Mel Gibson isn't at fault here. For one thing Gibson actually is a more competent director than Wenders. He doesn't have the subtle artistry that Wenders has but he makes up for that in solid story telling. The movie should have just been a very quirky detective movie that lasted about 90 minutes. The love story isn't even really a love story as Tom Tom is just obsessed with Milla and Milla is just a little intriqued by the retard that's following her around.

There's defiently something to the story but it would have to be much more of a straight detective story centering around the Gibson character and not around Tom-Tom. The basic dynamic was Gibson vs the wierdos and that was put off by having it concentrate on Tom-Tom.

Should have shortened it and had less rambling dialouge scenes where it seemed like Bono was trying out one liners for live shows and grounded it a little.

Also while I love the music it was very wrong for the film. It was just so overlypassionate that it made no sense in the world of the film. Stateless is way to heavy for a character as whimsical as Tom-Tom and GBHF just makes no emotional sense at the end of the movie. Should have used more early 90's era detached irony zooropa/passengers type stuff.

Last edited:
I bought that DVD two years ago. I was never able to watch the whole movie from the beginning to the end. I really try to, but I get bored no matter what.
I think I'm gonna try to what it again now.

i wouldn't expect the 2000+ generation of u2 fans to like this movie.

not that it's great or anything, but it's certainly not that bad either.

of course, if it's not totally "rocking!!!!", it's likely quite boring, no?

yes, ralk on indeed...

Zoomerang96 said:
i wouldn't expect the 2000+ generation of u2 fans to like this movie.

Well, considering I saw my first U2 show in '81 I wouldn't actually consider my self a 2000+ U2 fan.

I'm not sure your generalization works.

ramblin rose said:

Well, considering I saw my first U2 show in '81 I wouldn't actually consider my self a 2000+ U2 fan.

I'm not sure your generalization works.

Yeah I think the movie just sucks there's no attention span problem here. I can see someone saying that about Wings of Desire but the movie is just flawed.

LiveFire said:
I've just started watching the DVD and I must say this movie is absolute pretentious garbage.

I'm not sure where Wim Wenders lost his talent but his last few films have been awful. The story is just so embarrasingly Bono like which is the only good part of it. :)

Anyway discuss it!

I tried watching this with another friend who's a big U2 fan, and we both dozed off halfway through. He sold it the next day.

I did, however, see enough of it to have a best/worst line. Nothing beats "I'm fictional." I laughed, and laughed, and laughed....

Ugh! I'd rather sit through Entropy 20 times again than see that movie again. One thing that doesn't help is I can't stand Jeremy Davies. BLAH

Lisa71 said:
Ugh! I'd rather sit through Entropy 20 times again than see that movie again. One thing that doesn't help is I can't stand Jeremy Davies. BLAH

Entropy....now that's a U2 movie!!!!! I think Stephen Dorff plays PHil Joanou dead on, from what I've seen on interviews.

I really tried very hard to watch this movie but I fell asleep all three times I tried to watch it (sorry Bono!).
The soundtrack is pretty darned good though...

Back
Top Bottom