Milan DVD isnt that great

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jdelbove

Acrobat
Why does everyone love the Milan Vertigo DVD. Yes it is true the Italian crowd is better and its an outdoor concert which is always good but the show itself is lacking. Bono’s voice that night is not good. It is one of the worst vocals I have heard from him on the entire Vertigo tour. His voice is scratchy and rough much like his voice was during the Elevation tour. To me the Vertigo tour was the return of Bono’s voice and the Milan show is just not a good representation of his singing. The Chicago DVD has its issues but at least Bono was singing all right that night or at least much better than the Milan show. His voice in Chicago is cleaner and smoother. This alone makes the Chicago show more enjoyable to watch and a better representation of Bono’s singing.

However, clearly neither show captures Bono’s voice at its best like a release of a 3rd or 5th leg show would have done.

Jdelbove said:
However, clearly neither show captures Bono’s voice at its best like a release of a 3rd or 5th leg show would have done.

I think Bono's voice is far better earlier in the tour. On my 1st leg recordings vs. my 3rd leg ones, his voice is night and day. Much better at the beginning.

IMHO

I agree as far as Bono's voice is concerned. For Vertigo voice standards it indeed isn't his best, but IMO much better than Elevation voice. But it's true he had issues with his voice during some of the European concerts, maybe because of too much stress surrounding G8 and Live 8 and everything. His voice was better on all the other legs. BUT I still say Milan is a great show, Italian audiences are just amazing, and there is a lot of stuff I love about the DVD that, for me, makes up for Bono's not so great voice.

I would love to have a concert of the last Vertigo leg fully released on DVD, that would be awsome!

This thread is going to generate some heat. :lol: But I have to agree. Prior to the release I wondered why they wouldnt release the whole thing. After seeing it, I can sort of see why. I dont know what it is, could be the way it was filmed, Bono's voice, the performance itself, or all of the above, but something is sort of lacking. I dont think its bad, but it just doesnt hit me as great.

I honestly dont think the Chicago DVD is that bad. I think it takes a shitload of unwarranted ripping on here. Some ripping is justified, but its not THAT bad. Problem with Chicago is they shot it to early in the tour. They were still trying to get the lighting and song arrangements down for the shoot DURING soundchecks in Chicago. Not a good time to be shooting an official DVD when you are still at that stage of the tour. The reason they did though was because with the original tour itinerary Chicago was much later in the first leg. But when they had to reschedule and start the tour later it moved up obviously and they had already planned to shoot in Chicago prior.

Re: Re: Milan DVD isnt that great

Chrisedge said:

I think Bono's voice is far better earlier in the tour. On my 1st leg recordings vs. my 3rd leg ones, his voice is night and day. Much better at the beginning.

IMHO

I accept your thougths, but I must say that youre wrong. The 1st leg vocals wasnt the best, the 2nd was a bit better, the 3rd much better, 4th was bad and 5th was the stongest.

Just compare Bad from the 1st leg to the 3rd leg versions. On the 1st leg versions he didnt hit the high C in Wide Awake, he didnt hold it for long long either. Well he was much more stable on the 3rd and 5th leg then the first. The opening nights wasnt the best, Chicago, Vancouver...

If you don't belive me just compare 1st leg versions to 3rd and 5th:

Bad(on 3rd leg he hit the HIGH C)

SYCMIOYO(On 2nd leg he started to hold the sing part longer on the 3rg leg he hold it in 8 sec one night)

WGRYWD(High C on 5th leg)

NYD("Say its true" was even stronger on the 4th leg but went much stronger on 5th leg)

MW(they played it faster on the later legs and also he started to use his ZooTV falsetto in the word Child on the 5th leg)

WOWY(He sang it much better on 5th leg)

Pride(He started to add more force in the 2nd leg and continuied with in the later legs)

BD(So much better in the 5th legs, touch in 5 sec)

ISHFWILF(The 5th leg versions...)

Last edited:
I must add that I think Sometimes and Miss Sarajevo, which he started to sing around that time on tour, were very good in Milan, so his voice wasn't that bad. Actually, I thought it was getting better during the show (which it seems to do quite often).

I've heard shows from the first leg where his voice was better and shows from the 3rd leg where his voice was worse, so I don't think you can generalize it. But generally I'd say he had a lot of great nights and no REALLY bad nights on that tour, except maybe some of the South American shows.

Can I say though... apart from Bono's voice that can be better or worse than other during other legs (I thought that his performance in Miss Sarajevo and SYCMIOYO was amazing! I was there and crying!) the fact that the Milan DVD doesn't show the whole gig is the problem. The cuts already take out half of the beauty of a U2 concert, which is the passage between a song and the following one, bono trying to speak the local language and the length as well..I mean... 25 songs in a row is frankly a awesome spectacle when you love them.

i own the milan dvd but i never watch it. Idk what it is specifically. One thing that turned me off was the girl who was brought up on stage who had a major wardrobe malfunction.
I did like OOTS though. But having seen the Hawaii show, no outdoor vertigo show can beat that.
[[chicago vertigo tour dvd is def. better though]]

Bono acts like a bit of a dick in it. Thats why I dont watch it.

MW(they played it faster on the later legs and also he started to use his ZooTV falsetto in the word Child on the 5th leg)

WOWY(He sang it much better on 5th leg)

Pride(He started to add more force in the 2nd leg and continuied with in the later legs)

BD(So much better in the 5th legs, touch in 5 sec)

ISHFWILF(The 5th leg versions...)

- u are deffinately right MW, WOWY, Pride, BD and ISHFWILF on the 5th leg were rediculous I would say up there with the best preformaces of these songs ever. I think Bono sang pride and WOWY better on the 5th leg than he did even in the late 80's.

Doesnt piss anyone off that they cant just release a DVD of a perfect night its like they know the camera is on so they get nervous. u know

But Chicago DVD is way better

It would be great if they had released the whole show. The first three or so songs are typical fast cut Hamilton but starting with I still haven't found..., the directing improves considerably.

And whoever said it, the voice was definitely at its best in 3rd and 5th leg.

I agree that neither Milan nor Chicago display U2 at their best and that it would have been much better to film the official DVD much later on in the tour. Chicago was certainly filmed way too early, the overall feel and style of the show hadn't quite found it's rhythm and I think that the entire Milan show would have been released, but I'm not sure the band were entirely happy with it, so they probably agree with your points.

Personally I've always enjoyed the much larger shows U2 do anyway, it's partly why I love Sydney, Mexico and Slane so much, there's a real sense of an event about them, something which a U2 show should be about and should really demonstrate on the DVD. IMO Boston and Chicago felt too closed in for my liking, they just seemed to be another stop on the tour.

Not having the camera's at the best night is a problem U2 have encountered in the past though. With all that said, I think the Milan rendition of Miss Sarajevo is excellent though, Bono's sings it well and his dedication to the victims of the London Bombings is very touching and it's captured on DVD forever.

Last edited:
The big mistake of Chicago is not showing the fans (enough), especially compared to other U2 DVDs by the same director.

The Milan show got the best performence of Miss Sarajevo, I can't find any other version when he sings the "L'amoure" part so strong like he did on that show.

You think they'd have learned their lesson by now huh?

ZooTV - best of the pack I'm reviewing here but personally I would have suggested another country and maybe just maybe an earlier leg.

PopMart - not necessarily shot too early in the tour, but there were far better shows after that - the crazy Mexican U2 fans save the day here

Elevation Boston - shot wayyyyyy too early in the tour, nobody, especially the crowd, saves the day lol

Elevation Slane - PERFECT timing... notably, later in the tour and on home turf

Vertigo - shot way too early in the tour.

ESPECIALLY in the aspect of Bono's voice. Bono's one of those guys who gets better as the tour goes on, imo.

And the intensity and character of songs like The Fly, Electric Co, in fact most of the songs, just using the last tour as an example, got remarkably better as the tour progressed.

Because of the differences in the arena and stadium shows we needed a stadium DVD. It's disappointing that we only got part of a show in Milan.

*fingers crossed that a FULL stadium show will be released*

Having said that I do watch Milan a lot. High points for me are Elevation, IWF, MS, OOTS and WOWY (especiallly for the t-shirt!)

The highest point for me is ISHFWILF :drool:

Erm, yes, I do skip the nonsense just before it! :wink:

:rockon:

gabrielvox said:
ZooTV - best of the pack I'm reviewing here but personally I would have suggested another country

What on earth is wrong with Australia? :huh:

And regarding the original topic, I've only really watched Milan once. The song selection is poor and while I am not normally in the "Bono is quite off-putting" crowd, on this DVD, Bono really is quite off-putting.

ZooTV - I would have suggested another country

Boo!

Actually, an earlier leg probably would have been better for the Zoo TV release. The band, especially Bono seem tired in the Sydney show. I would have liked to see Stockholm or DC as such, or some rad pro-shot they've been keeping from us for 15 years.

One day.

I didn't mean it as a slight against Australia as a country, but imo, compared to other crowds I saw on other proshot bootlegs, Australian crowd wasn't as good as others, that's all. Don't get all nationalistic, I just didn't think the crowd was all that hot. For than matter I thought Boston sucked too, so what? lol

Axver said:

I am not normally in the "Bono is quite off-putting" crowd, on this DVD, Bono really is quite off-putting.

Me neither and it's possibly my favourite DVD Bono-wise, after Slane.

Peterrrrr said:
The Milan show got the best performence of Miss Sarajevo, I can't find any other version when he sings the "L'amoure" part so strong like he did on that show.

I second that. That alone puts other releases to shame.

I can't figure out how some see 3rd, 4th or the 5th leg stronger vocally? Miss Sarajevo was weak on all those legs. Listen to Santiago, just not vocally strong as in Milan.

The title of the thread should be Milan DVD is so great

markoajda said:

I second that. That alone puts other releases to shame.

I can't figure out how some see 3rd, 4th or the 5th leg stronger vocally? Miss Sarajevo was weak on all those legs. Listen to Santiago, just not vocally strong as in Milan.

The title of the thread should be Milan DVD is so great

His voice on 3rd and 5th leg was stronger in almost ever song, except Miss Sarajevo, Cobl and SYCMIOYO. Strange... 4th leg was worst.

I think that the reason why Miss Sarajevo didnt sound so strong on 3rd and 5th leg like it did on the Milan show was that Bono did add to much "Kermit" falsetto to it and not sang it as clean as he did on the Milan show.

We've all been to a better show than Milan, Chicago, Mexico & Sydney....thats it.

Sex 'on TV' & Sex in your own sheets are two different things....

gabrielvox said:
I didn't mean it as a slight against Australia as a country, but imo, compared to other crowds I saw on other proshot bootlegs, Australian crowd wasn't as good as others, that's all. Don't get all nationalistic, I just didn't think the crowd was all that hot. For than matter I thought Boston sucked too, so what? lol

OK, let's get this clear. I'm a New Zealander, and I've lived in Australia long enough that I could write a book about its problems without sounding like I'm spouting misguided and uninformed trans-Tasman vitriol. I even hate Australian concert crowds - give them a seat and they'll treat the gig like it's a movie. So I'm not getting "all nationalistic"; I'm calling out your poor statement. I really don't see the basis for your complaint, especially not in how it impacts the quality of the official release (I can't say I've ever paid attention to the crowd, not even on the supposedly shithouse Boston DVD). If there's any problem with Sydney, it's due to the band being tired and the circumstances around the gig with Adam missing the previous night's show. I don't see any justification for "it shouldn't have been shot in Australia" except for the "it should have been shot earlier in the tour, thus excluding the Aussie gigs from contention" argument.

good grief man!

:rolleyes:

it's called an opinion. i think the crowd sucked. you didnt even pay attention to the crowd, so maybe you should go watch it again, compare to the other crowds from other bootlegs of the tour like i did, then come back and state your own opinion. but i'll still think the crowd sucked.

and, especially when we're talking about U2 shows, the crowd has a huge impact on the filming of an official release, are you for real man? there have been entire dissertations given on the subject of the relationship between crowd and U2, but suffice it for me to sum it up for you: U2 depends very much on it's crowd, so yes a mediocre crowd can and will have an effect on an official release.

i do agree with brother borat's principle though...sex on the real is far different than sex on tv :wink:

Blue Room said:
This thread is going to generate some heat. :lol: But I have to agree. Prior to the release I wondered why they wouldnt release the whole thing. After seeing it, I can sort of see why. I dont know what it is, could be the way it was filmed, Bono's voice, the performance itself, or all of the above, but something is sort of lacking. I dont think its bad, but it just doesnt hit me as great.

Agree. I can´t explain it either, but it´s not that great as I expected it to be. I guess they (the band) felt the same. With that said, it´s a pity that the Vertigo tour doesn´t have a complete outdoor gig released on dvd. Lets hope the U23D film does it the justice it deserves.

As for the Chicago dvd, I kinda like it. Though it would be much better if the camera could stand still for more than, say, 3 seconds? Hamish Hamilton´s style can be sooooo annoying...

gabrielvox said:
it's called an opinion. i think the crowd sucked. you didnt even pay attention to the crowd, so maybe you should go watch it again, compare to the other crowds from other bootlegs of the tour like i did, then come back and state your own opinion. but i'll still think the crowd sucked.

and, especially when we're talking about U2 shows, the crowd has a huge impact on the filming of an official release, are you for real man? there have been entire dissertations given on the subject of the relationship between crowd and U2, but suffice it for me to sum it up for you: U2 depends very much on it's crowd, so yes a mediocre crowd can and will have an effect on an official release.

If anybody should be rolling their eyes, it's me at you. What a load of complete horseshit. The whole prattle about the crowd is clearly overhyped on Interference. I buy DVDs to watch the band, not the crowd, and I never even gave a minute's thought to what the crowd were doing until I came to Interference, because funnily enough, I was watching the band. Now, sure, especially terrible or fantastic crowds are going to impact the band; the former is plain as day on bootlegs like 1981-11-03 and the latter is pretty obvious on any South American bootleg. But considering the band put in a strong effort in Sydney ZooTV and any kind of weaknesses (which are not even remotely as strong as, say, Popmart Mexico) can be easily put down to tiredness and the stress of Adam missing the previous gig, I think it's clear that the crowd were not especially notable either way. Therefore, it's completely understandable I didn't notice the crowd and think your opinion on them is completely moot, not to mention irrelevant to an argument regarding whether it should've been shot in Australia.

Seriously, why even pay attention to the 45,000 relative nobodies in the crowd when you could be watching the band?

Axver - I don't know what your issue is. Your opinion is your opinion. You already asserted, and reasserted, that you paid absolutely no attention to the crowd. It's really that simple. I pay attention to crowds for somewhat personal reasons and I pay extra attention to how crowds react to setlists and various things U2 has tried over the years.

In a few of the 10,000 or so times I've watched ZOO tv in various incarnations of bootlegs and official release, I noted that the crowd in Australia didn't seem as hyped as other places. Was that a result of U2 themselves being tired? Was U2 feeling tired a result of any discernable less difference in crowd hype than in any other country? It's a cyclical cause-effect-cause argument, and we could go round and round all day about it. I'm simply rolling my eyes at you because you took a simple statement 'I thought the crowd was less (whatever) than other venues/countries' and turned it into a personal crusade. (EDIT: i goofed, i put the order of my first statement wrong, so I'm editing here... who cares....) THe point is, you're trying to declare my "maybes" garbage with your absolute statements which is pretty illogical when talking about things that have so many variables plugged into them.

You can declare my opinion a load of moot irrelevant horseshit all you want, in the end, I really won't give a fuck.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom